Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

GM Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mbine/1951857/

FYI: Jeff Ireland was mentioned today in a story by Christine Brennan in USA Today discussing alleged illegal interview practices by NFL teams. The quote follows:

"This isn't the first time an NFL team has done something ridiculous at the combine. In 2010, Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland asked Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. When that got out, it didn't go over very well either. (Bryant was selected 24th overall by the Dallas Cowboys.)"
    Last edited by z926538; 02-28-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Fixing Link
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albany, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO, these questions aren't real questions. I don't think anyone really cares if someone's mother is a prostitute, or if someone's into the same sex. I think it's more to see how the player reacts to these questions, and how they would react when taunted on the field
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

I honestly think the Dez story was overblown. I completely think that was a way to measure his attitude.

Now, asking about sexuality is expressly forbidden by the law.
    FIRE FAILBIN
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Christine Brennan. Keep grinding that ax.

I think these questions are getting asked because losing and ****ing up gets you fired in this league in a blink of an eye. Teams are asking these questions that appear over the top, but in the team's mind it is due diligence. Perhaps the teams need to take a step back and put it in perspective. However, I do not think they are asking these questions out of ignorance, it is simply they want to get a pick right.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traptses View Post
    IMO, these questions aren't real questions. I don't think anyone really cares if someone's mother is a prostitute, or if someone's into the same sex. I think it's more to see how the player reacts to these questions, and how they would react when taunted on the field
    Irregardless of the motive of the questions, both the league offices and the NFL player union are in complete agreement that all national, state and local employment laws must be followed by the teams. If you have ever been in a position where you have interviewed a potential employee, you are made aware by HR that there are certain questions you can not ask because they are against the law to ask. Questions regarding sexual orientation are on that list.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    I don't mind articles mentioning the 2010 Bryant/Ireland situation as a relation to what apparently happened at this year's combine. The Ireland situation happened, it was unfortunate, but it will always be on the minds of people when something like this happens.

However, I have seen some people already start trying to connect Ireland to this specific situation. No facts, sources or reports, they just take this story as an attempt to try and bash Ireland even more. These individuals apparently have a monthly quota to meet so they will go to the bottom of the barrel to do so. Now I am not saying this thread or the OP is doing that, not at all. I saw one member already make an off topic post in another thread trying to connect Ireland to it and there was one individual on Twitter that went on a big rant about Ireland and this latest story. Even started convincing others that Ireland was indeed the center of the story. Until I hear otherwise, this is a NFL issue and has nothing to do with Ireland or the Miami Dolphins.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I don't mind articles mentioning the 2010 Bryant/Ireland situation as a relation to what apparently happened at this year's combine. The Ireland situation happened, it was unfortunate, but it will always be on the minds of people when something like this happens.

However, I have seen some people already start trying to connect Ireland to this specific situation. No facts, sources or reports, they just take this story as an attempt to try and bash Ireland even more. These individuals apparently have a monthly quota to meet so they will go to the bottom of the barrel to do so. Now I am not saying this thread or the OP is doing that, not at all. I saw one member already make an off topic post in another thread trying to connect Ireland to it and there was one individual on Twitter that went on a big rant about Ireland and this latest story. Even started convincing others that Ireland was indeed the center of the story. Until I hear otherwise, this is a NFL issue and has nothing to do with Ireland or the Miami Dolphins.
    If I implied in my original post that Jeff Ireland was being accused of illegal activity I apologize. My only intent was to bring the fact that Ireland was tangentially mentioned in the article to the attention of the message board.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    If I implied in my original post that Jeff Ireland was being accused of illegal activity I apologize. My only intent was to bring the fact that Ireland was tangentially mentioned in the article to the attention of the message board.
    No need to apologize, I even mentioned that you and this thread are not the type of people I am talking about.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    And? Got much of an Agenda?

Amusingly his mother ended up causing problems in his career anyway, way to go Dez, show you deserve better than questions like that.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post

I am confident in predicting there is more then a couple that will try and connect the Dolphins to this. It was unfortunate what happened in 2010 but I am sure the front office is very well versed in the laws regarding the questioning of someones sexuality. Still, some people will jump to the wrong conclusion.
    Quote Quote