Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I think we should franchise Jake Long

1. -21
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really want the team to keep Long. Right now, in the early stages of free agency he is said to be seeking $10 million a year. I think he could end up getting closer to $8 million. If that's the case, why not sign him to a three year deal with maybe a club option for an additional year?
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    This is getting confusing. If I open a Jake Long thread, I read about how much Martin sucks; but if I open a Ireland draft thread, I read about how Martin was a steal and should have been drafted at 18 or whatever.

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Are we certain long is a restricted free agent? I felt sure, I read somewhere that he was unrestricted.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispepper View Post
    Are we certain long is a restricted free agent? I felt sure, I read somewhere that he was unrestricted.
    He's unrestricted. Restricted agents are those that have only 3 years or less season accrued in the NFL. Jake Long was drafted in 2008 so he has 5 years in the league already making him unrestricted.

The issue with tagging Jake Long is that his agent will say he's making $15 million so the negotiations for his client will START at $15 million per season on a long term contract....that's from the words of Drew Rosenhaus, who does not represent Jake Long but said that's how he approaches a team when one of his clients get tagged.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The way I see it, if Jake Long is so risky that we can not afford to tie up with him long term, then he simply isn't worth an investment of $15 million in our most opportune off season in terms of long term growth. Yea, we can keep hoping he recovers from his injuries after 3 straight years....but for $15 million let another team do the hoping. If he won't settle, let's move on.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if they let him go they better find talent to replace him on a functioning NFL level. Martin and john jerry are not NFL starters at this point so if you let long walk and dont sign or draft a legit starter you're just creating another hole.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Steamboat Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-on-ryan-clady

This article on nfl.com states that the franchise tag for a LT in 2013 season would be 9.66 million. Wouldn't that be a no brainer for Long's situation if those numbers are correct?

I stand corrected, it is "120 percent his 2012 cap number of $12.8 million."

So it is decided by each players previous years cap numbers. I thought it was a league wide average of the top 5 of the same position.

Reshad "GET IT ON" Jones
    gettin it on!
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    THE FUTURE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by AJFins87 View Post
    If we could get one of those 1st round picks I am all in. That would mean trade back from 12 to like 18ish, and have 3 1st round picks. Patterson, Eifert, and Rhodes or Lane Johnson. Then we still have 2 second round picks to address other needs. Just saying dreaming is fun. lol.
    How would this give us 3 first rounders this year. And I can definitely see Patterson making a top 10 push at the combine
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    THE FUTURE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I really want the team to keep Long. Right now, in the early stages of free agency he is said to be seeking $10 million a year. I think he could end up getting closer to $8 million. If that's the case, why not sign him to a three year deal with maybe a club option for an additional year?
    Because he's not even worth 8 million per year. He gave up 7 sacks in 12 games last year and a ton more hurries. You wanna ay him $8M?
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the ONLY way i'd be mildly interested in using the franchise tag on Long is if we already had a deal to trade him .... being the #1 rated T on the market -- i do not see Jake signing for 8-10 MIL

if we were to sign a FA T, i would as another poster said -- sign Andre Smith from the Bengals .... we should be able to get him for <8 MIL ... and he is only 26 - so has a lot left ...

Yeatman is a bonus to me ...
    Quote Quote