Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: MORT: dolphins internally discussing signing Wallace AND Jennings

1. -91
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minnesota
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think either Mort or whomever he's talking to needs to stop smoking whatever they are smoking. While that sounds great and makes for interesting press, the fact remains that these two are likely going to be starting at a price between 12-15 mil/yr. While it eventually could come down a little, we'd have to hope that nobody else is willing to pay that amt and with some teams having cap and big needs at WR, it's possible. If by some miracle we were able to get both, I'm guessing it would be at least in the 12 million/yr range for both. Do we want to use 24 mil of our cap on two WR's. They are great players (don't get me wrong), but we still need guys to block and tackle too.
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's simple. Dare to be great. Go by the Pat Riley philosophy and ask yourself this question.....what would Pat Riley do? You think when Riley signed Lebron/Wade/Bosh he was worried about being in "cap hell"? Championships are won by all stars...playmakers...pro bowlers. I say sign Wallace and Jennings and don't look back. And despite what some people on here think, it won't put the Dolphins in cap hell. Not even close. That makes signing both a no-brainer...even if you have to overpay to secure both. Give Wallace his $12 million and give Jennings his $9 million. That will generate enough buzz and excitement around town that it will actually get people to want to go to the games. This will create additional revenue and offset the difference of the extra money paid to sign both instead of signing Hartline.

Of course what will likely happen is Ireland will go the cheap route, get outbid, settle on resigning Hartline, and go through another mediocre boring season. If only we had Pat Riley running the show. That's a dude that truly gets it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    For the love of god will everyone stop comparing the Dolphins to the Heat. In the NBA you have 5 starters. In the NFL you have over 22 starters it is a completely different thing
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Doesn't matter Hankey. In both sports championships are won with stars and playmakers. Yes you need more playmakers in the NFL because there are more positions. Exactly why the Dolphins shouldn't settle for mediocrity and should start adding the playmakers/all stars. They need to get 10 to become a title contender. Wallace and Jennings would give them two. Wake and Starks gives them two more. If Tannehill develops thats 5. They can add two more through the draft, that's 7. They'll be close if they hit on their draft picks and if Lamar Miller is what Ireland thinks he is.

It is rare when elite pro bowl Wr's are available in the market. Dolphins need to pounce on Jennings and Wallace and take advantage of this tremendous opportunity. They won't have this type of opportunity to lock up two sure thing playmaking studs like them in a long time.
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Playmaker76 View Post
    It's simple. Dare to be great. Go by the Pat Riley philosophy and ask yourself this question.....what would Pat Riley do? You think when Riley signed Lebron/Wade/Bosh he was worried about being in "cap hell"? Championships are won by all stars...playmakers...pro bowlers. I say sign Wallace and Jennings and don't look back. And despite what some people on here think, it won't put the Dolphins in cap hell. Not even close. That makes signing both a no-brainer...even if you have to overpay to secure both. Give Wallace his $12 million and give Jennings his $9 million. That will generate enough buzz and excitement around town that it will actually get people to want to go to the games. This will create additional revenue and offset the difference of the extra money paid to sign both instead of signing Hartline.

Of course what will likely happen is Ireland will go the cheap route, get outbid, settle on resigning Hartline, and go through another mediocre boring season. If only we had Pat Riley running the show. That's a dude that truly gets it.
    Don't forget that it would create much needed excitement, and the stadium renovations are going to a public vote. Add in new uniforms and it's a whole new era..

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AFCMiamiEast View Post
    Milliner, without question for me. We would have to trade up under any circumstance in drafting him, CB is too much of a desired position, especially for teams in the top 10 and extremely little chance he reaches the 12th spot.
    Milliner would be my choice too. I'd trade up for Tyler Eifert if i took Milliner in @ 12
    Quote Quote  

6. -96
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm glad they at least appear to be discussing it. I think in the end it will probably be too much money for Ireland to spend on two players. But I would be completely behind it. We have a 2-3 year window of having a cheap but good QB. Once Tannehill gets his franchise contract, we'll have significantly less money to work with. Baltimore took advantage of their Flacco window just as it was closing. Paying for talent at skills positions is a luxury we can afford while Tannehill is on his rookie contract.
    Quote Quote  

7. -97
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's a great point Oasis. Lets take advantage of getting the offensive playmakers now since Tanny is on his rookie contract. Once Tanny gets his second contract it will hard to surround him with elite offensive skill position talent without sacrificing defense or O-line play. Now is the time to strike and dish out the money to add offensive playmakers.
    Quote Quote  

8. -98
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Just moved to Charlotte.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All I can say is hopefully Mort is right for once... Wallace Jennings bess Mathews and a rookie. Sweet.
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    BIG_FISH_RI

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IF Miami pulls this off!! it is win now mode and we are going to be some real happy fans. I couldn't back Jeff more if this was pulled off. You can win in the NFL with a high powered offense and an average Defense. The best thing is our defense is 2-3 player away from being top 10.
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Dirty Dirty
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd love to have them, but I'd prefer to sign one then sign a TE like Martellus Bennett and a DE like Michael Johnson. We have more needs than just WR.

Dream Phins Draft (As of 5/6):
    1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Ju'Waun James 4. De'Anthony Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Brandon Linder 7. Nevin Lawson
    Quote Quote