Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your view regarding Heaven

1. -11
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

According to the Westminster Confession of Faith (the statement of faith the Presbyterian Church ascribes to) paedobaptism doesn’t guarantee salvation for anyone apart from saving grace through faith, but I am sure you already knew that.
    Don't be jealous, Statler. Just go get baptized yourself and you can live your life however you want, too. Me? I plan to drink more than any one person should, fornicate with my wife (and maybe a third if I can convince the misses?), and curse like a sailor. Then I'll probably high-5 whomever is standing next to the pearly gates on my way in, invite them to my cloud for some jaeger bombs, and laugh at everyone who lived a boring life to get where I already am. I love religion...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boynton Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    i love high fives and Jager bombs, Your cloud is great.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Don't be jealous, Statler. Just go get baptized yourself and you can live your life however you want, too. Me? I plan to drink more than any one person should, fornicate with my wife (and maybe a third if I can convince the misses?), and curse like a sailor. Then I'll probably high-5 whomever is standing next to the pearly gates on my way in, invite them to my cloud for some jaeger bombs, and laugh at everyone who lived a boring life to get where I already am. I love religion...
    As I pointed out, that’s not the Christian view of baptism at all, but you do what you like. Since the original poster was interested in the Christian teaching on such matters I had to correct your perverted view of the faith so as not to cause any confusion. I think I did that. Cheers.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Super secret agent

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Your basement
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    There is no up without down; no black without white; no joy without suffering. No wave ever only had a crest, and no trough, or vice-versa. As it currently stands, I don't know how it's possible to experience only joy without sorrow. If all you ever experienced was "joy", it wouldn't really be joyous because there'd be nothing to compare it to; it would just be your eternal, non-fluxing state. Which, to be quite honest sounds like a bit of a bore as well.

Preacher man, don't tell me,
    Heaven is under the earth.
    I know you don't know
    What life is really worth
    It's not all that glitters is gold;
    'Alf the story has never been told:
    --
    Most people think,
    Great god will come from the skies,
    Take away everything
    And make everybody feel high.
    But if you know what life is worth,
    You will look for yours on earth:

- Bob Marley
    thats a wonderful way to look at it. i grew up in the midwest in a evangelical family. all we were ever told was that in heaven you were eternally happy. i remember asking questions about it and being told to just stop and accept it. i dont think about it much anymore. but it was stuff like that that made me stop being a christian.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post
    thats a wonderful way to look at it. i grew up in the midwest in a evangelical family. all we were ever told was that in heaven you were eternally happy. i remember asking questions about it and being told to just stop and accept it. i dont think about it much anymore. but it was stuff like that that made me stop being a christian.
    Was baptized Catholic myself, did the communion, memorized the Lord's prayer, the whole nine yards. The smart ones do usually get disillusioned with it at some point or another. As with most religions, there's some good values there, but once you start taking all the dogma too seriously it gets a bit kooky (see Statler).
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Let me start by saying I'm more spiritual than religious. I don't know what to believe nor am I looking to be swayed either way. I just want to hear other opinions on what Heaven might be like. It is something we share together? Is it an individual experience? Is it bologna?

I've done some research online as a way to gain information on what other people might believe. What scares me, if Heaven exists, is what happens if one prematurely passes away. Example below:

Say I've been married 5 years and with my wife a total of 10. I die a natural death. She re-marries a few years later, has kids (we don't/do), etc.

Will all of us be in Heaven together? Since she is re-married it isn't like our marriage will "count" in Heaven seeing as she found someone else on Earth.

Any views would be great
    Yep, one big happy family.

And after you stopped on Locke's cloud for a while, after a few Jaeger Bombs you'd be doing things you'd thought you never be able nor capable of doing - all in the name of the family - just like Adam did with Eve who did her own sons and who did each other and their sisters, and so on....

You can also live Statler's wet dream of heaven and look forward to pedophile priests who look forward to every newcomer in the shape and form of young boys, or hordes of slaughtering maniacs who used to kill millions in brutal and torturous ways throughout the centuries in the name of the 'big boss'. If you manage to bypass these types of weirdos in Statler's heaven then you will have a beautiful life, or afterlife, in slavery conditions and indoctrination, serving your infinite afterlife just one man with a long beard (no, not Fidel Castro though there might not be a big difference).

