Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Pushes for Higher Minimum Wage on Plant Tour

1. -21
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I tend to think that prices would go up instead of workers being let go. I mean, does any minimum wage workplace hire some surplus of people? For the most part, minimum wage jobs are all about figuring out how to get things done while spending as little as possible. They aint gonna fire anybody. Now price increases would be a reality. Personally, I dont mind paying an extra five cents for a McChicken and I shop at Publix and I think they already pay better than minimum wage, so it wouldnt be that huge of a deal for me. I guess it would force some Wal-Mart price raises though. I just cant see leaving minimum wage the same even as the cost of living keeps rising. As far as I can see, any other time minimum wag has been raised it hasnt had the negative impact some claim it will have.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Forget the WalMarts...this is gonna kill the mid-majors and mom and pops that already battle WalMart for every dollar of profit they can make. People seriously dont get that raising the min wage is not going to come out of a business profits if they can avoid it. It will be passed on to consumers in higher prices, and fewer jobs will be created because why hire someone you "maybe" could use if you can demand a little more from your existing staff.

This just cements the fact that Obama has ZERO experience in the workforce outside of Government.......just so ****ing stupid about how Profits and Loss work in the real world with your own money.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Obama Pushes for Higher Minimum Wage on Plant Tour

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I tend to think that prices would go up instead of workers being let go. I mean, does any minimum wage workplace hire some surplus of people? For the most part, minimum wage jobs are all about figuring out how to get things done while spending as little as possible. They aint gonna fire anybody. Now price increases would be a reality. Personally, I dont mind paying an extra five cents for a McChicken and I shop at Publix and I think they already pay better than minimum wage, so it wouldnt be that huge of a deal for me. I guess it would force some Wal-Mart price raises though. I just cant see leaving minimum wage the same even as the cost of living keeps rising. As far as I can see, any other time minimum wag has been raised it hasnt had the negative impact some claim it will have.
    The thing isn't that they have surplus people and will only let them go, it is that they will eliminate people then cut non-essential services or roll them up into the job description of those left behind.

The minimum wage has also never been raised 24% at one time before so this could have effects that reverberate up the food chain. Basically, everyone making anywhere near $9/hour now will expect a raise as their skill set would theoretically be more valuable because purely unskilled labor garners $9/hr.

I would rather do away with the minimum wage and see us invest in training/education that makes people more valuable than $9/hr. If the government insists on interceding, this would at least produce some positive results and not just expand the welfare state.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

4. -24

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Forget the WalMarts...this is gonna kill the mid-majors and mom and pops that already battle WalMart for every dollar of profit they can make. People seriously dont get that raising the min wage is not going to come out of a business profits if they can avoid it. It will be passed on to consumers in higher prices, and fewer jobs will be created because why hire someone you "maybe" could use if you can demand a little more from your existing staff.

This just cements the fact that Obama has ZERO experience in the workforce outside of Government.......just so ****ing stupid about how Profits and Loss work in the real world with your own money.
    Yeah Im not under any illusion that the cost wouldnt be pushed on to the public. And the mom-pop stores would be hurt. It sucks, but I dont know what the solution is. Minimum wage cant stay static forever. You cant bitch about all the people who need government assistance to get by and in the next breath argue that minimum wage shouldnt be increasing IMO. As the cost of living increases, so should minimum wage.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah Im not under any illusion that the cost wouldnt be pushed on to the public. And the mom-pop stores would be hurt. It sucks, but I dont know what the solution is. Minimum wage cant stay static forever. You cant bitch about all the people who need government assistance to get by and in the next breath argue that minimum wage shouldnt be increasing IMO. As the cost of living increases, so should minimum wage.
    The minimum wage was never meant to be a "living" wage. It was supposed to be an entry into the job market for people. You also need to consider the jobs that wont be made because of this. Ask any manager, the first cut on any P&L is to labor...either cutting hours or cutting people. If you cant justify a price hike to offset the payroll spike, what are you supposed to do? Nothing outside of a new broad tax will slow down growth more than telling employers you gotta pay more than you think your employees are worth....because not only the minimum goes up, all the rest near that dollar amount get bumped too, because employees would have a fit if someone under them suddenly got to make the same as them.

Its just stupid......nothing else can be said
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Obama Pushes for Higher Minimum Wage on Plant Tour

The minimum wage was never meant to be a "living" wage. It was supposed to be an entry into the job market for people. You also need to consider the jobs that wont be made because of this. Ask any manager, the first cut on any P&L is to labor...either cutting hours or cutting people. If you cant justify a price hike to offset the payroll spike, what are you supposed to do? Nothing outside of a new broad tax will slow down growth more than telling employers you gotta pay more than you think your employees are worth....because not only the minimum goes up, all the rest near that dollar amount get bumped too, because employees would have a fit if someone under them suddenly got to make the same as them.

You sir, are correct!

Quote Quote  

7. -27

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The thing isn't that they have surplus people and will only let them go, it is that they will eliminate people then cut non-essential services or roll them up into the job description of those left behind.

Fast food giants, Wal-Mart and most other minimum wage places already have cutting non-essential services down to a science.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Just curious, what exactly is minimum wage in the US?
    Quote Quote  

8. -28

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Today $7.25 an hour. Obama proposes $9 an hour....$1.75 doesnt sound like a lot on the surface, but multiply that $1.75 times every single employee and every single hour they work, then factor in other wages that would need to rise......it's not really that hard to see why job growth would remain stagnant and unemployment would go nowhere but up
    Quote Quote  

9. -29

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Today $7.25 an hour. Obama proposes $9 an hour....$1.75 doesnt sound like a lot on the surface, but multiply that $1.75 times every single employee and every single hour they work, then factor in other wages that would need to rise......it's not really that hard to see why job growth would remain stagnant and unemployment would go nowhere but up
    Yeah...If you want to increase it, I much better plan would be to do it slowly over time and not just bump it by $1.75 overnight. Really it should bump up a few cents every year or two. I have worked for less than 7.25 an hour though. My first job I made $50 for an 8 hour day, which is actually above Bahamas minimum wage.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah...If you want to increase it, I much better plan would be to do it slowly over time and not just bump it by $1.75 overnight. Really it should bump up a few cents every year or two. I have worked for less than 7.25 an hour though. My first job I made $50 for an 8 hour day, which is actually above Bahamas minimum wage.
    Not to show my age...but my first minimum wage job after school paid less than $5 an hour......made sure i got what i needed for a better job and GTFO
    Quote Quote