Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jared Odrick will shed 20 pounds if he's asked to stay at defensive end

1. -1
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jared Odrick will shed 20 pounds if he's asked to stay at defensive end

Jared Odrick - DL - Dolphins

Dolphins RE Jared Odrick says he will shed 20 pounds this offseason if he's asked to stay at defensive end.

He's keeping the weight on for now in case DT Randy Starks leaves in free agency and Odrick has to kick inside. We suspect Starks will be tagged if no long-term deal is reached, and Odrick will stay at end regardless. Even at the lesser weight, Odrick is unlikely to suddenly become an explosive pass rusher.

Source: Miami Herald
    Feb 23 - 10:50 PM

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    N.W. GA.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think he'd be playing out of position if he's made to stay at DE in our defense.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    John Edwards

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    PS4 ControllerPlaystation LogoCap's shieldCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    There are enough teams transitioning to 3-4 schemes this year that at least someone has to want a surefire 5-technique DE for a 2nd rounder. Building the defensive line is critical to any team that wants to focus on the attacking, blitzing LB features if the 3-4. Odrick may not fit the 4-3 but he is certainly an outstanding athlete for the 3-4.
    Tailgun

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why didn't he do this LAST YEAR?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    At least he is looking to better himself under diff circumstances should they arise. thats admirable. I think he sees that Starks will be tagged.

long and Smith seem untouchable without the tag.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxOn WaxOff View Post
    Why didn't he do this LAST YEAR?
    My guess is that it came as much a surprise to him as to most of us that he was pegged as a 4-3 DE last year. I don't think its what anyone wanted, but the coaches had to work with that they were provided with and the players had to adapt to the new scheme.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgun View Post
    There are enough teams transitioning to 3-4 schemes this year that at least someone has to want a surefire 5-technique DE for a 2nd rounder. Building the defensive line is critical to any team that wants to focus on the attacking, blitzing LB features if the 3-4. Odrick may not fit the 4-3 but he is certainly an outstanding athlete for the 3-4.
    Thing is, he's a perfect fit for the 4-3 . . . in the position Randy Starks plays now. Jeff Ireland's strongest attribute is his ability to find Defensive Tackle talent. I know people like Randy Starks, but if Miami plays to it's strength, it kicks Odrick inside at his minimal salary and trust in their GM to find additional depth. Ireland signed Starks early for cheap, found Mcdaniel for a 7th rounder . . . had talented guys as UDFA's last season who competed at high levels in Camp/preseason . . . . Miami would be kind of silly to spend 8 million on Starks when that money could be used elsewhere and you have his replacement waiting in the wings.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    John Edwards

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    PS4 ControllerPlaystation LogoCap's shieldCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    I don't disagree. In fact all along this offseason I'd assumed we were letting Starks go in favor of kicking Odrick inside. It's only now that we're hearing this 11th hour stuff about franchising Starks that has me a bit confused.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    Miami would be kind of silly to spend 8 million on Starks when that money could be used elsewhere and you have his replacement waiting in the wings.
    Starks is a unique talent....I like Odrick but hes not capable of replicating what a healthy Starks can do on the field.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm of the same mindset as Tailgun on Starks. I've always wanted to use his $6-8mil elsewhere but then the talking heads began stressing Ireland wants continuity on the interior and I changed my mind. But now thinking at the lack of leverage Ireland has with Smith and that Combine interview on Smith could be that guy tagged, eff Armando's swearing up and down that Smith isn't getting the tag, if Miami isn't wanting to make a 6 year offer to keep Smith, Smith is the one getting the tag.

Starks should be the one let go and maybe use his $6-8mil with help on a restructure of Dimitri Patterson's $4.6mil and maybe we can sign Long $9.5mil ,Wallace $10.5mil, "and" Jennings at say $8mil. Smith of course tagged at $10mil. That'll probably take up depending on how the contracts are structured anywhere from $28-38mil.

Dumping Bess frees up another $3.5mil, so between the say $3.5mil from restructuring Patterson and the $3.5mil from dumping Bess you're adding $7mil to the $46mil. So that more than covers the draft and a mil or two for injury insurance and we still have anywhere from $8-18mil of cap space to sign Clemons, Matt Moore, Fasano, and maybe even Bush. And we can always restructure Dansby if we are obsessed with bringing Starks back. These things are doable believe it or not.

I know, I know, we want to extend Jones...that comes from the $10mil that comes off the books from Smith's tag number next year and Incognito's $5mil. So you concentrate 2014 draft on CB. Big deal.
    Quote Quote