Though my opinion is that your initial afterlife is only a few minutes at best until your brain functions completely stop. During that time your 'heaven' will be whatever has been manifested in your conscious as a possible afterlife. Some see as a bright light, some as a flash back of their lives, Locke has the party cloud and some Priests can play with altar boys without getting caught. After that: it's lights out. Sounds kinda rough but it is what it is.

Of course we should start first this whole 'philosophical/medical/religious' debate: what is death? When is a person dead?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Was baptized Catholic myself, did the communion, memorized the Lord's prayer, the whole nine yards. The smart ones do usually get disillusioned with it at some point or another. As with most religions, there's some good values there, but once you start taking all the dogma too seriously it gets a bit kooky (see Statler).

That’s a completely absurd statement and you know it, some of the most intelligent people the world has ever known have been Christians. There is zero correlation between intelligence and non-religious belief.

As for inferring I am somehow “kooky” (it’s interesting how I have been attacked several times in a thread I merely responded to the OP in), it’s actually rather satisfactory to know you have conceded the obvious fact that you cannot keep up with me in serious debate and have therefore resorted to merely attacking me personally; which of course proves you are utterly irrational (no surprise there, atheism reduces to absurdity). I accept your concession.

Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    And after you stopped on Locke's cloud for a while, after a few Jaeger Bombs you'd be doing things you'd thought you never be able nor capable of doing - all in the name of the family - just like Adam did with Eve who did her own sons and who did each other and their sisters, and so on....

I love how you seem to have taken it upon yourself to perpetuate the stereotype of the atheist who knows next to nothing about religion and yet claims to hate what it teaches. It’s a tough cross to bear, but if anyone here can do it, it’s you.
    Scripture never says Eve bore any children with her sons. As for all of humanity being the result of reproduction between brothers and sisters, we know from the mitochondrial evidence available even from an evolutionary perspective all of humanity descends from one women, which means that we are all a result of her children bearing children with one another, so you actually believe the very thing you are criticizing Christians for believing. I absolutely love it when creationists like myself have to teach evolutionists about evolution, its irony at its best! That lesson in evolutionary biology was free by the way; I am going to have to charge you for the next one though.

You can also live Statler's wet dream of heaven and look forward to pedophile priests who look forward to every newcomer in the shape and form of young boys, or hordes of slaughtering maniacs who used to kill millions in brutal and torturous ways throughout the centuries in the name of the 'big boss'. If you manage to bypass these types of weirdos in Statler's heaven then you will have a beautiful life, or afterlife, in slavery conditions and indoctrination, serving your infinite afterlife just one man with a long beard (no, not Fidel Castro though there might not be a big difference).

Apparently, just like Rob you have conceded that you are incapable of holding your own with me in a serious debate since you resort to this sort of childish nonsense. In all honesty, I enjoy it when you put forth posts like the one above that resemble nothing more than mental excrement because I get the satisfaction of rubbing your nose in it.

Scripture is quite clear that those who are unrepentant and continue to practice fornication, homosexuality, and murder will not inherit the Kingdom of God. So those wicked priests that you seem to be quite obsessed with will actually be spending their eternity with people who hate God like you do, it truly is a ‘match made in Hell’.

Though my opinion is that your initial afterlife is only a few minutes at best until your brain functions completely stop.

Well there is zero proof of that; it sounds like wishful thinking to me.

-SW
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Well I don't know about the incest part, but there's a good reason my cloud will be in close vicinity to the hot lesbian cloud...
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    [video=youtube;f40TRJl5vvI]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

Hitchens was a brilliant rhetorist, nothing more. His knowledge of philosophy, theology, and even biology were rudimentary at best, which was evidenced whenever he faced someone like Berlinski who was very well educated in all three disciplines. Take that video for example, he completely banks off of the premise, ‘if Hitchens doesn’t like the concept of something, that thing doesn’t exist.” This of course is a horrible logical non-sequitur, he either knows that and doesn’t care he’s being irrational, or he really doesn’t have a very good working knowledge about the rational reasoning he champions. Either way he’s quite inadequate.
    Quote Quote