Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kiper: Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson could be Dolphins' first-round pick

1. -51
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When looking at a 1 year post-Juco player you need. To evaluate how he adjusts to the level of competition and how well he takes direction, how hard he works and how quickly he improves. Those are the indicators for how or if he can continue to improve to a high NFL level. Patterson has all of the physical talents, and he showed strong consistent improvement and effort over the course of his time at Tennessee.

To me, all of the adjustment/development indicators are pointing up and he is trending very well. From my point over view he looks like a guy starting to scratch the surface of his immense talents and likely to become an elite NFL receiver. I would love to draft him and have him grow into Tannehill's Julio Jones, because I think he has a similar talent level. For me, it's about the long term, not next year. Greg Jennings is the answer for next year and for tutoring young WR's so the fully develop quickly. But Patterson has physical ability to be another Irving Fryar and the work ethic to get the most out of his talent. I'm a fan.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph N.Fan View Post
    This kid is raw as hell with mediocre hands. What good is potentially being a speed burning playmaker if he can't catch? Not digging Patterson @ #12. I hope Miliner is there at 12 so Miami can take him instead and get a WR later in the draft.
    you call dropping 2 passes all season long mediocre hands?
    Deputy Shaw
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    When looking at a 1 year post-Juco player you need. To evaluate how he adjusts to the level of competition and how well he takes direction, how hard he works and how quickly he improves. Those are the indicators for how or if he can continue to improve to a high NFL level. Patterson has all of the physical talents, and he showed strong consistent improvement and effort over the course of his time at Tennessee.

To me, all of the adjustment/development indicators are pointing up and he is trending very well. From my point over view he looks like a guy starting to scratch the surface of his immense talents and likely to become an elite NFL receiver. I would love to draft him and have him grow into Tannehill's Julio Jones, because I think he has a similar talent level. For me, it's about the long term, not next year. Greg Jennings is the answer for next year and for tutoring young WR's so the fully develop quickly. But Patterson has physical ability to be another Irving Fryar and the work ethic to get the most out of his talent. I'm a fan.
    Wouldn't you rather that than a rookie who for all we know can be a bust? And I don't see how Jennings is the answer for next year, he's only 29.
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not a fan of Patterson as he didn't perform well against the top-notch SEC which has NFL caliber players.

Against UF- 8 catches for 75 yards and 1 TD
    Mind you he was going against a sophomore CB who incidentally was arrested last week for pot. It's also a perfect example of those who say he doesn't catch with his body LOL as all of his catches were with his body even the TD.

Georgia- 2 catches for 31 yards
    That run against Georgia was top-notch and one of the best plays I'd seen in college football last year. Didn't do too much against Sanders Commings and a NFL-caliber secondary of Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams.

Mississippi State- 2 catches for 25 yards and 1 TD
    Mostly against Darius Slay. Caught 1 pass against Banks and the other against Slay on a fade for the TD. Return on special teams. Non-factor throughout.

Alabama- 1 catch for 25 yards
    Not much to say here...good catch over Robert Lester. Long special teams returns

South Carolina-3 catches for 26 yards
    Not too much here either.

For an average of 36.4 yards, 3.2 catches, and 1 TD in those games. Justin Hunter had 64.6 yards and 4.4 catches in that same span.

The Julio Jones comparisons are weak as Julio was ripping up the SEC while being double-covered. Julio also catches with his hands a lot more and is more explosive than Patterson. We can argue about potential until this earth ends but the fact is that he was a non-factor against teams who have NFL type players. Besides, this is not an "Ireland move". He'll either go for Banks or someone we wouldn't expect.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As a manager you need to make moves with the future in mind. In the same way we have Odrick there should Starks bolt. Should we re-sign Starks he can rotate with him and Solia and then replace Solia when he bolts for his big pay day. Should Odrick bust, you pay Solia.

Same thing is the way the WR corps should be handled. This will be the last year on Bess's contract, so we should draft a speedy "slot guy" like Tavon Austin or Marquis Goodwin to be his eventual replacement next year.

Rishard Matthews, Ireland already has singled out along with Lamar Miller as the two young guys he expects to be a big part of the rotations going forward. So he will be that future "possession" receiver under Jennings and Hartline. But, just as we have that #1 explosive pass rusher in Cameron Wake, we need to draft that eventual future #1 speedy receiver that will be the "Man" and Tannehill's go to guy for years going forward. This is why I think if Cordarelle Patterson is there at #12, we must grab him. If he's gone already, then go with Johnthan Banks. imo.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinsfan93 View Post
    Wouldn't you rather that than a rookie who for all we know can be a bust? And I don't see how Jennings is the answer for next year, he's only 29.
    No. I prefer a long term building block for Tannehill if I had to choose between the two. But the preferable solution in my eyes would be to get the consummate products technician to train the young phenom the right way. That let's Jennings star for a few years and be a complementary receiver for a few more while Patterson develops into a dominant receiver. It gives Tannehill multiple weapons for several years and puts us on the path to becoming the Green Bay offense South.

I didn't mean to imply that Jennings was only a one year solution, because I believe he has 4+ more good years left. But now is also the time to find a long term feature receiver for Tannehill. Late round selections like BJ Cunningham are unlikely to find that solution.
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I like him, but not enough to take him at #12, especially with the draft being as deep as it is with WRs. I'd draft WR in the 2nd and 3rd, look to go elsewhere in the first.
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinsfan93 View Post
    Against UF- 8 catches for 75 yards and 1 TD
    Mind you he was going against a sophomore CB who incidentally was arrested last week for pot. It's also a perfect example of those who say he doesn't catch with his body LOL as all of his catches were with his body even the TD.
    What does getting arrested for pot possession have to do with how well Loucheiz Purifoy plays corner? I think you're bringing up something irrelevant to make him look bad but the fact of the matter is Purifoy was widely regarded as a very good sophomore corner that could/should one day be a 1st round pick. He still could be, marijuana arrest or no.

