Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Wallace worth a $60 million contract from the Dolphins?

1. -11
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Definitely NOT.

Sign Jennings at a more reasonable price and draft a homerun-hitting WR in Rounds 1 or 2.

It is my opinion that Mike Wallace will NOT be a success on his next team.
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's beyond a top 10 receiver. Worth it. The more money Wallace gets, the more money Jennings will think he's worth. Something to keep in mind....
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Time is Now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're not getting a bargain in FA with either Jennings or Wallace period. If you want either it's going to cost you.
    24/7 365 day a year #1 Phinatic
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    a top 10 WR are you guys serious?
    i think our $ can be spent better.why go back to cap hell.
    now if he asks for 6 years $45 i might b more intrested
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    5 years and $60 million sounds about right. Vincent Jackson's deal will be the baseline for negotiations with Wallace.

Jackson was 29 when he got is deal and Wallace is only 26 now.

If we want the deep threat we desperately need, we'll have to pay for it.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I definitey think the 12M per year is a realistic number ... he will get that, possibly more. Tampa Bay gave Vincent Jackson 5/55 and that's what Wallace turned down and I'd have to expect Wallace is more desired than Jackson. From us? Maybe, but I don't know. I'm expecting Jennings to produce more yards total in our offense than Wallace and cost around 9M per year. Where Wallace really helps is in the running game and possibly getting single coverage for our rookies, Hartline and Bess. If Wallace loses his speed, we'll have to cut him, because we can't carry those type numbers. Will he retain his super-speed through this contract and into his renegotiation at age 31/32? Not sure. So when looking at time, I'm not totally convinced Wallace has all that many more marquee years than Jennings.

Personally, I KNOW Jennings fits into our system like a glove. But, I'm not certain about Wallace. Often when a WR goes from one team to another--even talented ones--they simply aren't as good at the new place. Robert Meachem is one example. So, guys like Jennings in FA and Swope in the draft appeal to me. Instant-production. Would I like Wallace? Absolutely yes. Am I comfortable with his price tag ... maybe. He is worth that much and if we want him paying at least 12M per year is the only way ... and I could accept it, but am very uneasy about how quickly he produces in our system. At 12M, a decoy isn't enough--we need catches, yardage and bagloads of TD's. Jennings seems to factor around 6-8 TD's over a 16 game stretch, so I'd be looking for 8-10 TD's over that stretch for the money Wallace is asking ... and I think he could do it. But, I'm less confident of Wallace than Jennings.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allsilverdreams View Post
    a top 10 WR are you guys serious?
    Actually the numbers for Wallace say different than your statement

Since Mike Wallace entered the NFL in 2009 more than 320 wide receivers have played in the league. Only nine of them have recorded more receiving yards than Wallace over that stretch

Only two have scored more touchdowns, and only three have averaged more yards per catch.

Only 20 wide receivers in NFL history have had more yards in the first four years of their career.

Hes led the Steelers in touchdowns (or at least shared that lead) every year hes been on the team, including this past season.

Wallace has only missed 1 game in 4 years and is only 26 years old
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but the difference between 7-8 per and 11-12 per is significant. That's half of your money to sign draft picks, or 2/3 of what Soliai (one of our best players) is making. If I had no questions about Wallace as a person and competitor, I'd be inclined to eat the difference, but Wallace comes with a host of red flags. I'd prefer to sign Jennings for less and draft two WR's early. Jennings is - by all accounts - a good, team-first guy. Someone you can trust to help in the development of your young WR's. Wallace is not seen as a team-first guy or a guy that does the little things very well.
    If you're right and the difference is that significant then you go with Jennings. But I keep hearing how Wallace is our #1 target and I honestly think Jennings is going to get a bit closer to 10 million. Jennings is older and his injury history is troubling. He's not the playmaker Wallace is and at 26 I'd pay the extra 1-2 million a year.

Time will tell but I'm still in favor of Wallace. I'd be happy with Jennings though.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Finaholic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sanford Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wallace is worth it only if they use him like an 60 million dollar investment. The WCO uses a lot of check down routes, they might not get the value if the don't use him right.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Finaholic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sanford Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wallace is good but at what? he runs 9 routes and reverses, I would love to have him and Stedman Bailey is the best receiver in this draft, if he gets to the 2nd round I would be shocked, he should have a 1st round grade on him. Go get him dolphins.
    Quote Quote