Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Trade Targets at WR

1. -81
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i'm just trying to look at it from a realistic point of view and what makes sense for the miami dolphins and i just don't see it with just about all these options...put it to you this way...i wouldn't do it...and i don't think many teams are gonna trade you assets for mid round picks just cause they have above average cap figures in 2013...
    Probably, but in my case I'm talking about players and picks in a trade. Soliai, Clay, Incog, Bess all have trade value, imo.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -82
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    Probably, but in my case I'm talking about players and picks in a trade. Soliai, Clay, Incog, Bess all have trade value, imo.

Clay, Incog and Bess prob have minimal trade value. Now Solai may have decent value
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back

WVdolphan "Ireland gets it.
    And those who also get it, know that Ireland gets it. Those who are clueless are still concerned about cornfed and the running game"

WVDOLPHAN "The last thing this team should be worried about is the OC(offensive corn). When you add it all up, its really a pretty solid OC"
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    first off it's free agency...mike wallace as a free agent in this market is a $10 mil per year wr...no doubt in my mind...ideally i'd want a more 100 catch double digit td guy for that money but those guys rarely and i mean rarely come free in their prime unless they got skeletons in their closet like v jax did with san diego with the 2 dui's etc...

so looking at it from what is available what pops off the screen when you watch miami tape from 2012 which is a DIRE need for legitimate speed to back the defense up and make them play honest and the fact this kid fits that need to a t i'm interested from the jump...mike wallace may not be a a wr that is gonna break tackles and do murder in the red zone and i get that...but when you watch the miami o there's no doubt in my mind when we go max protect 2 wr sets with that guy on the field the opposition is gonna have to respect his ability vertical and he can drive on any db in football eat up their cushion get them to open their hips and come out of their pedal and run a variety of gear down routes in front of bailing dbs...

his route running for what he is asked to do has gotten much better...not as much wasted movement or false steps when he gears down...he can run that deep cross we like to run in max protect with hartline so much off pa and do murder...he's not a projection like so many speed wrs coming out of college he's a proven commodity...

so taking all that into consideration the fact that i totally believe that he can put up good per catch numbers with tannehill and murder people on deep comebacks and out routes and post routes and blow by any defense in football plus what his presence will do regarding teams wanting to put that extra safety in the box like we saw so much of last year reviewing what you have presented as v jax being the model i don't auto say no to it...also keep in mind that to me the hardest thing to find in this wr draft class is true blow by speed with polish...there's a lot of things in this class but that's one thing i don't see much of...everyone says marcus wheaton is that guy...i like marcus wheaton always have but if guys get their hands on him at the los he can be rerouted off his preferred line and lose at the stem of his route...and i don't think he's gonna run quite what many of you guys are expecting sunday...even still that's one option in a draft where 32 teams have every opportunity to trump you...

so how is mike wallace any different in getting off the los and not losing physically you might ask??? well i have nfl tape and years of it with wallace that shows me that dbs rarely press him cause if they miss on that initial attempt he's gone and they are toast...so most the time he gets a lot of off man coverage looks cause dcs and dbs are scared to death of his ability to get over the top on them and win vertical...and safeties too for that matter...and we got proof...he's the most scary vertical presence in football...the all 22 look from the press box of that cheetah burning down field probably has dcs jaws hitting the floor it's so filthy...

looking at your model if you are telling me that i can if need be lose mike wallace after year 3 and only eat around $4.5 mil in dead money considering he's only gonna be 29 years old then and yeah that age matters to me it's a chance i'd be willing to take...i'd roll the dice...

