Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Should Ireland look into Freeney as a free agent signing?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 61.25%
  • No

31 38.75%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MERGED: Dwight Freeney Please!!

1. -41
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Call me crazy but I would rather spend a couple 7th's on DE's Caleb Schreibeis and Mike Catapano, and sign Desmond Bryant and keep Odrick playing mostly end. Give Vernon and Shelby another shot at earning some snaps.

I would also sign Antwaan Barnes and draft Travis Long to be pass rushing LB's. Then bring on a monster hybrid defense.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    For th e right price Freeney makes alot of sense.It gives us a short term ans. opp. Wake,it allows us to address other needs at 12,buys time to see if Vernon, or Shelby are any good! Depending on who we lose in free agency this year we could end up with multiple supp. picks.If you package them up along with our first next year you have shot at J.Clowney from South Caralina instead of going after 3rd and 4th rd guys this year Hunt,Gholston,Simon,Goodman.Solidify the secondary this year Freeney makes a ton of sense
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daphne, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another poster already pointed out the decline in Freeny's performance even before last year's change in defense from 4-3. If he comes cheap (I doubt it) he's worth a look. I don't want us picking up a big name and "check" the box that we're done. We need a real pass rusher to go with Wake and at best he is a short term answer and at worst a time-wasting illusion.

He was a great player but I'd pass.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lol at people thinking Freeney would take a minimum contract, he's a future hall of famer who can still play at a high level who's also not that old. At 32, he's only a year older than Wake and look at how much he makes, now I don't think it'll take a huge DEAL to entice Freeney to come to Miami but we must be fair and offering Freeney the vet minimum is just an insult. We're not the Miami Heat guys, we can't make people take less money than they're worth.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Just Win, Baby

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17Dolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    BY ELITE LEVEL DO YOU MEAN THE 12 TACKLES HE HAD LAST SEASON OR WAS IT HIS 5 SACKS?

Freeney...14 games....5 sacks...12 tackles
    Hughes 16 games...4 sacks...41 tackles
    Mathis 12 games....8 sacks...33 tackles

Freeney was the third best de on his own team last season

Yet everyone is falling in love with what Freeney USE TO BE NOT WHAT HE'S BECOME

and at 38 in October he's just over the hill
    Where'd you get 38 from? He is 2 days away from 33.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinCurry View Post
    Freeney is not the ideal fit. He's actually almost a clone of Wake, the ideal fit would be a bigger, stronger, can set the edge, can also pancake offensive lineman against the run type guy who is also fast and tall and can rush the passer with speed as well as strength when if needed, e.g. Aldon Smith in San Fran type. Frreney is fast and smallish almost a pure speed and movement pass rusher. He would be a good low risk pick up however.
    imo i think freeney would be the ideal fit opp side of wake and would be nightmares for an offence ,Freeney isnt the most power house guy at his poss , but with the quickness and the power he dose have would make it very hard for teams to play miami , so i say sign him up at the right price.

Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say yes, but has to be at the right price, a player with two to three years left we can't overspend for.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Agree. He is a luxury if we were 1-2 players away. I also don't want another 30+ end which in 1-2 years will require us to replace both. I am for drafting a DE with a 2nd or 3rd, or getting a veteran minimum player in FA.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Pro Bowl Kicker

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the few positions where the 2013 draft looks stocked is defensive end. With Miami having so many picks and Wake already 30 years old, the smart move would be to find Wake's eventual replacement to play opposite him.

I'm a big Freeney fan (and Colts fan, yes even though I love Miami), but the only way i'd sign him is if it was cheap with incentives, and I don't see Freeney agreeing to that, let alone for a team not likely to go far into the playoffs. And as another poster noted, Freeney's specialty, which is rushing the quarterback with a lead in likely passing situations, may not be taken advantage of very often in Miami. I don't question his speed or skills. It's simply a matter of is it worth what we are paying for them?

I'd much rather see us make our big money splash on offensive free agents **cough**cough** wide receivers. Give Tanny some targets. Re-sign Starks and retain our stout defensive line. Fill in other holes (secondary, pass rusher, etc) in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    People must think we have unlimited money. spend a fortune on a DE sure, but forget a WR/CB etc
    Draft our Wr's! Forget the free agent guys imho, they are overpriced band aids. Like paying 100,000 for a Honda Civic. Decent car but I'm still paying 100,000 for it.
    Patterson/Hunter are the guys to truly build our wr corps into something special.

I rather use that Jennings/Wallace money on someone like Freeney. Draft/build our wr's. It's important to help Tannehill in his development imho.
    Even if we have to sign a stop gap pass rusher like Freeney this year, I much much rather do this.
    I don't want to shortchange on our wr's anymore. I can't take another year of that ****.
    Quote Quote