Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Dolphins plan to run the read-option in 2013.

1. -31
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Green Bay was using some of the looks, even though Rodgers was hardly going to take off. I mentioned this several weeks ago, that don't think only the teams with athletic quarterbacks are going to abuse something that obviously befuddles NFL defenses right now. Everybody will incorporate some if it. If a team plays Seattle one week and gets gashed by Wilson, then unexpectedly sees the same look midgame a week later, the defenders aren't going to completely ignore it based on the identity of the quarterback. The brain and legs will naturally remember, and panic.

Very, very few games will unfold like San Francisco against Green Bay, with Kaepernick running time after time. The coordinators are looking to cause confusion and hesitation in the secondary. This is the latest tool. I guarantee plenty of them are salivating right now, drawing up read option schemes, and ones that naturally flow off their typical tendencies.

Tannehill has straight line ability and isn't a klutz at sensing or avoiding contact, like Robert Griffin. But Tannehill also isn't nimble and instinctive like Wilson, able to turn himself into a ball while going down. I'd be worried Tannehill would take several jarring blows to the legs if we run this frequently.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    OK this offense was designed when Rich Rodriquez (formerly of WVU, Michigan, now at Arizona) was at a small college can't think of the name and they ran a zone play out of shotgun and the QB pulled the ball cus he saw the DE crashing down for the running back. The theory is instead of blocking the backside end/ standup linebacker in 3-4 defenses with a fullback or Hback in the shotgun you block him by making him defend the quarterback. Defenses will slow down qbs pulling the ball and running backs will have much more success. I like putting a read on all shot gun runs but I don't think it is a staple in the NFL unless you're QB is the size of Cam Newton or Kapernick. We ran it 2-5 times a game at the end of the year and I expect that number to be about the same next year. Good change of pace, not a staple for our offense.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    In memoriam

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mexico City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    well there's the stats talk again...i can promise you andrew luck didn't take anywhere near the same level of contact shots that robert griffen took in 2012...we're talking about kill shots with griffen in all kinds of vulnerable/exposed positions...
    Oh, you can *promise* me? It's all settled then, I guess.

Pray tell, how many "kill shots" (whatever that term means) did Kapernick get? Or Russell Wilson?

I swear, inertia is the strongest force in the universe. People don't only fear change, they pathologically hate it.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Tannehill was using the read option late in the year a little bit and broke off some long runs(had two 30+ yard runs in back to back weeks against the Jaguars and Bills). Using the read option next year is not something that will be new to Tannehill in 2013 and he has shown glimpses that he can do it successfully. If they want to run it next year that is fine, however lets not overdue it next year and risk a serious injury. If Tannehill runs it once or twice a game to take advantage of the defense in certain situations then I think it can work, but it definitely shouldn't be used like it is in Seattle, Washington and San Francisco. I don't want to see my young franchise quarterback taking hits on every play or suffering a devastating injury like RGIII did this past season. Use it sparingly like they did in December and it can work.

Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfin View Post
    OK this offense was designed when Rich Rodriquez (formerly of WVU, Michigan, now at Arizona) was at a small college can't think of the name and they ran a zone play out of shotgun and the QB pulled the ball cus he saw the DE crashing down for the running back.
    Yeah, from what I understand it was invented mostly by mistake. The quarterback was apologizing for screwing up the intended call but Rodriguez said don't worry about it, that actually looked pretty good, let's run it again.

That's the story often told on television, anyway. I haven't researched the specifics.

The top ranked Canes team of 2002 went to Morgantown in midseason and had a bunch of trouble with the read option early in the game, until settling down and becoming more aggressive up front. That 2002 Miami team preferred to play deep safeties and read and react more than the veteran 2001 team did. Only at West Virginia were they forced to change.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    In memoriam

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mexico City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfin View Post
    OK this offense was designed when Rich Rodriquez (formerly of WVU, Michigan, now at Arizona) was at a small college can't think of the name and they ran a zone play out of shotgun and the QB pulled the ball cus he saw the DE crashing down for the running back. The theory is instead of blocking the backside end/ standup linebacker in 3-4 defenses with a fullback or Hback in the shotgun you block him by making him defend the quarterback. Defenses will slow down qbs pulling the ball and running backs will have much more success. I like putting a read on all shot gun runs but I don't think it is a staple in the NFL unless you're QB is the size of Cam Newton or Kapernick. We ran it 2-5 times a game at the end of the year and I expect that number to be about the same next year. Good change of pace, not a staple for our offense.
    Option football goes way earlier, but yeah, Rodriguez is generally acknowledged as the creator of the QB inside read (also known as option read, shotgun option, etc).

I don't get why people seem to think you need a freak of nature (more than any NFL player is already) to run these plays. You need to be smart and know how to read a DE, that's about it. Yeah, you're going to take some hits; but didn't we also praise Tannehill (as we do almost every pocket QB) for "standing tall" and "waiting until the last second"?
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphone View Post

Pray tell, how many "kill shots" (whatever that term means) did Kapernick get? Or Russell Wilson?

I swear, inertia is the strongest force in the universe. People don't only fear change, they pathologically hate it.
    Maybe Ill end up on the wrong side of history, but I just cant see a QB that relies on running having long term success in the league. Ill admit its an assumption on my part. To me, RG3 needs to run to be successful. Thats what he does. Thats what he has always done. For better or worse, he is what he is. Its just way too easy for me to picture him getting hit hard and hurt on a regular basis. Most sacks are a different animal than getting popped while scrambling.

Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks

i knew i was making a mistake quoting any post from you...go back to the clouds and act like we never crossed paths...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Option football goes way earlier, but yeah, Rodriguez is generally acknowledged as the creator of the QB inside read (also known as option read, shotgun option, etc).

I don't get why people seem to think you need a freak of nature (more than any NFL player is already) to run these plays. You need to be smart and know how to read a DE, that's about it. Yeah, you're going to take some hits; but didn't we also praise Tannehill (as we do almost every pocket QB) for "standing tall" and "waiting until the last second"?
    yes, option football can be traced back to well before any of our parents were born.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    In memoriam

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mexico City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Maybe Ill end up on the wrong side of history, but I just cant see a QB that relies on running having long term success in the league. Ill admit its an assumption on my part. To me, RG3 needs to run to be successful. Thats what he does. Thats what he has always done. For better or worse, he is what he is. Its just way too easy for me to picture him getting hit hard and hurt on a regular basis. Most sacks are a different animal than getting popped while scrambling.
    Well, if your QB can't throw, then I'm obviously in agreement with you (see Tebow). But if a QB can run *in addition to* passing, why not milk that for all it's worth? The prime example of this of course is Tarkenton, but Steve Young is another great example. Now we have offenses that milk that talent further along; why not take advantage?

I would agree sacks are, in general, "softer" than an open-field hit, but that's what sliding and going to the sidelines is for.
    Quote Quote