Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa. Grad Student Sues, Says C-Plus Cost Her $1.3M

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Pa. Grad Student Sues, Says C-Plus Cost Her $1.3M

Talk about grade inflation.

Graduate student Megan Thode wasn't happy about the C-plus she received for one class, saying the mediocre grade kept her from getting her desired degree and becoming a licensed therapist ó and, as a result, cost her $1.3 million in lost earnings.

Now Thode is suing her professor and Lehigh University in Bethlehem, claiming monetary damages and seeking a grade change.
    A judge is hearing testimony in the case this week in Northampton County Court. Lehigh and the professor contend her lawsuit is without merit. Northampton County Judge Emil Giordana declined to dismiss the suit Wednesday, ruling that there was enough evidence for the suit to proceed, according to The (Easton) Express-Times.

Thode took the class in the fall of 2009. Her instructor, Amanda Eckhardt, testified this week that she stood by the grade, saying Thode failed to behave professionally and thus earned zero out of 25 points in class participation, bumping her down a full letter grade.
    joseph a/FlickrA building on the campus of Lehigh... View Full Size joseph a/FlickrA building on the campus of Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, October 2008.
    "I ... believed she received the grade she earned," Eckhardt said.

The C-plus prevented Thode, an otherwise A student, from going on to the next class and advancing in her professional therapist studies, the newspaper reported. She wound up getting a master's degree in human development instead.
    Her attorney, Richard Orloski, argued that Eckhardt targeted Thode because she is an outspoken advocate for gay marriage.

http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStor...t-13m-18490664
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Jesus-Christ-On-A-****ing-Pogo-Stick ... It's finally come to this.

We're now suing each other for **** that was our own fault in America.

What's next?
    "Mommy, mommy - the bad man bruised my self esteem."
    "That's ok honey, I'll get the lawyer on speed dial."
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I gotta say, I always thought grading for class participation was a crock of ****.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What I don't understand is why didn't she take the class again? She obviously settled for something she didn't want and it's now sour grapes? That's BS!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Never use a big word when a little filthy one will do.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know Bumpus, if she legitimately got graded down because of her stance on gay marriage, that seems like a legit lawsuit. If it's just an excuse she is using because she was lazy and didn't go to class, she should be counter-sued by the Professor.

Rob - I used to think the same thing until I started teaching. I can't put into words how much it sucks talking to a classroom and having it seem like no one gives a **** about what you're saying. Participation points forces students to actually come to class and listen to the material, or to actually be attentive when there. So many kids get access to college due to scholarships and grants these days, that a huge number of them don't really want to do anything until they eventually drop out. Or as is the case in the intro psychology class I teach, it's the first semester of college for a chunk of them, and they still act like immature punks because they are fresh out of high school. Grading them down for snickering at those who do participate is a good way to get them to act like grown ass men...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke
    Rob - I used to think the same thing until I started teaching. I can't put into words how much it sucks talking to a classroom and having it seem like no one gives a **** about what you're saying. Participation points forces students to actually come to class and listen to the material, or to actually be attentive when there. So many kids get access to college due to scholarships and grants these days, that a huge number of them don't really want to do anything until they eventually drop out. Or as is the case in the intro psychology class I teach, it's the first semester of college for a chunk of them, and they still act like immature punks because they are fresh out of high school. Grading them down for snickering at those who do participate is a good way to get them to act like grown ass men...
    I understand how that might be useful as a disciplinary technique, but itís not really your job to make sure weíre paying attention and coming to class. Mandatory class participation is biased towards extroverted students & an annoyance to some of the introverted students. Iíve had teachers who couldnít possibly fathom that Iíd rather work by myself than with the 3 dodo-birds who sit next to me. The best teachers Iíve ever had have given straight-forward, up-and-down lectures, without a care in the world if anyoneís listening, or attending. There were no group assignments, there was no interactive portion of the class, & I like to believe itís because they recognize Iím paying to hear you talk, and not Tiffany in row 3. Any time Iíve been forced to Ďparticipateí (as if simply paying attention & learning isnít enough), all Iím basically doing at that point is appeasing the teacher; Iím not actually gaining anything. In other words it's hoop-jumping for me.

Last edited by rob19; 02-14-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I understand how that might be useful as a disciplinary technique, but itís not really your job to make sure weíre paying attention and coming to class. Mandatory class participation is biased towards extroverted students & an annoyance to some of the introverted students. Iíve had teachers who couldnít possibly fathom that Iíd rather work by myself than with the 3 dodo-birds who sit next to me. The best teachers Iíve ever had have given straight-forward, up-and-down lectures, without a care in the world if anyoneís listening, or attending. There were no group assignments, there was no interactive portion of the class, & I like to believe itís because they recognize Iím paying to hear you talk, and not Tiffany in row 3. Any time Iíve been forced to Ďparticipateí (as if simply paying attention & learning isnít enough), all Iím basically doing at that point is appeasing the teacher; Iím not actually gaining anything. In other words it's hoop-jumping for me.

The wierd thing is, I'm actually pretty extroverted in class while I'm very introverted the rest of the time.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post

My participation points are based on not sleeping, not goofing around/texting/etc, and attending class. It's not about raising your hands, blah blah. I, and most other teachers I speak with, understand different people learn in different ways. It's not fair to force learning styles on people. Personally, I retain most of what I need from listening and taking notes. The other 20% or so I remember after some light studying. I also almost never need stuff broken down, expanded on, etc for me to understand it, so I usually don't have questions. So I'd lose points in a class where the professor needs you to ask questions. And I agree on the group work, I work better when I don't have to rely on anyone else. I think you're thinking of a specific kind of participation points. Most teachers just use it to make sure people come to class...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    My participation points are based on not sleeping, not goofing around/texting/etc, and attending class. It's not about raising your hands, blah blah. I, and most other teachers I speak with, understand different people learn in different ways. It's not fair to force learning styles on people. Personally, I retain most of what I need from listening and taking notes. The other 20% or so I remember after some light studying. I also almost never need stuff broken down, expanded on, etc for me to understand it, so I usually don't have questions. So I'd lose points in a class where the professor needs you to ask questions. And I agree on the group work, I work better when I don't have to rely on anyone else. I think you're thinking of a specific kind of participation points. Most teachers just use it to make sure people come to class...
    Honestly I dont even like teachers giving points for attendance. If your class is such a crock of **** that I can skip half the classes and get an A or B, give me what I earned. I had classes early on where I got A's skipping as much as I went, and Ive had other classes where teachers forced attendance so Id go there and listen to someone babble on about some basic bull**** that everyone with a pulse should know without being told. It gets better junior and senior year, but the school work freshman and sophomore year is excruciatingly pointless.

Really, college in general is a hoop jumping exercise for at least the first 2 or 3 years. Ive never enjoyed paying people to prove to someone that I know things. Cant wait to be done with this ****.

Quote Quote