Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Obama Pushes for Higher Minimum Wage on Plant Tour

1. -41
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boynton Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark13 View Post
    Honestly bro I think you're splitting hairs. If you could afford $9.00 an hour i'm sure you could find someone who would be happy to work for you. If you want them to care that's a two way street that's hardly ever just based on money. Treat them well and if they don't seem to care replace them with someone who does.

When/if the new Min wage takes effect deal with it then. If the employee is worth a raise to $10 then by all means do it if not your not obligated to do anything.
    i mean its not really spitting hairs we are talking a 160$ a month difference.. obviously ill figure it out. i just would prefer to pay someone more than minimum wage. Probably just do a commision based system.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith21 View Post
    I would want the person to care -it is very hard to find a minimum wage employee to care...
    Minimum wage workers who are fluent in English are rarely worth minimum wage. The general attitude seems to be, "I'm only making minimum wage so I don't need to focus or work very hard." I've had much better luck with retired people looking to stay busy than young people.

A 18 to 30 year old can work circles around a 55-70 year old ... for about 10-15 minutes. After that they lose focus. By the end of an 8 hour shift the older person has done 3 to 4 times the work and higher quality work.
    Last edited by GoFins!; 02-15-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    “I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith21 View Post
    i mean its not really spitting hairs we are talking a 160$ a month difference...
    But it's YOUR $160 a month. YOUR money is easy to spend. If everyone with Landshark's mentality just paid $80 more a month in taxes then the government could use that money to supplement the income of minimum wage earners! Heck, he seems like a good guy who's willing to spend his own money to help out the less fortunate. I bet he'd pay $160 a month to help out two struggling minimum wage earners!
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    But it's YOUR $160 a month. YOUR money is easy to spend. If everyone with Landshark's mentality just paid $80 more a month in taxes then the government could use that money to supplement the income of minimum wage earners! Heck, he seems like a good guy who's willing to spend his own money to help out the less fortunate. I bet he'd pay $160 a month to help out two struggling minimum wage earners!
    Whoa now, If you read my scenario with any comprehension I stayed within Smiths guidelines and never once suggested he pay a dime more. Take your time and read carefully.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He said, "giving someone $8.00 an hour is a little easier than $10.00."

You accused him of splitting hairs and then suggested $9.00 if he could afford it.

How is $9.00 not more than $8.00?

If it's just splitting hairs then why can't you come up with the difference? Don't you want to actually do something to help someone else make more than minimum wage?
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Exactly. The minimum wage pushes or exceeds $9.00 per hour in most of the markets as is. I live in one of the poorest states in the country, and our capital already has a minimum wage of $9.00. That and most companies pay more than that as is. Even the McDonald's down the street pays $8.00+, well over the minimum wage. Yet raising it is going to drive us into financial ruin? More partisan junk. If Obama said he found a cure for diabetes and he gave it to everyone, the righties would still blast him for not curing cancer instead...
    Doesn't that kind of say it all?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

7. -47

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark13 View Post
    Honestly bro I think you're splitting hairs. If you could afford $9.00 an hour i'm sure you could find someone who would be happy to work for you. If you want them to care that's a two way street that's hardly ever just based on money. Treat them well and if they don't seem to care replace them with someone who does.

When/if the new Min wage takes effect deal with it then. If the employee is worth a raise to $10 then by all means do it if not your not obligated to do anything.
    Have you ever owned or ran a business? If you did, you would see how foolish this statement is.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    No
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    No
    Yeah....we will wait for you to catch up though.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Massachusetts & Connecticut are two of the top 5 richest states in the U.S. Minimum wage is 8.00 & 8.25, respectively. Doesn't that kind of say it all?
    Quote Quote