Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years in a Basement for $10M, What are you Bringing?

1. -21
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Whatever you pick to go from 30 points to 35 point costs you $500,000 a year, or about $1,400 a day. It's insanity to pay that for drugs or booze. If somebody just gave you $10 million you wouldn't spend half of it in 10 years on drugs, therefore you it's a fallacy to be willing to trade it under this kind of scenario.

If I had two points to spend instead of one I'd have picked the skylight for sure. Rob has a point about that. Not cracking up mentally has it's rewards.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    These are different circumstances though. In everyday life you're not trapped in a basement. It's not that the drugs are actually monetarily worth that, but under the circumstances it's more than worth it (to me, at least). 10 years trapped in a basement being stone-cold sober? No thanks. I'll take my 5 million & buy a modest house in the woods of California & still have nearly 4 & a half million to live off.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Psychological studies have shown over and over that people place a much higher value on things they lose rather than things they acquire. If you find $20 in the street that should be worth the same as $20 you lost or had stolen from you, but that's not how our brains work. We place a higher negative value on the lost money than a positive value on found money.

That phenomenon is why nearly everyone in this thread is willing to take the $5 million, I think. They're not looking at drugs or booze or whatever as money they're spending, when that's absolutely the case.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'd still do it, 10 entire years with a better quality of life is what I'm buying. The difference between having 10 million dollars or 5 million dollars is not so important to me that I'd sacrifice life-quality in 10 prime years of my brief existence.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Chick, TV, hygiene products(cant imagine not brushing my teeth for 10 years) and microwave food

would miss beer though
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I'd still do it, 10 entire years with a better quality of life is what I'm buying. The difference between having 10 million dollars or 5 million dollars is not so important to me that I'd sacrifice life-quality in 10 prime years of my brief existence.

I think you are assuming that your dependence of substances would remain constant through the ten years. After a year, your dependence might subside to a level were you feel your quality of life is actually better drug or alcohol free. That's usually the case in the long run when users quit whatever substance they are on
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ok. One last example, though. Let's say a rich relative dies and leave you $10 million. Simultaneous to that, the entire world's supply of drugs vanishes, never to return... except for one source, which will give you anything you want on a 10 year subscription basis costing $41,000 a month. You signing up?
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    Chick, TV, hygiene products(cant imagine not brushing my teeth for 10 years) and microwave food

would miss beer though
    Huh. I didn't think about a toothbrush being a hygiene product rather than a standard issue bathroom thing. I'm changing mine too.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Ok. One last example, though. Let's say a rich relative dies and leave you $10 million. Simultaneous to that, the entire world's supply of drugs vanishes, never to return... except for one source, which will give you anything you want on a 10 year subscription basis costing $41,000 a month. You signing up?
    No, because I'm not trapped in a basement.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryBagpipe
    I think you are assuming that your dependence of substances would remain constant through the ten years. After a year, your dependence might subside to a level were you feel your quality of life is actually better drug or alcohol free. That's usually the case in the long run when users quit whatever substance they are on

I'm not dependent on anything. The only drug I do with regularity is cannabis, which isn't physically addictive, & pretty harmless. If I'm trapped in a basement for 10 years though, I want to smoke some weed, & if their giving me more options with that choice as well, that's just a bonus.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post

would miss beer though
    No, because I'm not trapped in a basement.

I'm not dependent on anything. The only drug I do with regularity is cannabis, which isn't physically addictive, & pretty harmless. If I'm trapped in a basement for 10 years though, I want to smoke some weed, & if their giving me more options with that choice as well, that's just a bonus.[/COLOR]
    I'm not commenting on how physically harmful or harmless cannabis is. I think it's pretty harmless physically but while it may not be physically addictive, it can create a psychological dependence. My point is that after a year of being drug free, your stance and perspective on it providing a certain quality of life could radically change. When was the last time you went a year without it?
    Quote Quote