Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your view regarding Heaven

1. -1
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    703 Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo

Religion Your view regarding Heaven

Let me start by saying I'm more spiritual than religious. I don't know what to believe nor am I looking to be swayed either way. I just want to hear other opinions on what Heaven might be like. It is something we share together? Is it an individual experience? Is it bologna?

I've done some research online as a way to gain information on what other people might believe. What scares me, if Heaven exists, is what happens if one prematurely passes away. Example below:

Say I've been married 5 years and with my wife a total of 10. I die a natural death. She re-marries a few years later, has kids (we don't/do), etc.

Will all of us be in Heaven together? Since she is re-married it isn't like our marriage will "count" in Heaven seeing as she found someone else on Earth.

Any views would be great

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Your view regarding Heaven

According to Christian beliefs, there is no such thing as marriage in Heaven. "Til death do us part" is quite literal in that sense.
    FIRE FAILBIN
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I dont really believe in a heaven, but I think if there is one, we will be in a much different state of consciousness than we experience here on Earth. I tend to think that things we value and desire here would seem trivial if heaven is eternal bliss.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    703 Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Why do people believe they'll be with their relatives and loved ones in heaven?

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    According to Christian beliefs, there is no such thing as marriage in Heaven. "Til death do us part" is quite literal in that sense.
    What is Heaven though?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    There is no up without down; no black without white; no joy without suffering. No wave ever only had a crest, and no trough, or vice-versa. As it currently stands, I don't know how it's possible to experience only joy without sorrow. If all you ever experienced was "joy", it wouldn't really be joyous because there'd be nothing to compare it to; it would just be your eternal, non-fluxing state. Which, to be quite honest sounds like a bit of a bore as well.

Preacher man, don't tell me,
    Heaven is under the earth.
    I know you don't know
    What life is really worth
    It's not all that glitters is gold;
    'Alf the story has never been told:
    --
    Most people think,
    Great god will come from the skies,
    Take away everything
    And make everybody feel high.
    But if you know what life is worth,
    You will look for yours on earth:

- Bob Marley
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My church is actually in a sermon series right now about what happens when you die (last weekend's sermon was about Hell, this coming weekend is about heaven). I'll post a link to my church's website where videos of the sermons are posted. The sermon is usually around 20 to 25 minutes in length and our teaching minister is very engaging. It will be worth your time to give it a view.

http://www.southeastchristian.org/De...754&sermon=163

The first sermon is "You're dead...Now What?". The second sermon is "Is Hell for Real" and the third sermon (which is this coming weekend and should be online next Monday or Tuesday) is about Heaven. My church only touches these topics every once in a while because it isn't a "fire and brimstone" type of church. Most of the time they teach on stuff you encounter and can help in daily life.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This map is still accurate: It is all about learnt perception.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Let me start by saying I'm more spiritual than religious. I don't know what to believe nor am I looking to be swayed either way. I just want to hear other opinions on what Heaven might be like. It is something we share together? Is it an individual experience? Is it bologna?

Well I am not aware of anyone who thinks Heaven is a piece of lunch meat, but I will give you my best understanding of what scripture teaches on the matter : - )

I've done some research online as a way to gain information on what other people might believe. What scares me, if Heaven exists, is what happens if one prematurely passes away. Example below:

Say I've been married 5 years and with my wife a total of 10. I die a natural death. She re-marries a few years later, has kids (we don't/do), etc.

Will all of us be in Heaven together? Since she is re-married it isn't like our marriage will "count" in Heaven seeing as she found someone else on Earth.

Jesus is asked a very similar question to yours in the book of Mark…

“And Sadducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection. And they asked him a question, saying, 19 “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother dies and leaves a wife, but leaves no child, the man[e] must take the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 20 There were seven brothers; the first took a wife, and when he died left no offspring. 21 And the second took her, and died, leaving no offspring. And the third likewise. 22 And the seven left no offspring. Last of all the woman also died. 23 In the resurrection, when they rise again, whose wife will she be? For the seven had her as wife.”

24 Jesus said to them, “Is this not the reason you are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God? 25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. 26 And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God spoke to him, saying, ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? 27 He is not God of the dead, but of the living. You are quite wrong.” Mark 12 ESV

From Jesus we know that there is no marriage in Heaven, whether or not you will know your relatives who are there is unclear. Unfortunately, our contemporary understaninding of Heaven is tainted by a lot of medieval imagery of clouds, angel wings, and harps. The historical Christian teaching and I believe the scriptural teaching on the subject is as follows…

1. When a person dies their soul either goes to Hades (not the same place as Hell) or to Heaven, if Christ atoned for their sins and they were redeemed by the Holy Spirit (became a Christian), their soul will immediately go to Heaven will they will reign with Christ (who is currently reigning at the right hand of the Father). If they were never a believer they will go to Hades and await their judgment.
    2. Upon Christ’s second coming the unbelievers will be judged and cast into the lake of fire (Hell) for their sins. God’s elect’s bodies will be resurrected and they will be reunited with their glorified minds and bodies. They will then inhabit and live on the new Earth that God creates after destroying the old Earth.

Many contemporary churches are dispensational premillennialists (a doctrine that showed up in the 19th century), so they will insert a thousand year period in between Christ’s second coming and the New Earth, however the historical view of the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Protestant churches is what I described above.

I hope that helps!
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was baptized as a baby in the Presbyterian church. Sucks to be all you guys, I'm going to heaven regardless. Meet you fine gentleman on the beer cloud, right next to the hot lesbian cloud...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I was baptized as a baby in the Presbyterian church. Sucks to be all you guys, I'm going to heaven regardless. Meet you fine gentleman on the beer cloud, right next to the hot lesbian cloud...

According to the Westminster Confession of Faith (the statement of faith the Presbyterian Church ascribes to) paedobaptism doesn’t guarantee salvation for anyone apart from saving grace through faith, but I am sure you already knew that.
    Last edited by Statler Waldorf; 02-19-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Quote Quote