Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just had a thought about Thigpen while watching a game from earlier this season

1. -11
    #onephin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin
    I think Marcus Thigpen can be effective on end arounds and in the screen game out in space. Not sure if he'll get much of a chance to contribute in the running game enough to play a meaningful role for us. But I do think he can be dangerous if he can get to the edge and use his speed in the open field.

If it's one thing I hope the coaching staff does better this year though opposed to last is put players in a better position to succeed. Play to their strengths and exploit the opposition by creating mismatches. You saw it towards the end of last season and maybe part of the problem was the coaches had to learn the personnel and get accustomed to what they do well and what their weaknesses were. But year 2, with hopefully an upgraded roster, they really shouldn't have those same issues. If Reggie returns he should be used as the weapon he is similar to how the Saints utilized him. Tannehill should be rolled out of the pocket at a higher rate and the read option should be incorporated a small % more to take advantage of his running abilities. Defensively speaking, create pressure by blitzing the secondary. In that Jets blowout you saw this and it worked well but at times during the season we went away from it. Our corners and safeties may not be the best in coverage but I think they do a pretty decent job rushing the QB and getting the ball out in a hurry when the DL simply can't get there. It appeared to me that we became somewhat predictable on both sides of the ball and frankly we looked very stale and painfully slow. Was it due to being too conservative? Idk! But I do know we need to mix it up and get the most out of the talent we do have by being aggressive and setting the tempo early and often. Again that Jets game showed us it can be done and that we can look like world beaters but frankly it was one of the few times we made a point to set the tone in such a demoralizing way and guess what, it worked for us.

I know I kinda went off subject there but the main point is we should allow our guys to play fast. Do this more consistently and we'll win fast!
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollister, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thigpen does have explosiveness. The question I have about him is whether or not he can run between the tackles. He would probably be used as a reserve running back during the preseason if Bush leaves via free agency. From there we will be able to tell how he handles his new role as a secondary back who comes in to relieve Thomas or Miller.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, I forget which game but Thigpen carried the ball and got like an 8 yard carry if that counts. lol. I'm for re-signing Bush, sorry.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thigpen is probably never gonna be more than he is , and thats a good special teams player.
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think all he needs is a real opportunity. He's definitely shown flashes of playmaking ability. I don't see why he couldn't be a poor man's Darren Sproles in our offense. Kind of that jack of all trades guy that makes explosive plays in different phases of the game. Not every RB needs to be able to run it 15 times between the tackles to be effective. It comes down to coaching IMO, either you know how to use a guy's strengths or you don't. The Niners had Frank Gore but yet they still found ways to use LaMichael James towards the end of the season, and he certainly gave them a little boost. Is someone like Danny Woodhead a vastly superior talent to Thigpen? I have a hard time believing that. Difference is, Belichick maximizes players' strengths and gets the most out of every guy. I just fail to see why Thigpen couldn't be that kind of guy for us.
    Quote Quote