Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Trade Targets at WR

1. -91
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I might think about $9 million a year. But I believe the deal he passed on from the Steelers was actually $10 million a year.
    i thought he was offered the same thing plus a little extra antnio brown signed for??? if he balked at $10 mil per he's nuts...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The reason Clyde Gates ultimately didn't give us what Mike Wallace could've given us is just because he's not as good at running the vertical as we thought he'd be. He really runs very far wide of the corner in press, leaving absolutely no cushion to the sidelines and sometimes even stepping out of bounds making himself ineligible. Because of that, way more often than should be the case considering his speed and explosiveness, single corners are able to match up with him vertically. This is one reason that whenever I talk about Terrance Williams, I usually talk about what a narrow patch of grass he usually has to start out with because of the offense's spacing. He's always wide of the numbers, and when he gets open vertically, he doesn't do it by running pretty wide around a guy. He creates the separation and the opportunity in a more enclosed space.

Stephen Hill on the other hand...he doesn't fall into the same trap that Clyde Gates falls into. That's one reason I still like him even though I guess it's fun for a lot of people to hate on the guy. He's got to deal with Mark buttfumble throwing him the ball. Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of plays that go like this:

If you really watch that play unfold, you see that buttfumble is looking in the guy's direction, and he gets open. He gets devastatingly open, just as he did on several routes against the Miami Dolphins earlier in the year. The safety was a little late to react, and that's all that needs to happen with a guy like Stephen Hill that has 4.30 speed. Throw that ball 5 yards deep into the end zone and this is a 30+ yard touchdown. But Mark buttfumble doesn't see the field. He knew before the play started that he wanted to look off the safety and then check it down underneath, and that's what he did hell or high water.

Unsurprisingly, later in the same game, you've got plays like this:

And also this...

...where Stephen Hill commanded so much respect that there were perfect opportunities to be had EITHER by throwing the football to him, or by throwing the football to someone else underneath him.

And the Jets bought that in the mid-2nd round. They didn't need to pay $12 million for it.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i thought he was offered the same thing plus a little extra antnio brown signed for??? if he balked at $10 mil per he's nuts...
    Nah he was offered more than Antonio Brown. I've heard he turned down 5 years, $50 million. It could be a myth. I don't know for sure. I'm not really sure anyone does. The Steelers will probably say one thing and Wallace and his people will claim another thing. But I think that's the figure floating around.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just did a quick google search and every major site said he turned down $10mil/ year and that he wanted V Jack money. Dudes crazy. If he wants that kind of money there is no way Ireland signs him. Have fun playing for the Browns.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

4. -94

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    I just did a quick google search and every major site said he turned down $10mil/ year and that he wanted V Jack money. Dudes crazy. If he wants that kind of money there is no way Ireland signs him. Have fun playing for the Browns.
    he turned down $10 mil per at the beginning of the 2012 season cause he wanted $11 mil per instead at the end of the season...that doesn't add up...must be a hiccup in the guaranteed money the steelers were willing to give him under that $10 mil per year offer...
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    Ireland is playing on expired time. If he doesn't sign Wallace and misses on Jennings he's royaly ****ed unless he has a trick up his sleeve.

It's a win or go home situation for Ireland and possibly the entire regime this season. As stacked as the draft is you just can't expect those guys to come in and have a immediate impact. You just can't.

If he wants Vincent Jackson money then IMO for Miami to even be truly interested in him they have to be aware of his demands. The thing is he's 26 years old, 26. And possibly the most explosive WR in the entire league. I don't think he's worth VJack money but I would be willing to pay it. We have the money and the huge need for a WR of his capabilities. This wouldn't create any kind of serious cap situation either. We're sitting pretty with money. Just sign the man.
    Quote Quote  

6. -96

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    on that first cut with hill is that single high with a single deep safety or is the safety shaded to hills side...like i'm thinking he is...if he is shaded i can see where a qb like tannehill even would make a presnap read of the safeties position and look to go elsewhere with the ball...but then again you said he looked at hill on the play and should have picked up on the safety would not get there in time given his flat angle and thrown the ball way out in front for 6 thinking long to short...
    Quote Quote  

7. -97
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we all know why b marsh keeps getting traded or got traded from denver in the first place...same reason he got traded here...i don't see how that example makes much sense frankly...

demeco ryans was as you said coming off an achilles and hasn't been the same player since to be honest...his best football was played in houston...
    Agreed. He still got traded with that contract, though. And not for nothing.

i'm sorry if i'm ruining this exercise for many of you guys i'm just trying to look at it from a realistic point of view and what makes sense for the miami dolphins and i just don't see it with just about all these options...put it to you this way...i wouldn't do it...and i don't think many teams are gonna trade you assets for mid round picks just cause they have above average cap figures in 2013...

i'd go to free agency pluck the guy i like maybe overpay a little bit but that's what happens in free agency and then roll with high picks in the draft on the position to stabilize my core
    You're not ruining it. It's just that your standard for what counts as a reasonable example is... not reasonable. The key phrase in this part of your post is "not many teams." I actually agree with that. But we're not talking about laying odds on how many of these trades will happen this year. We're talking about if the Dolphins will make one.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

8. -98
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It would be closer to $5.0 million than $4.5 million but yes. You can get out of the contract with $5 million in dead weight, after having paid him $36 million for 3 years of service. That would be akin to Vincent Jackson's deal, which is what I'm hypothesizing.
    We can afford Wallace. I know many people question paying him Vincent Jackson money, but Wallace not only would give us a deep threat but it forces teams to double cover him or over-focus on him, which will create openings for other receivers. Defenses haven't had to worry much about us going deep, especially after we traded away B. Marshall. If you want a Ferrari you have to pony up more than you would for a Corvette.
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think people over estimate the effect on a defense of a Mike Wallace. I'm not always seeing deep safety responsiblity when I watch him. Often it's just a corner that gives him a lot of cushion and then bails pretty early in the route. And you say oh well that opens him for all kinds of stuff underneath. But A) Not unless the play is called that way, B) He's not all that good at running that underneath stuff.
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think people over estimate the effect on a defense of a Mike Wallace. I'm not always seeing deep safety responsiblity when I watch him. Often it's just a corner that gives him a lot of cushion and then bails pretty early in the route. And you say oh well that opens him for all kinds of stuff underneath. But A) Not unless the play is called that way, B) He's not all that good at running that underneath stuff.
    If he ran more effective comeback routes they might have to play him with a safety over the top and a corner underneath. But his comeback routes are sort of shabby and not consistent so they probably don't feel they have to. If he's not running deep he's not a concern so just play off and have the corner bail to a deep third and you're done, unless the corner with deep responsibility is Jason Allen.
    Quote Quote