Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 72

Thread: Obama Pushes for Higher Minimum Wage on Plant Tour

  1. -51
    LandShark13's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2009
    Posts:
    1,606
    vCash:
    1501
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    He said, "giving someone $8.00 an hour is a little easier than $10.00."

    You accused him of splitting hairs and then suggested $9.00 if he could afford it.

    How is $9.00 not more than $8.00?

    If it's just splitting hairs then why can't you come up with the difference? Don't you want to actually do something to help someone else make more than minimum wage?

    Smith stated he was thinking about hiring an employee and paying them Minimum wage ($7.79) or a dollar over that ($8.79). I rounded up to $9.00 as I saw $0.21 an hour as splitting hairs. Not doing it because of some fear that some where down the line Minimum wage would increase Is silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Have you ever owned or ran a business? If you did, you would see how foolish this statement is.
    Our family ran a local Jewelery store for 26 years. At one point we had two non family employees. Was a mom and pop store but we always paid well over Min wage due to the type of people we were looking for.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    JamesBW43's Avatar
    You're standing on my neck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2005
    Posts:
    3,704
    vCash:
    5377
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Yeah....we will wait for you to catch up though.
    That's very kind of you, but I try not to play that game anymore.

    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    GoFins!'s Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    492
    vCash:
    1096
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Keep posting. I love being able to know what Fox News is saying without actually watching. Easily the worst posts on this forum come from GoFins. Constant stream of bull****...
    Ignorance can be educated. An ignorant person can earn degrees to soothe insecurities, but all the schooling in the world will never teach an ignorant person to be intelligent. There's no substitute for common sense and real life experience. Let us know when you dare to spread your wings and leave your comfort zone in liberal academia.

    Education is isolation from reality.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I live in one of the poorest states in the country, and our capital already has a minimum wage of $9.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Massachusetts & Connecticut are two of the top 5 richest states in the U.S. Minimum wage is 8.00 & 8.25, respectively.
    Are these exceptions or do poor states generally have high minimum wages and rich states generally have lower minimum wages? Are people implying there's some inverse connection between minimum wage and prosperity?
    Last edited by GoFins!; 02-15-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    “I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."


    - Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    499
    vCash:
    2648
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post

    Are these exceptions or do poor states generally have high minimum wages and rich states generally have lower minimum wages? Are people implying there's some inverse connection between minimum wage and prosperity?

    There's absolutely no correlation, I was just responding to MoFinz who implied that a state's poor condition was somehow related to their minimum wage.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    Eshlemon's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    4,830
    vCash:
    1510
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Exactly. The minimum wage pushes or exceeds $9.00 per hour in most of the markets as is. I live in one of the poorest states in the country, and our capital already has a minimum wage of $9.00. That and most companies pay more than that as is. Even the McDonald's down the street pays $8.00+, well over the minimum wage. Yet raising it is going to drive us into financial ruin? More partisan junk. If Obama said he found a cure for diabetes and he gave it to everyone, the righties would still blast him for not curing cancer instead...
    Federal minimum wage should be state indexed because of macroeconomic differences. Santa Fe's $10.29 may fit their population but doesn't for all the state which is set at $7.50. Just because a New York, Illinois, and others refuses to adjust FMW to comparable macroeconomics of other states isn't justification to raise the bottom and others a FMW penalty. State index and leave $7.25 for Idaho...raise New York to $9. Or if your speech over in Asheville has anything to do with worker economic fairness and not just political populist BS the President would call for a state indexed federal minimum wage that would make the FMW $9 in NC and $12 in Illinois.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,825
    vCash:
    5030
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Doesn't that kind of say it all?
    Come on Mo. Are you really going to reduce such a complex thing such as an economy to a single variable? I expect that from the FoxNewsBots, but not from you. New Mexico is poor for lots of reasons, but the minimum wage in the wealthiest city in our state is certainly not it...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,825
    vCash:
    5030
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Federal minimum wage should be state indexed because of macroeconomic differences. Santa Fe's $10.29 may fit their population but doesn't for all the state which is set at $7.50. Just because a New York, Illinois, and others refuses to adjust FMW to comparable macroeconomics of other states isn't justification to raise the bottom and others a FMW penalty. State index and leave $7.25 for Idaho...raise New York to $9. Or if your speech over in Asheville has anything to do with worker economic fairness and not just political populist BS the President would call for a state indexed federal minimum wage that would make the FMW $9 in NC and $12 in Illinois.
    But couldn't that still be the plan? He mentioned it as an initiative in the state of the union, he didn't lay down the entire bill and tell us to live with it. We have the usual suspects bombarding Obama for something that hasn't even happened yet, meaning there are no details to attack. If this is going to happen, the final product will look vastly different than what we are envisioning after the address. I think a fair and objective person would say, "OK, he'd like to address the federal minimum wage. Let's see what he plans to offer."

    Seems premature to be acting like Obama just raped everyone's kittens with a blow torch. Not you, obviously. I appreciate that you actually came to the table with an intelligent response. It gets tiring reading the "lolrz liberals blah blah" crap that's been stinking up this forum lately...
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    Eshlemon's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    4,830
    vCash:
    1510
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    But couldn't that still be the plan? He mentioned it as an initiative in the state of the union, he didn't lay down the entire bill and tell us to live with it. We have the usual suspects bombarding Obama for something that hasn't even happened yet, meaning there are no details to attack. If this is going to happen, the final product will look vastly different than what we are envisioning after the address. I think a fair and objective person would say, "OK, he'd like to address the federal minimum wage. Let's see what he plans to offer."

    Seems premature to be acting like Obama just raped everyone's kittens with a blow torch. Not you, obviously. I appreciate that you actually came to the table with an intelligent response. It gets tiring reading the "lolrz liberals blah blah" crap that's been stinking up this forum lately...
    Then its on Obama for not explaining and fully disclosing his position effectively again. Which during the campaign the President was magnanimous to admit was a failure on his part during the first term to but wouldn't make the mistake this go around. So any backlash over perceived unfair criticism of a plan he failed to disclose is completely on the President...by his own admission.
    Last edited by Eshlemon; 02-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    MoFinz's Avatar
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    3,052
    vCash:
    1016
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark13 View Post
    Smith stated he was thinking about hiring an employee and paying them Minimum wage ($7.79) or a dollar over that ($8.79). I rounded up to $9.00 as I saw $0.21 an hour as splitting hairs. Not doing it because of some fear that some where down the line Minimum wage would increase Is silly.



    Our family ran a local Jewelery store for 26 years. At one point we had two non family employees. Was a mom and pop store but we always paid well over Min wage due to the type of people we were looking for.
    That would be a little easier to do with the insane mark up on jewelry. But what happened to the people when you couldnt afford to pay them?


    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    MoFinz's Avatar
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    3,052
    vCash:
    1016
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Come on Mo. Are you really going to reduce such a complex thing such as an economy to a single variable? I expect that from the FoxNewsBots, but not from you. New Mexico is poor for lots of reasons, but the minimum wage in the wealthiest city in our state is certainly not it...
    Your words....just trying to get you to think about them. Va. makes employers pay whatever the federal minimum as far as minimum goes. But look at us....5.5% unemployment and wages that are above the national average.

    Helps being a right to work state too
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Minimum Wage...
    By TruePoizon in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
  2. Minimum wage hike could hurt some
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM
  3. Who benefits most from a minimum wage increase?
    By PhinPhan1227 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 03:50 PM
  4. Democrats vow cheaper drugs, higher minimum wage
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 12:08 AM
  5. Low Iraq Output Pushes Oil Prices Higher
    By PressCoverage in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •