Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson: Draft Experts Comments

1. -1
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin

Barry Jackson: Draft Experts Comments

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

I am still intrigued by Ansah. I think Mayock's quote on Ansah is where I am. He will be good, but how long do you have to wait? Good point. Also, the TE's should be interesting this weekend to see how they run etc. The Patterson kid will be a stud IMO.

Anyways, let the debate continue.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Id like a TE, but i dont see either of the top 2 based on where we are picking. It would be hard to pass on someone like Escobar or Kelce if available late 3 early 4
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    man there's some poor analysis there from some of the "experts"

who the heck projects dion jordan as a "put on 20 lbs and play end" in a 43 when the guy has never played anything but standing up...why the heck would you make that kid an end when he screams 34 olb...they quote aldon smith as his ceiling well guess what smiths a 34 olb in san fran...

and landes crazy if he thinks ansahs jpp...

i can tell mayock has spent too much time doing color commentary for nfl network during the nfl season etc and not enough time yet looking at college tape...got his hands in too many things
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Canandaigua,NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Ansah but IMO the interview process will tell how long(if)it would take.Hopefully Ireland and Philbin can recognize that.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ansah is not as raw as people think. He is probly like most at this level anyways, they only have one or two moves, which is why Datone Jones and Okafor do hand work with people, its to up their game before they get to the next level.

Rawness for defensive players is not as big a deal to me that an offensive player.

Ansah has the quickness and size. He is 6'6 I heard the other day when reading Senior bowl stuff which amazes me. He doesnt look tall somehow but he is. He is humble, ready to learn and just do what is asked of him. Which is big for me at the next level.

I think the question Ireland/Philbin will have for him is how passionate is he about football since he is relatively new to it and transferring from soccer/track. He also doesnt have a birth certificate from Africa so his age is a little concern IMO because are they taking him high and he is already 24?
    1. Zach Martin OG
    2. Jace Amaro TE
    3. Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB
    4. Michael Schofield RT
    5. Chris Watt/Trai Turner OG
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    man there's some poor analysis there from some of the "experts"

who the heck projects dion jordan as a "put on 20 lbs and play end" in a 43 when the guy has never played anything but standing up...why the heck would you make that kid an end when he screams 34 olb...they quote aldon smith as his ceiling well guess what smiths a 34 olb in san fran...

and landes crazy if he thinks ansahs jpp...

i can tell mayock has spent too much time doing color commentary for nfl network during the nfl season etc and not enough time yet looking at college tape...got his hands in too many things
    Nothing but the truth.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anyone who saw Ansah during the 1-on-1 drills at the Senior Bowl knows just how raw he is. Extremely raw. More raw than people are saying - not less. Upside? Yes. It's one thing to not have a multitude of pass rush moves. It's another to have no understanding of how to leverage a blocker for a win. That's where Ansah's at.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm with you hooshoops. Dion Jordan scares me. I can see Pittsburgh taking him or Montgomery and making either a star, but both have huge bust potential too. Jordan seems too tall to cover as a LB, so he'd strictly be a pass rusher in a 34. He has shown no ability to gain muscle and even then is a major projection as a DE, and I fear he will not stop the run or consistently set the edge even then. There aren't too many Jason Taylor type players out there, and it's a major leap to think Jordan could be one of those ... I just don't see it. But, for a zone blitz team he offers a lot of versatility and a team like Pittsburgh has had success with those type of tweeners in the past, whether it's undersized LB's like Harrison or taking a big LB and turning him into a monster, they seem to have the formula. I don't see it happening in Miami though.

Ansah doesn't strike me as a JPP type. But, I could see him developing into a Tamba Hali type, so his ceiling is quite high, even if he is miles away from it currently. If I were taking a risk on a guy who needs lots of development, I'd roll the dice on Mingo rather than Ansah or Jordan. But, even Mingo is a very raw and under-performing project right now.

The combine TE's are coming in as I predicted. Eifert is the slightly taller and longer armed guy, and when they run Ertz will be the faster guy with short arms ... although Ertz's hands are big. The red zone target is Eifert, but the movement guy is Ertz. I'd be happy with either one. The TE that really has risen in my eyes since the season ended is Vance McDonald of Rice who impressed at the Senior Bowl and at weigh in measured the longest arms and a solid 6'4 with very large hands. He is also the heaviest TE there, so he has the bulk to block in line. I'm sure he's rising on boards.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I'm with you hooshoops. Dion Jordan scares me. I can see Pittsburgh taking him or Montgomery and making either a star, but both have huge bust potential too. Jordan seems too tall to cover as a LB, so he'd strictly be a pass rusher in a 34. He has shown no ability to gain muscle and even then is a major projection as a DE, and I fear he will not stop the run or consistently set the edge even then. There aren't too many Jason Taylor type players out there, and it's a major leap to think Jordan could be one of those ... I just don't see it. But, for a zone blitz team he offers a lot of versatility and a team like Pittsburgh has had success with those type of tweeners in the past, whether it's undersized LB's like Harrison or taking a big LB and turning him into a monster, they seem to have the formula. I don't see it happening in Miami though.

Ansah doesn't strike me as a JPP type. But, I could see him developing into a Tamba Hali type, so his ceiling is quite high, even if he is miles away from it currently. If I were taking a risk on a guy who needs lots of development, I'd roll the dice on Mingo rather than Ansah or Jordan. But, even Mingo is a very raw and under-performing project right now.

The combine TE's are coming in as I predicted. Eifert is the slightly taller and longer armed guy, and when they run Ertz will be the faster guy with short arms ... although Ertz's hands are big. The red zone target is Eifert, but the movement guy is Ertz. I'd be happy with either one. The TE that really has risen in my eyes since the season ended is Vance McDonald of Rice who impressed at the Senior Bowl and at weigh in measured the longest arms and a solid 6'4 with very large hands. He is also the heaviest TE there, so he has the bulk to block in line. I'm sure he's rising on boards.
    scouts said his athleticism reminded them of the maimi u guy in new orleans. name escapes me at the moment. I think that may be a bit kind but no one knows at the next level cus its about work ethic and dedication aside from having the tools imo.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Anyone who saw Ansah during the 1-on-1 drills at the Senior Bowl knows just how raw he is. Extremely raw. More raw than people are saying - not less. Upside? Yes. It's one thing to not have a multitude of pass rush moves. It's another to have no understanding of how to leverage a blocker for a win. That's where Ansah's at.
    2 things on that. One, Mayock said people tend to get exposed in those one on one drills but that its not the end all say all because its diferent setting.
    second, if he runs a 4.6 something in the forty like they say he can, its all over. He will be the talk of the day. its like patrick willis running a 4.5. That guy covers ground, which is how they will see ansah for a guy his size.
    Quote Quote