Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sentinel: Fins spending nearly 2X on Defense

1. -11
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia411 View Post
    I don't see Dansby as being that great. We're always getting smoked by tight ends over the middle and runningbacks out of the backfield, largely thanks to Dansby's lack of coverage skills.
    He's a good linebacker, but he's certainly replaceable, and I'd much rather allocate big $$ to pass rushers/ coverage guys on defense anyway.
    Er Dansby is immense he is the central block of our good defense, he could start for any team in the NFL but lets leave that aside, despite the fact we have plenty of cash and draft picks why do you want to remove a central piece of our d to try and improve it? Our starting LB group can compete with anyones, why break that up? Why give us another big draft priority? Sure cut Dansby but then we have to draft a linebacker instead of a corner or WR, you really think that's a good idea?

You don't improve a team by removing your best players, you build around them. If you want a SuperBowl winning defense add corners around Smith, get more linebacker depth, sign extra pass rushers. Add to what we have, don't remove core pieces and replace them.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia411 View Post
    I would trade Dansby and draft a replacement. 8.5 mil for him? That's inexcusable.
    His 2013 salary is actually closer to $6 million, but his cap number gets bumped over $8 million because of workout bonuses and his signing bonus which is spread out over the length of the contract. Dansby might not be "elite" or a Pro Bowl linebacker, but he is still a very good player. Cutting or trading Dansby this offseason would create over $4.5 million in dead space and would only free up around $3.9 million in cap space. Not worth trying to replace him.

Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IT's amazaing what Madden has done to the outlook of fans. Fans are more concerned with how much guys make then if they're any good. As a fan I want the best 22 guys we can possibly have starting and don;t give a rats ass about much much they make. Pretty soon they'll be threads about how we can win if we're at the cap floor.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Next year we have to worry about Dansby's contract. $8 million is ok for this year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Er Dansby is immense he is the central block of our good defense, he could start for any team in the NFL but lets leave that aside, despite the fact we have plenty of cash and draft picks why do you want to remove a central piece of our d to try and improve it? Our starting LB group can compete with anyones, why break that up? Why give us another big draft priority? Sure cut Dansby but then we have to draft a linebacker instead of a corner or WR, you really think that's a good idea?

You don't improve a team by removing your best players, you build around them. If you want a SuperBowl winning defense add corners around Smith, get more linebacker depth, sign extra pass rushers. Add to what we have, don't remove core pieces and replace them.
    If cutting Dansby would allow us to make a big push at an Avril or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie then I would do it. Like I said I'd much rather allocate that kind of money (8-10 mil a year) to a big time pass rusher or corner. But, if it's like Nublar says and Dansby's contract wouldn't allow us much cap space this year by cutting him anyway then it's not worth it. If a team would part with a pick for him then that's different but.that's probably not happening.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanISS View Post
    IT's amazaing what Madden has done to the outlook of fans. Fans are more concerned with how much guys make then if they're any good. As a fan I want the best 22 guys we can possibly have starting and don;t give a rats ass about much much they make. Pretty soon they'll be threads about how we can win if we're at the cap floor.
    You do realize that if we give to many bad players great contracts, we wont be able to afford good players, right?
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by DolfanISS View Post
    Good call, people put far too much emphasis on salary numbers ie. Dansby, Smith, Hartine, total wage isnt all people think. For example I believe Dansby still has around 6 million in guaranteed money, so cut him if you like but you will be paying him either way. its just a madden/fantasy football thing

It's the same with Smith and Hartline, if we give them 5 years, $6/7 million what are the chances they even finish that contract? It is always the guaranteed figure that matters not the total number.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What a stupid article. The defense commands more of the budget than the offense because they're mostly vets we signed. The offense is mostly recent draftees. If anything that would suggest we draft MORE defensive players and fewer offense. The whole article is based on completely skewed logic. Omar Kelly plumbing new depths of sports journalism.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dansby is not an issue for this year. Sean Smith and Richard Marshall will be replaced. We can draft one corner and a saftey to lower the defensive cap space and improve our secondary at the same time.

How about Jonathan Banks and ELAM with your first two picks. Now you have a secondary that will create turnovers. Take WR or TE with third pick. Sign a WR or TE in FA.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This data is skewed in that it does not include LY salaries for offensive free agents.
    Quote Quote