Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance Warmack at 12?

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It wouldn't be a bad pick, it just wouldnt be too sexy of a pick. But I mean Warmack like Pouncey will be a surefire probowler, so we'd know what we would be getting.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we resign long, its possible but doubtful.

If we dont resign long, then impossible.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    good player but terrible fit for the system. If you want a guard, first one to look at his Jon Cooper
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Warmack already plays in a zone scheme at Alabama and will be a fit for one at the next level. There appears to be a shortage of accurate evaluation on Chance Warmack.

One of the biggest misconceptions regarding zone to begin with is that the entire O-line zone blocks on every play, which isn't the case at all. You only ZONE from the "BUBBLE" to the next man out towards the callside. APPLY the "Uncovered/'covered" rule: If you are uncovered - zone with teammate towards call. If you are covered - zone with teammate away from the call. If you are BOTH covered - MAN block.

If there's no bubble, nobody zone blocks. The 'drive' block on IZ and reach block on OZ. All of this is made evident on all running plays in Alabama's offense going back prior to Joe Pendry's retirement, and continued on under Saban under other offensive line coaches.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Warmack already plays in a zone scheme at Alabama and will be a fit for one at the next level. There appears to be a shortage of accurate evaluation on Chance Warmack.

One of the biggest misconceptions regarding zone to begin with is that the entire O-line zone blocks on every play, which isn't the case at all. You only ZONE from the "BUBBLE" to the next man out towards the callside. APPLY the "Uncovered/'covered" rule: If you are uncovered - zone with teammate towards call. If you are covered - zone with teammate away from the call. If you are BOTH covered - MAN block.

If there's no bubble, nobody zone blocks. The 'drive' block on IZ and reach block on OZ. All of this is made evident on all running plays in Alabama's offense going back prior to Joe Pendry's retirement, and continued on under Saban under other offensive line coaches.
    I agree that Warmack could play in a zone scheme in the NFL and currently plays in one at Bama. My point was, if we go back to a power running game ala Ricky/Ronnie, then Warmack is the top choice hands down....no one even comes close. The next closest guy would probably be Warford from Kentucky, but he lacks the movement skills that Warmack possesses.

But in the zone scheme you can be just as successful with smaller, more athletic guys. In this case Cooper is more than capable. Could Warmack play in the scheme? Sure. Is he a better OG than Cooper? No question. But why spend a #12 overall pick on an OG when this team has so many holes, when you can trade down and select another capable guard and get an additional pick? We needs bodies. One thing Cooper is better at than Warmack are cut blocks. He's very quick and explodes through his cut blocks. He doesn't have Warmack's anchor but does mirror just a tad better in pass blocking from the little tape i watched. Warmack uses his brute strength and reaches more at times. It's nitpicking but you have to do it when looking for weaknesses for elite guys like Warmack. Everything else Warmack is better at. He's a top 10 talent at a non-top 10 position.
    Last edited by PSU Cane; 02-18-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BC26 View Post
    Doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme. Doubt we take him if he is there.
    Have a read my friend

It explains the "zone blocking scheme" that is run in Alabama

It’s one of the blocking schemes that Alabama’s celebrated offensive line has mastered.
    It’s nothing new in football, but it’s something the Crimson Tide has turned into an art form.
    “That’s the bread and butter there,” said William Vlachos, who started three years (2009-11) at center for the Crimson Tide.
    But what is it?

It starts with determining who is covered and who is uncovered. That is, which offensive linemen are lined up nose to nose with a defensive player.
    No, it starts with the center as the maestro, identifying the middle linebacker.
    Wait. “Proper footwork,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “It starts with that.”

When it is carried out well from there, it’s something to behold. Just ask Georgia’s defense. Alabama ran inside zone running plays repeatedly in the SEC Championship Game, and 350 rushing yards later, the Crimson Tide was off and running to another BCS Championship Game.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...e_story_a.html
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    too many people on finheaven proclaiming that guys who are big don't fit a zone blockign scheme... slimm broke it down great...

there really is IMO, no better OG for a ZBS than chance warmack. it's hard to dispute that IMO...

guys are going to have to start realizing that theres a lot of talent on the OL in the first round, whereas there is probably 1-2 guys from a WR standpoint in play at 12... lane johnson, chance warmack and eric fisher are guys you will want to get acclimated with, they are certainly in play at 12 IMO... moreso than a WR IMHO...

I think a lot of people will be surprised when the 12th overall pick is more than likely not a WR.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BC26 View Post
    Doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme. Doubt we take him if he is there.
    Disagree with that. He can fit any scheme. Everytime I saw him, he just dominated people.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2413fanphins View Post
    too many people on finheaven proclaiming that guys who are big don't fit a zone blockign scheme... slimm broke it down great...

there really is IMO, no better OG for a ZBS than chance warmack. it's hard to dispute that IMO...

guys are going to have to start realizing that theres a lot of talent on the OL in the first round, whereas there is probably 1-2 guys from a WR standpoint in play at 12... lane johnson, chance warmack and eric fisher are guys you will want to get acclimated with, they are certainly in play at 12 IMO... moreso than a WR IMHO...

I think a lot of people will be surprised when the 12th overall pick is more than likely not a WR.
    I think Cooper makes a pretty strong case. Different players. Warmack is the better overall player, but Cooper is quicker. Cooper isn't small, and Warmack isn't slow, but I still believe Cooper is a better fit and has more upside - given what we're doing.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PSU Cane View Post
    I agree that Warmack could play in a zone scheme in the NFL and currently plays in one at Bama. My point was, if we go back to a power running game ala Ricky/Ronnie, then Warmack is the top choice hands down....no one even comes close. The next closest guy would probably be Warford from Kentucky, but he lacks the movement skills that Warmack possesses.

But in the zone scheme you can be just as successful with smaller, more athletic guys. In this case Cooper is more than capable. Could Warmack play in the scheme? Sure. Is he a better OG than Cooper? No question. But why spend a #12 overall pick on an OG when this team has so many holes, when you can trade down and select another capable guard and get an additional pick? We needs bodies. One thing Cooper is better at than Warmack are cut blocks. He's very quick and explodes through his cut blocks. He doesn't have Warmack's anchor but does mirror just a tad better in pass blocking from the little tape i watched. Warmack uses his brute strength and reaches more at times. It's nitpicking but you have to do it when looking for weaknesses for elite guys like Warmack. Everything else Warmack is better at. He's a top 10 talent at a non-top 10 position.
    While we have a huge need at WR, our need at guard and RT is just as big. My point is, we wouldn't be ignoring a need by drafting a guard by any means. John Jerry is no better than adequate and Incognito needs to be cut w/ his outrageous salary.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote