Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: After looking at the Tag numbers, I realize Starks should be the one tagged

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

After looking at the Tag numbers, I realize Starks should be the one tagged

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2/1...ins-use-theirs

The fact that Randy Starks is 29 it would give us more leverage to tag him due to the fact that he would then be 30 years old trying to land a deal in the FA market next season. His value will drop. So by tagging him at $8mil for one year, if he holds out big deal, you move Odrick inside and we're drafting another guy to compete with Vernon opposite Wake anyways.

We nees to see if Odrick has a future at DT too.

So Starks would be forced to negotiate with us with the tag placed on him as he'll have less leverage and accept a deal lower than he's asking for.

Once he agrees to a deal, before the draft, Odrick becomes a player we can dangle in a trade up scenario during the draft. Same with Daniel Thomas, if we re-sign Bush. I even think if we go Cordarrelle Patterson at 12 (assuming we've signed Mike Wallace), that we can even dangle Bess in any move up scenarios too during the draft as we would have options in the 3rd to replace him with players like Marquise Goodwin (assuming we've re-signed Hartline). This holds water as we've heard Ireland expects Rishard Matthews to take a bigger role on Offense and we saw he can impress.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They shouldn't tag Starks...they should just sign him back. He is one of the only players that is worth a decent contract. He has played well for this team and has played above most peoples expectations.
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we can't sign him to a good team deal, then I say it is a good idea. People don't realize how much our D's success is based on him and the rest of our D-line. He is a hell of a lot more important than Sean Smith!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Looavul
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Starks and Soliai are the heart of this defense, and the main reasons why we've been such a run stopping team recently. Can't break that up. If we have to pull the maneuver described by OP, then we do it.

Also agree that I'd like to upgrade on Bess in the slot. So many potential slot upgrades in this draft (Austin, Bailey, Swope etc). if we could pull a 4th or 2014 3rd for him, i'd do it (except to NE)
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldnt tag any player we currently have as a free agent. Starks has been a good player for us but still no need to overpay. I dont see any team overpaying for him. I wouldnt mind 3 years 20 million if we keep him but I do think odrick would do well at Dt
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How does Armando know with certainty that Sean Smith will not be tagged 'period', but has not commented on Jake Long or Randy Starks?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiketex View Post
    How does Armando know with certainty that Sean Smith will not be tagged 'period', but has not commented on Jake Long or Randy Starks?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Starks is likely the best player Miami has, so we're fortunate to even be able to tag him. Tag him up and let the bums walk. Sean Smith is a bum. Sean Smith is Jason Allen Part Duh.
    The beautiful thing about Starks is that his tag figure isn't bad, at all.
    Quote Quote