Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae?

1. -31
    Longing for Relevancy...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    I do not understand some of your fascinations with this guy. I hear constantly about his "physical tools" and that one argument is growing extremely tired. You holler for upside, yet he is entering his 5th season, wouldn't you think he would have hit his prime LAST season? News flash, there is no upside to a CB who has several years of experience with 5 INTs in 65 career games. He isn't a rookie with one down season, it's a consistent performance of overwhelming mediocrity with this guy. Absolutely nothing screams shut down corner/ball hawk about him, it's the polar opposite. . I have seen Randy Starks ON THE LINE make more impact on the ball than Smith.

There is no way I let this guy eat up anywhere near $10m of the cap space which is so essential in building up the team into a perennial contender. My means of replacing him? Either trade up for Miller in swapping our 1st round pick into the top 6-8 while trading 3a (I would push hard for 3a, but may consider a 2nd rounder for Milliner), draft Desmond Trufant with a 2nd, or draft either Trufant OR Milliner while signing a Derek Cox in free agency. I wish luck to Smith where ever he goes, but he is just out of his damn mind in self-valuing himself. It's ludicrous.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see."
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by illscriptures View Post
    Sean Smith is our biggest hole in the Secondary?!?!?! Have you guys seen Nolan Carroll play before??? How about Richard Marshall? You guys wouldn't know a good DB if it was staring you in the face and you had the #12 overall pick in the draft... neither would Jeff Ireland for that matter.

We have one of the worst secondary in the league. And it isn't because of Smith.
    A group of guys (secondary) being the worst is never because of one guy (Sean Smith).

I think the real issue here is Sean Smith wanting $10M.

He's not out there on Sunday earning $10M. One man is only worth what another man is willing to pay for him, and this man doesn't think he's worth $10M.

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Longing for Relevancy...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ReppinThe941 View Post
    People who think letting Smith walk is a good idea due to him not being elite is idiotic. We have ZERO depth a corner and Smith, while not being lock down nor a game changer at this point, is still head and shoulders better than any of our other options this off-season. Smith has a big frame, can run, and is a guy we need to match up against the bigger more physical wr's. If Smith walks via FA for 8mill per somewhere else it will haunt us for years. He's only 25 and has already garnered so much valuable experience. The guy is still developing and his ceiling is astronomical. He could very well develop into an elite cb over the next few seasons. Another thing I don't understand is why so many poster's on here have sooooo much hate for him. I mean he played very solid for us last season. Did he have some harsh moments? sure did but name me one corner in football anywhere who didnt get beat a few times..... That happens. Also yeah he may not hit like a freight train like Vontae but when he gets his hands one you you go down. According to PFF he had a great percentage of making tackles. Granted PFF is not a extremely valuable source but still they do their research.

In conclusion.... If those of you that want Smith gone get their wish, they will be filled with regret down the road. Smith is the best corner available to us this league year maybe other than Milliner. And that would call for a huge trade up.

We cant afford to lose Smith, period. Pay they man 8mill per and cut Marshall ($4mill per) and Patterson($4mill per). Then let Caroll, McCann, and multiple draft picks compete for the other boundary. We have so many holes and can fill a huge one right here locking down our very good but not spectacular yet still developing #1 CB.

I can't seriously be the only one who feeels this way?

BTW The colts were foolish for trading for VD but they are dead on trying to nab Smith.
    So you have looked into a crystal ball and know for a fact that Smith (the definition of mediocrity) is better/going to be better than players like Dee Milliner, Johnathan Banks and Desmond Trufant who have never played a down in the NFL yet? Rookies have upside. 5 year veterans do not.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    in my house
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I I Think the back story of Vontae's brother in Washington DC - who has been schizophrenic his whole adult life as I understand it, bashed two people over the head in fit of random violence.

Vontae has never been the same.

