Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I think we should franchise Jake Long

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think it is about if he can return to form or at the highest level. I think it is more about looking at how the money is divided by position. In short, trying a different mix in the spending. Most people call this paying playmakers that can score points (lately). I'm for a change in mix. At the same time, many teams are still paying big bucks at LT, so I will leave it to the powers-that-be to decide. I'm for either, but will be alright with trying a change so we can spend elsewhere.
    It's time to be successful Coach Philbin. Have you decided what you should master yet? It's time to step up Mr. Tannehill, you're starting year three too.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think Ireland can afford to franchise Long. This is his year to put together a playoff side and he can't spend 15m of the salary cap to see if Long is ready to play.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was watching NFl live on ESPN a few nights ago and they addressed the O-lineman in hitting the market, Ryan Clady was without a doubt the hottest name as far as O-line went for Tackles and Levitre was the hot name for guards. Jake Long got a little love, but nearly enough to warrant one to think he's going to break anybodies bank. Let's the type of deal Clady gets then that should somewhat gauge the worth of Long.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Damn SugarBowl

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The idea of tendering him and getting a 1st round pick sounds amazing. that would give us the ammo to move up for a Top LT in this draft ala Jakes cheaper replacement. the guys at the top of this draft blow martin out of the water. we'd still have a ton of picks to get receivers corners and tight end. next year we can work on replacing dansby and burnett and freeing up more money.Once we get into a cycle of replacing players every 5-7 years through the draft well constantly have a lot more cap.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by footsteps_falco View Post
    The idea of tendering him and getting a 1st round pick sounds amazing. that would give us the ammo to move up for a Top LT in this draft ala Jakes cheaper replacement. the guys at the top of this draft blow martin out of the water. we'd still have a ton of picks to get receivers corners and tight end. next year we can work on replacing dansby and burnett and freeing up more money.Once we get into a cycle of replacing players every 5-7 years through the draft well constantly have a lot more cap.
    There was a thread on here a month or so back that said even tendering him would cost us a pretty hefty price (can't remember if it was 15mill or not)... Or else that would be the most logical solution to the Jake Long delimma
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Canadian Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peakz View Post
    I don't think Ireland can afford to franchise Long. This is his year to put together a playoff side and he can't spend 15m of the salary cap to see if Long is ready to play.
    That's just it. And it's all about the opportunity cost of tagging Long, if you assume that the $15 million could otherwise be spent on high-end talent elsewhere. If you knew in advance there was nothing worth spending the money on, then I think you tag Long but with the amount of talent out there, you cannot justify tying up that kind of money in a depreciating asset who may not even be much more than a little above average at Tackle.
    Andyman
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    sadly, it's time to move away from jake long unless for some insane reason he decides he's happy with about $8mil a year. he's one of my favorite players on the team, but there is no way we can pay the guy $10 or $15 million dollars a year.

that kind of money can lock up 2-3 other players... it's just bad business.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    franchise Jake Long lol its valantines day not april you fool day
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boynton Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Or front load that money to a player say Smith from the bengals and give him a 3 year 30 million contract.. Paying 10 of it upfront. Splitting the other 20 over 3 years. Getting a "discount" in the future. 15 mil for one year is wayyyy to much
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It would be nice to tender jake long and get a 1st rounder for him. It would also be nice to be a Jedi knight. Also, lets build a time machine, goto the future with Dan Marino's DNA, create his clone, arm him with bionic knees and 4.2 speed (bc that technology is only available in the future). Also, with our Jedi mind tricks, we could convince Huizenga to hire Bill Bellichick post-Cleveland Browns, set the dial back to 2000 and dominate the league for 25 years, creating a dynasty that we'd currently be in the midst of. LETS DO IT
    Quote Quote