Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: NFL Draft 2013: Keenan Allen prospect profile

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

NFL Draft 2013: Keenan Allen prospect profile

Allen, an explosive downfield threat, is widely thought to be the 2013 NFL Draft's best wide receiver prospect available.

NFL teams value big-play wide receivers more than ever in today's game, and Keenan Allen, a junior from California, is projected by many to be the best available wideout in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft.
    Allen, at 6'3, 206 pounds, has the ability to win jump balls down the field and is a physical, complete package of a receiver -- he's also SB Nation's top-rated receiver prospect. In 2012 for the Golden Bears, he caught 61 passes for 737 yards and six touchdowns. He initially was set to play for the Alabama Crimson Tide as a safety before switching to California and the wide receiver position.

Pros:
    - SB Nation's Matthew Fairburn has a detailed scouting report for Allen, noting that his elusiveness after the catch (YAC, to use the designated buzzword) is one of his best qualities.
    - Not-great quarterbacking. Much like Larry Fitzgerald toiling away with the Arizona Cardinals and fondly remembering the Kurt Warner days, Allen didn't exactly have one of college football's elite signal-callers in Zach Maynard. Still, this may have only served to further showcase his skills, as Fairburn writes that Allen's ability to contort his body and pull down catches shows it doesn't need to be a perfect situation for Allen to excel.
    - Physical traits. With his height and sneaky speed, Allen can race by defenders, then jump over them to win a ball at its highest point. CBSSports.com's Rob Rang says this is due to, among other things, superior hand-eye coordination.
    Here's a compilation from draftbreakdown.com of Allen against Ohio State and USC this season, in which he caught 18 overall passes for 173 total yards:
    Cons:
    - Drops. Not sure why, but it seems that the receivers who make incredible catches are also susceptible to a case of the drops once in awhile. Allen is this receiver.
    - A knee injury suffered late in the 2012 season will be tested in pre-draft workouts, and could affect his stock if it limits his athleticism.
    - NFL.com's profile believes Allen's speed isn't quite at the top-level in that category.
    http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/13/39...nfl-draft-2013
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

NFL Draft 2013: Keenan Allen prospect profile

I think Keenan Allen could do great things in our offense. He'll catch short passes and break a few tackles and make some guys miss to pick up extra yardage.

He really reminds me of Brandon Marshall, who also lacks ideal top end speed but makes up for it by using his size and making good moves once the ball is on his hands. I don't see him getting past the rams so unless we are able to trade back he'd have to b the #12 pick.

I think Patterson wins the popular vote by a landslide if we are going to take a wr at 12. But Id be happy if we got Allen there.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Patterson will be gone before 12. My fall back is Allen. The knee injury wasn't serious. Allen does it all short, medium, and deep catches. Not elite speed but enough to get decent YAC. He is a chain mover and endzone threat.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollister, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Keenan Allen will make a better pro than Patterson. He is versatile and appears to be a more polished route runner making his transition to the NFL smoother.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he will be a stud
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If this kid runs sub 4.5 he'll be gone before we pick IMO. If this kid had a full healthy season with a big time QB last year he would be a no doubt top 7 pick. I ****in hope he runs 4.55-4.6 and we pick him. He reminds me of a bigger Anquan Boldin with better deep ball ability.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I read on one of the draft analysis that he compares to Dez Bryant of the Cowboys. I'll take that any time. "Pro comparison: Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys - Both Dez Bryant and Keenan Allen aren't true burners down the field but have excellent athleticism and are very physical wideouts. Allen also has some of the same issues with drops, though he hasn't shown any of the immaturity Bryant has early in his career." from SBNation.com
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Looavul
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Allen would be a perfect complement to Wallace, if we go that route. Allen as the underneath and "post up" physical receiver with moves and space to run while Wallace keeps the safety high.

Wallace, Allen(1), Bailey(3a), Swope(4), Mathews as our 2013 WRs.
    Trade Bess.

that could be a supercharged offense.
    Quote Quote