Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rank Tannehill's Arm Strength, is it top 10?

1. -31
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    You guys are forgetting about Chad Henne! So sad.
    It's not that we forget. Some traumatic experiences your brain chooses to ignore!
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig View Post
    I think people start compiling these lists and always manage to confuse skill with strength. Rodgers is a great QB but he doesn't have a great arm.

Can't say where Ryan ranks amongst his peers......all I know is that he has looked perfectly capable of making every throw.

you obviously haven't watched Rodgers at all. he has a God Darn howitzer for an arm. besides arm strength is overrated. nobody ever accused montana of having a cannon. like was said before accuracy and timing trumps arm strength. ryan leaf had a big arm how did that work out

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MRojas4 View Post
    Arm strength to the point of?

I can't think of any starting NFL QB that can't throw a 60 yard bomb. It's more about touch and timing.
    christian ponder! ponder makes pennington look like elway.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1012 View Post
    you obviously haven't watched Rodgers at all. he has a God Darn howitzer for an arm. besides arm strength is overrated. nobody ever accused montana of having a cannon. like was said before accuracy and timing trumps arm strength. ryan leaf had a big arm how did that work out

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

christian ponder! ponder makes pennington look like elway.

Good points and I agree with most. But timing and accuracy can sometimes be taken away by great Defenses.
    Having a cannon arm, that can squeeze throws into tight windows, gives a huge edge in that regard.
    Look at Pennington for example, great accuracy. A wr may be open when Pennington begins his throw.
    But by the time the ball reaches it's target, the defender has closed the gap considerably, leading to an incomplete pass or no run after the catch opportunity.

Of course, having a cannon doesn't solve accuracy issues.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    RT has a live arm -- much better than john beck, that's for sure. However, he doesn't have as strong an arm as Flacco.

What he DOES have is a quick release and an excellent arm -- plenty good enough to throw downfield deep. Watch game tape on him, and look at how many times he's throwing downfield to WRs that are slower than the DBs -- yet he almost always puts it to where the WR or no-one can make the catch [most often incomplete, due to extremely slowfooted WRs, or, in the case of a faster WRs, dropped balls or otherwise incomplete].

One thing I noticed, however, is that Tanny couldn't always step into his throws due to poor OL play and/or sprint outs... he most always still have enough on the ball to make the completion or give it a chance to be completed.

LD
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman54 View Post
    I'll take Kaepernick's fastball over any of those,except maybe Rodgers'!!!
    Kaepernick has a major fastball, HOWEVER, he also has a major windup and slow release to go with it.

Good thing the read/option usually buys him extra time -- along w. the far and away best OL in the game. Otherwise that slow release would cost him some bigtime hits.

LD
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    BELIEVE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Golden State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    1972 Dolphins LogoSnakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnny63 View Post
    Jamarcus = #1
    This just goes to show, you can have the arm, but if you don't have the smarts to play in the NFL you won't last very long.

As far as Tannehill, he's got quite an arm and seems to have the smarts, we just need to get him some more explosive and consistent tools to work with.
    I just try to be myself, whatever that is. I don't think about how I'll be remembered. I just want to be consistent over a long period of time. That's what the great players do.
    -Dan Marino
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    How is Rothlisberger not on that top 10 list?
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Dan is the Man

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There is only one way to test arm strength.
    Just beat those Stinking JETS
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    DEPRESSED BY REALITY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If QB was measured by arm strength then Jamarcus Russel and Jeff George would be Canton bound. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Steve Young don't/didn't have great arms and they came out just fine.

As far as pure arm strength right now I'm thinking Flacco, Stafford, Vick, Cutler, Newton, Kap are top five. Rothesberger, Freeman, Rogers. RT, RG3 are in the 2nd 5 discussion.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Is this starters only? If this list includes back ups, Ryan Mallett would be top 5.
    Quote Quote