Georgia- 2 catches for 31 yards
    That run against Georgia was top-notch and one of the best plays I'd seen in college football last year. Didn't do too much against Sanders Commings and a NFL-caliber secondary of Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams.
    He caught footballs on Sanders Commings and Branden Smith, both of whom are draftable players. Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams are irrelevant. He's a perimeter wide receiver, he never faced them. He actually forced Georgia to change the way it tried to defend him. In the 1st quarter he was torching Branden Smith (who runs a 4.43 and caught an interception in the Shrine Game, btw) and it did not escape the coaching staff's notice. Smith had been playing an aggressive coverage technique against him. Georgia switched their most dependable corner Sanders Commings onto Patterson, and on the few occasions when Smith found himself matched on him again, he was playing off (conservative).

Mississippi State- 2 catches for 25 yards and 1 TD
    Mostly against Darius Slay. Caught 1 pass against Banks and the other against Slay on a fade for the TD. Return on special teams. Non-factor throughout.
    I found the time he spent being covered by Banks and Slay to be split evenly. Banks won the matchup. Slay (whom some believe will be a better corner in the NFL than Banks) lost his matchup. The touchdown was straight one on one, physical press coverage near the end zone, and Patterson beat Slay. Impressive play.

For an average of 36.4 yards, 3.2 catches, and 1 TD in those games. Justin Hunter had 64.6 yards and 4.4 catches in that same span.
    First off, I notice you left the North Carolina State game off of this. David Amerson was a highly regarded corner, actually I think he was top 10 on Kiper's big board prior to the season, and Cordarrelle Patterson tore him apart. We can argue about how good Amerson is or not but if you're going to cite games against the likes of Jimmy Legree and Sanders Commings then I think Amerson definitely counts. And for that matter, it's a little conspicuous to leave Vanderbilt off your list too. They had the #15 scoring defense in the nation and the #13 ranked pass defense. The pass defense is led by a nice NFL corner prospect in Andre Hal. Leaving the matchups with David Amerson and Andre Hal off the list makes it look like instead of picking out the games where Patterson faced good competition, you're just picking games where you think he didn't perform well.

Second, I don't know why you're not counting the runs or returns. He had 199 rushing yards and 2 more rushing TDs in those games. In total the man had 527 offensive yards and 7 total TDs in those 7 games. That's pretty damn good, especially the TDs...found a way to score 1 per game. In fact the only one of those opponents that kept him out of the end zone was Alabama, the national champion.

Third, I think you have to take account of the fact that Cordarrelle Patterson was in his 1st year at Tennessee. Tyler Bray and Justin Hunter had already been working together for years, and Hunter was considered one of the best receivers in the country heading into the season. Not surprisingly, Bray threw the ball at Justin Hunter 72 times in the 7 games in question, versus 48 attempts toward Patterson. But he didn't have any more success throwing to Hunter than he did Patterson. In fact, less. Patterson's yardage per attempt was almost a full yard higher than Hunter's, and Patterson CAUGHT 3 touchdowns in those 7 games. Justin Hunter caught none.

I'm not trying to parse details or argue semantics here. I think what you've done here is actually take something that is widely considered (by NFL personnel people) to be a STRENGTH for Cordarrelle Patterson, his performance against top notch teams, and turn it into a weakness. I don't see that. He went out there against tough SEC defenses and other corners such as Loucheiz Purifoy, Jaylen Watkins, Branden Smith, Sanders Commings, David Amerson, Johnthan Banks, Darius Slay, Jimmy Legree, Andre Hal and E.J. Gaines, and he caught footballs, made plays and scored touchdowns.

Whether it translates, remains to be seen.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For the guy talking about Patterson being covered by SEC corners, I have breakdowns of that since I've been working on CBs. These are whom the top CBs on each team covered by #snaps:

Miss St - Banks:
    Patterson - 9 Snaps
    Hunter - 5 Snaps
    #8 - 2 Snaps
    #80 - 1Snap
    Team (no WR on his side) - 3
    Total: 18 (only snaps Banks was in the game)

Alabama - Milliner:
    Patterson - 9 Snaps
    Hunter - 14 Snaps
    Rivera - 1 Snap
    Total: 24 Snaps

That works out to 18 for Patterson and 19 for Hunter by the two top CBs in this draft. The more you know.

EDIT: Can't add apparently, also these won't work out to the QBs total attempts because I got rid of batted passes/ throwaways.
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post

You bring up very good points digital. you conclude he is the guy. i dont. not yet anyways. its early. there are things that need to be looked at such as those things you mention. hard worker? i have no clue.

dedication? i have no clue. production? lacking in every sense of the word as an every down wr in the nfl. he wont be running end arounds and reverses in this offene and even if he did, nfl teams will be looking for it and defend it. its different in college when students have other responibilities aside from football. You get away with more incollege play scheme wise.

i'm sorry, but people have crowned this guy based on his openfield moves, not anything else. it reeks of ted ginn to me bigtime. we do not absolutely need to draft this guy no matter what. this is not being open minded at all with the rest of the field.

I say Cordarelle will be a guy who would not see the field until midseason with the players talked about us getting .
    Quote Quote