Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson

This is not meant to be a debate on Jeff Ireland's competence. What do we know about this current regime?

1- They love seniors and guys that have played 3+ years in college. The one exception is Ryan Tannehill, only having started 16 games at QB
    2- Joe Philbin and Jeff Ireland have both stressed that the ability to be a natural hands catcher trumps all at WR.
    3- They like high character guys.
    4- They like guys that produced in college.
    5- No loudmouths.
    6- They don't like drafting WR early.

Patterson played at 3 different schools in college. Most of the film ive seen, he traps the ball with his body. Character...who knows. But he did have some bonehead moments v Mizzou (celebrating too early) and Florida (celebrating simple first downs). Not enough to frown upon his character..but enough to give pause. He didn't light the world on fire in college, despite being covered by #2 corners (Justin Hunter got covered by the #1s) and despite having an NFL caliber quarterback throwing to him. Physically he's a beast, and looks the part...but i don't see anyway that the Dolphins draft him at #12, not if it meant theyd have to completely go against their blueprint, especially with the pressure to win now, and 3 viable WR targets to be had in FA and a plethora of 2nd and 3rd round talent in the draft.

I don't want us drafting him, and i'm confident that we won't.

Discuss
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I certainly agree that he does not fit the "mental makeup" aspect. I certainly agree with the production standpoint but I dont think him coming out as a junior means so much.

My personal thing is what he did in college will not translate to the pros, at least not like people think. first, he is not as dangerous as a WR. He would be very dangerous if he caught the ball in open field all day. But fact is, in the NFL, they will just shut you down with challenges at the LOS where his rawness would be tested all day. There is so much more than skill at the WR position that is needed and that is why it takes most a couple of years to really shine.

And the final thing, why should I want Patterson when a guy who is faster, runs great routes in the system we run and scores TDS's with lots of production is there at a much nicer value? I dont get how people cannot simply acknowledge that. Its because they only have one thing on the mind. Madden football.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd be ok w. drafting Patterson with a late first or early second -- but I don't see an immediate gamebreaker in him on the NFL level.

PLEASE Don't draft him at 12 -- not with all the talent that will be on the board!!

LD
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O Town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i agree the guy is DUMB as doornails, and he will probably go to a team that has a proven number one to learn the finer things about the position...............

HOWEVER

using Ireland's past exploits mean nothing because he changed is philosophy with Philbin

i agree that we wont get Patterson, just for different reasons

Da'Rick Rodgers and Justin Hunter, Allen or Woods are better pass catchers and ALL can be had with 2A or 2B
    Follow me on Twitter.. @DSEmpire_BA

For My work http://dynastysportsempire.com/author/brent-antonio/
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Patterson is the most talented receiver in the draft. The dude takes it to a whole different level when he gets the ball in his hands. He has a crazy ability to make people miss. I would be extremely thrilled if he was our pick at 12.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O Town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LDaniel7 View Post
    I'd be ok w. drafting Patterson with a late first or early second -- but I don't see an immediate gamebreaker in him on the NFL level.

PLEASE Don't draft him at 12 -- not with all the talent that will be on the board!!

LD
    He probably wont make it out of the top 10
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bjoern "Germinator" Werner at #12
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I do find it somewhat funny that you mention how much Ireland loves seniors and here are some of the picks with him as GM (whether they are with Parcells or not)

Phillip Merling JR
    Vontae Davis JR
    Sean Smith JR
    Brian Hartline JR
    Reshad Jones JR
    Jonathan Martin JR
    Olivier Vernon JR
    Lamar Miller RS SO

now granted all but the Miami boys played a lot during their short time in college.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd have to differ completely on where the bonehead resided in Tennessee's offense.... he was behind center. Bray was the one that couldn't stay out of trouble with the law and was constantly in front of a judge for being a bonehead during his time at Tennessee. Never could complete 60% of his passes despite the weapons at his disposal inbetween throat slashing gestures and missing wide open receivers.

Secondly, Patterson wasn't facing the opposition's #2 corner. There ain't much I wouldn't stake on Patterson outproducing just about any offensive draft pick Miami has made since Ronnie Brown. You could strap weights to his ankles and he'd still be the most explosive playmaker on Miami's roster. So we agree, Ireland won't draft him.

But fear not, he'll be sure to "steal" another Lamar Miller or John Nalbone in the middle rounds.

As for Keenan Allen, he has his own issues that nobody would know unless they were extremely close to the program.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 02-28-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    1st Team All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "0%" chance we draft Patterson is 100% wrong
    Last edited by TrinidadDolfan; 02-28-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Quote