The way things are lining up I am starting to get the feeling that picking up a Big Time WR in FA not as likely as some of us had hoped and I am not really mad about that. It is starting look like it might not make sense to go the FA route for a receiver.
When you wade through all the b/s we can see that:
- Some of the best areas of depth in this yearís free agency are: CB, OT, and DE. (Not WR)
- Miami could use depth at CB, OT (if long goes) and DE. (among other areas)
- This draft looks to have an abundance of speed at WR (making Wallace worth a bit less) and unlike many previous draft's, some of the best hands and YAC/TD guys are also some of the fast ones.
- If Miami can address most of our other pressing (non WR) area's of need in free agency then the coaches can feel good about using some if not most of our early picks for WR/TE
And specifically on Wallace and Jennings:
- Wallace wants to get paid and he arguably is going to want more than what he is worth.
- If it's not us, some other team will overpay for Wallace.
- Some news outlets are saying Philbin does not especially covet Jennings as a player. (This may just be cover or BS)
- Jennings also may want to get paid more than he is worth. He is also getting older and an injury risk.
- Philbin seems cool and level headed and is said to have a substantial amount of input on FA/Draft pickups. If you look at last year with Flynn, all the experts said he would surly be a Dolphin and that Philbin loved him, that turned out to be completely false. Philbin saw Flynn for who he was, a possibly decent player but not a Franchise QB worth a franchise contract. It may be that the whole "Jennings to Miami because of Philbin" thing is similarly flawed argument based on assumptions.
- Ireland may (and should) be wary of getting in another situation with an expensive FA that might not work out like Marshall.
I personally do want to add either Wallace or Jennings in FA at the right price. (I would pay substantially above market value for Wallace but not way above) If that cannot be done I will be happy as long as Ireland/Philbin cover as many (non WR) areas of need /depth as possible in FA. We have too much free cap space to sit around and do nothing. As long as we cover as many of our other weaknesses as possible in FA we will have the liberty to use the early draft picks to add weapons on offense.