and then i'd focus on a red zone win wr with his size and physical specimen to add to the core in the draft...yes i'd take the chance under that model for a 26 year old in his prime wr that fits what we need to a t and has polish who hasn't been hampered with injuries...provided i do not get any major red flags when i check into his background and dig into him as a person...
    You would pay him Vincent Jackson money, or you wouldn't. That was the question. You SEEM to be saying yes, you're comfortable with that...$55.6 million over 5 years with $36 million paid to him in the first 3 years. That's fine. Personally, I disagree. If that's his price tag, I would beg off.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -84
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    You would pay him Vincent Jackson money, or you wouldn't. That was the question.
    can i get out after year 3 for $4.5 mil roughly in dead money???
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

5. -85
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    can i get out after year 3 for $4.5 mil roughly in dead money???
    It would be closer to $5.0 million than $4.5 million but yes. You can get out of the contract with $5 million in dead weight, after having paid him $36 million for 3 years of service. That would be akin to Vincent Jackson's deal, which is what I'm hypothesizing.
    Quote Quote  

6. -86

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    It would be closer to $5.0 million than $4.5 million but yes. You can get out of the contract with $5 million in dead weight, after having paid him $36 million for 3 years of service. That would be akin to Vincent Jackson's deal, which is what I'm hypothesizing.
    do i really think he's worth that??? no...do i know that in order to acquire his services i'm gonna have to overpay??? yes...i don't like the $36 mil over 3 years...that's steep stuff...i kick the rest of the wrs market and maybe come back to him...if he signs elsewhere in the meantime chance i take...i definitely wouldn't go to him out of the gate and offer that up though...no

it's a little more dicey than i like...but i do like a $5 mil out after 3 years...
    Quote Quote  

7. -87
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    do i really think he's worth that??? no...do i know that in order to acquire his services i'm gonna have to overpay??? yes...i don't like the $36 mil over 3 years...that's steep stuff...i kick the rest of the wrs market and maybe come back to him...if he signs elsewhere in the meantime chance i take...i definitely wouldn't go to him out of the gate and offer that up though...no

it's a little more dicey than i like...but i do like a $5 mil out after 3 years...
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the $5 million dead weight after 3 years may be an inaccurate estimation on my part. I'm patterning his contract after Vincent Jackson but there's a possibility that Wallace will argue in favor of the total dollar figure paid to Vincent Jackson, but also argue that more of it should be paid "up front" (signing bonus)...because where Vincent Jackson has been disciplined by the league and is one slip up away from a half a season suspension, Mike Wallace is completely clean and his only incidents of misbehavior (if indeed you can refer to a holdout as misbehavior which I personally do not) have been purely related to his ridiculously underpaid contract.

But for the purposes of this exercise I think it's OK to just assume Vincent Jackson money for now, until we get better clarity.

Personally I can't pay a Mike Wallace $12 million a year. It would really handcuff you. I recognize there are things he does to a defense with his speed but you can actually buy that kind of effect, it doesn't have to be a Mike Wallace $12 million a year. He's a productive receiver but can he be productive enough? I don't think he can be and I don't think it's really a fit for this offensive style anyway.
    Quote Quote  

8. -88

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think a good fair free agent contract for mike wallace averages $9 mil per...if he was good on a 5 year $45 mil deal i would pounce...

but again i don't think he passed on the steelers $8 mil per offer thinking he was gonna sign for another mil per year...
    Quote Quote  

9. -89
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo

Re: Trade Targets at WR

Ideally you sign Jennings, draft 2 Wrs in the top 5 picks (one definitely a guy that can stretch the field) obtain a seam threat at TE and resign Bush. Its the best plan going. Ck is right... giving Mike Wallace 12 million per just isnt a great way to build a championship contender... even tho as fans we just want playmakers. Thats alot of money for speed on the outside. Miami had the right idea with Gates ... and should swing again for speed in the draft.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

10. -90
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think a good fair free agent contract for mike wallace averages $9 mil per...if he was good on a 5 year $45 mil deal i would pounce...

but again i don't think he passed on the steelers $8 mil per offer thinking he was gonna sign for another mil per year...
    I might think about $9 million a year. But I believe the deal he passed on from the Steelers was actually $10 million a year.
    Quote Quote