Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Targets at WR

1. -41
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    jacony ford spends as much time in the training room as he does on the field...
    No kidding. That's why he'd be cheap. But at least he's got the chance to be something when he's healthy. Guys like Steve Breaston or Nate Burleson or Nate Washington are basically like getting rid of Brian Hartline to get another Brian Hartline. Washington's a cut above that group but Kenny Britt's problems are probably going to keep him in Tennessee for the time being.

Ford averages 17 yards per catch, would cost essentially nothing and would fill a niche the Dolphins are obviously looking to fill in a legit deep threat. You'd have to check out the Lisfranc stuff (he's injured it two years in a row now) which could be disqualifying, certainly, but it's a matter I'd give attention to.

I'll throw out a more prominent name:

SIDNEY RICE

Why is he available? He's overpaid in Seattle's run first scheme, with only 50 catches for 748 yards and seven touchdowns last year despite signing a 5 year, $41 million deal in 2011. He led the team in receptions but from watching every snap of Seattle last year I thought Wilson clearly had better chemistry with Golden Tate, especially down the stretch. Rice's ability to go up in one on one situations and make tough catches is a good fit for Seattle's play action, down the field passing game, but there are cheaper options out there than Rice, who's set to make $8.5 million each of the next two years. Rice has missed time each of the last three years and has seen his YPC drop slightly over that time (it was still a very respectable 15 last year), so Seattle might be ready to part with him and invest a high draft pick in a WR (they're loaded at most other positions).

Why would the Dolphins be interested? He's only 26 (a few months younger than Brian Hartline, actually. He came into the league at like only 20 years old). He's played in a West Coast system most of his career if not all of it and has shown that his high note is pretty damn high (see: 2009). Philbin would have seen Rice at his best that year and would know from his friends on the defensive staff at Green Bay what kind of challenges Rice presents. The GM of the Seahawks, John Schneider, is a veteran of Green Bay's front office when Philbin was coaching there, and we know the Seahawks people are friendly enough with the Dolphins people that they all had dinner together with Ryan Tannehill in the lead up to the 2012 draft. Rice is tall but sort of slight (6'4, 200) and doesn't have major drop issues that I know of (someone with a PFF subscription could check on this). Despite his lankiness he shown the ability throughout his career to body up and make tough catches in traffic, which can help a young quarterback. He's not a burner but he has a way of getting open deep, which shows in his YPC numbers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't think miami would want to pay sidney rice $8.5 mil each of the next 2 years...i'm sure his hip issues have some people spooked also
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't think miami would want to pay sidney rice $8.5 mil each of the next 2 years...i'm sure his hip issues have some people spooked also
    So every time someone suggests someone who isn't getting paid a ton and doesn't have major injury issues you say their team won't let them go and then when someone isolates a player who's team might be willing to part with them for some reason (pay, injuries) you say we won't want them.

Hard to believe anyone ever got traded to anywhere... ever.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    So every time someone suggests someone who isn't getting paid a ton and doesn't have major injury issues you say their team won't let them go and then when someone isolates a player who's team might be willing to part with them for some reason (pay, injuries) you say we won't want them.

Hard to believe anyone ever got traded to anywhere... ever.
    how often do guys actually get traded in the nfl who are making legitimate money??? not very...most the time guys are cut when their cap # is well inflated over their true value...most teams hang on to their good players in their prime...thus they have them signed to long term contracts...rices hip is not something you just blow off and considering how many problems it has given him you can bet that anyone who considers him in trade would weight the risk vs that inflated $8.5 mil #

i wouldn't trade for rice at that cap #...

frankly i don't see much of anything impactful coming our way at the position in trade...it's free agency or draft imo...might get a #3 or #4 type but whats the use in that...the rosters loaded with em
    Quote Quote  

5. -45

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if you're looking for true impact guy in trade potential look for guys in their last years of their contracts...the ones that you can sign to a long term extension which makes giving up the compensation for the player a worthwhile investment...

and i just don't see it this offseason anywhere...guys are either overpaid and injury prone and not smart financial investments to take on and trade high picks for or they're not gonna be touchable...

you might get larry fitz away from zona if you part with multiple 1st rounders and take on that massive contract plus he probably demands a contract extension out of it to come here also...you might...i think there's more chance of miami going a route like that than taking on anyones ugly contract where the guy doesn't meet the terms on the field
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Chris McCain Should Start

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    XB1 Conroller
    On a completely different note do you think the Jets would ever trade us Revis? I know I have mental problems, but is it really that impossible? Not even for a first coming off an injury and while he is in hot water with the Jets front office? Please remember I hasve mental problems so please excuse me for such a retarded idea.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    no the jets would not trade revis in division...mike williams is a guy thats in the last year of his contract...that could be possible...but then you look at the fact he's making 3rd round pick money in 2013 and what teams will say is i'd rather have this young guy who has proven he can at least play in this league for one more year and then decide what i want to do next offseason given how cheap he is than pick up what would likely be a at best a 3rd round pick return in trade...add in that tampa liked mike williams upside so much as a #1 wr that they went and paid v jax out the nose and why would anyone think he's gonna be a real #1 wr for them???

i just don't see it...
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Is there a chance that we trade a player for Miles Austin?
    CK's logic is solid. Austin is an acorn that Ireland (and probably Big Tuna) developed and subsequently blossomed after they were in Miami. After the hassles JI went through with our favorite borderline personality disorder WR, Marshall, Jeff doesn't want another high maintenance item. And he knows that Austin is high character and a consistent contributor.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Jacoby Ford, I think he's worth the risk for a late round pick. Ford seems like a guy that could thrive in Philbin's offense. If he can stay healthy but thats the risk, he hasnt played in awhile and he may be injury prone
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if you're looking for true impact guy in trade potential look for guys in their last years of their contracts...the ones that you can sign to a long term extension which makes giving up the compensation for the player a worthwhile investment...
    Like Victor Cruz??? The defense rests his case your honor!!!! You can send the jury home.
    Quote Quote