People do not realize that this likely crushed Vontae. He looked crushed getting cut from the Dolphins on the HBO show -

My guess is that the Colts may see an opportunity - if Vontae is somewhat immature and struggling - if they can create a context where Vontae can recover and tap into that G-d gifted ability.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Smith had his moments so we canít just replace him with any old guy off the street but resigning him because we donít want to create another hole is just asking for trouble. The secondary may suffer for a year or two but letís be realistic, unless we hit some major homeruns in free agency and the draft, weíre not going to address every problem with this team in one offseason. Let Smith test the market. Worst case is we need to find a stop gap for a season.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Brave Rifles

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Send him packing now
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzlingFins04 View Post
    Smith will leave and become that shut down corner. Bank it. Its how it always goes down. They play in miami and suck then leave and become great and vice versa. Smith is a good cover corner. Now when you ask him to play zone then he becomes a liability. A lot of people on this board just watch the football game instead of actually analyzing the play. This isnt baseball where no matter where the ball is hit or who its hit too, every player already knows their assignment. Letting sean smith walk is just plain stupid (unless we sign grimes or cox) other than that you dont let him walk. Even if we plan to go after milliner.
    When has that ever happened?

Fans keep declaring "we'll regret it!!!!!" and it never occurs. Matt Roth didnt turn into a sack master. Channing Crowder didnt turn into the next Ray Lewis. Zach Thomas retired after playing a forgettable season in Dallas. Jason Taylor sucked in Washington and wasnt much better for the Jets. Patrick Surtain had some forgettable seasons in KC. Randy McMichael is a backup used for blocking. Will Allen is basically out of the league. Vernon Carey retired. Chris Chambers is out of the league. Sam Madison was solid for New York, but retired quickly as well. Jason Allen sucks. Patrick Turner blows. Clyde Gates had a single good game for the Jets. Greg Camarillo is all but out of the league. Ted Ginn is laughable. None of our former running backs have done anything worthwhile. And our former quarterbacks have proven to be god awful.

So when has a former player haunted us? Where is this persistent fear coming from? Wes Welker is it. Maybe Rob Ninkovich. A slot receiver and a rotational linebacker. Hardly the blackmark people make it out to be.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just think, if they overpay for Smith, Vontae will want to get PAID bigtime

Quote Quote  

9. -39
    The Futures of the NFL

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    When has that ever happened?

Fans keep declaring "we'll regret it!!!!!" and it never occurs. Matt Roth didnt turn into a sack master. Channing Crowder didnt turn into the next Ray Lewis. Zach Thomas retired after playing a forgettable season in Dallas. Jason Taylor sucked in Washington and wasnt much better for the Jets. Patrick Surtain had some forgettable seasons in KC. Randy McMichael is a backup used for blocking. Will Allen is basically out of the league. Vernon Carey retired. Chris Chambers is out of the league. Sam Madison was solid for New York, but retired quickly as well. Jason Allen sucks. Patrick Turner blows. Clyde Gates had a single good game for the Jets. Greg Camarillo is all but out of the league. Ted Ginn is laughable. None of our former running backs have done anything worthwhile. And our former quarterbacks have proven to be god awful.

So when has a former player haunted us? Where is this persistent fear coming from? Wes Welker is it. Maybe Rob Ninkovich. A slot receiver and a rotational linebacker. Hardly the blackmark people make it out to be.
    Brandon Marshall, Erik Walden, Adewale Ogunleye, Donald Lee didnt do to bad with green bay, Larry Izzo, hell even Sammy Morris out did himself. Im sure theres plenty more to name but off my head these stuck out. What's better though is how this thread is about Sean Smith staying or going and your trying to argue about my analogy.
    1. Sign Mike Wallace
    2. Resign Smith, Hartline, Starks, & Fasano.
    3. Draft CB Rd. 1
    4. Draft FS & "Seam Threat" TE Rd. 2
    5. Draft WR & DE Rd. 3
    6. Draft LB

Hater's shake my hand, but i keep that sanitizer on DECK!

Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Go DOLPHINS

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jupiter
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I kinda forget who drafted these two CB's. Can someone remind me?
    Quote Quote