Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 87

Thread: Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

  1. -1
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,180
    vCash:
    5146
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1

    GM Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mbine/1951857/

    FYI: Jeff Ireland was mentioned today in a story by Christine Brennan in USA Today discussing alleged illegal interview practices by NFL teams. The quote follows:

    "This isn't the first time an NFL team has done something ridiculous at the combine. In 2010, Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland asked Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. When that got out, it didn't go over very well either. (Bryant was selected 24th overall by the Dallas Cowboys.)"
    Last edited by z926538; 02-28-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Fixing Link
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    traptses's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    828
    vCash:
    1859
    Loc:
    Albany, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO, these questions aren't real questions. I don't think anyone really cares if someone's mother is a prostitute, or if someone's into the same sex. I think it's more to see how the player reacts to these questions, and how they would react when taunted on the field
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    SkapePhin's Avatar
    Brady Slayer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2002
    Posts:
    19,475
    vCash:
    23688
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Ireland mentioned in USA Today story on alleged NFL illegal interview practices

    I honestly think the Dez story was overblown. I completely think that was a way to measure his attitude.

    Now, asking about sexuality is expressly forbidden by the law.
    FIRE FAILBIN
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    21,036
    vCash:
    44124
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Christine Brennan. Keep grinding that ax.

    I think these questions are getting asked because losing and ****ing up gets you fired in this league in a blink of an eye. Teams are asking these questions that appear over the top, but in the team's mind it is due diligence. Perhaps the teams need to take a step back and put it in perspective. However, I do not think they are asking these questions out of ignorance, it is simply they want to get a pick right.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,180
    vCash:
    5146
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by traptses View Post
    IMO, these questions aren't real questions. I don't think anyone really cares if someone's mother is a prostitute, or if someone's into the same sex. I think it's more to see how the player reacts to these questions, and how they would react when taunted on the field
    Irregardless of the motive of the questions, both the league offices and the NFL player union are in complete agreement that all national, state and local employment laws must be followed by the teams. If you have ever been in a position where you have interviewed a potential employee, you are made aware by HR that there are certain questions you can not ask because they are against the law to ask. Questions regarding sexual orientation are on that list.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Nublar7's Avatar
    FinHeaven Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2003
    Posts:
    35,141
    vCash:
    129350
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    I don't mind articles mentioning the 2010 Bryant/Ireland situation as a relation to what apparently happened at this year's combine. The Ireland situation happened, it was unfortunate, but it will always be on the minds of people when something like this happens.

    However, I have seen some people already start trying to connect Ireland to this specific situation. No facts, sources or reports, they just take this story as an attempt to try and bash Ireland even more. These individuals apparently have a monthly quota to meet so they will go to the bottom of the barrel to do so. Now I am not saying this thread or the OP is doing that, not at all. I saw one member already make an off topic post in another thread trying to connect Ireland to it and there was one individual on Twitter that went on a big rant about Ireland and this latest story. Even started convincing others that Ireland was indeed the center of the story. Until I hear otherwise, this is a NFL issue and has nothing to do with Ireland or the Miami Dolphins.

    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Rookie

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,180
    vCash:
    5146
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I don't mind articles mentioning the 2010 Bryant/Ireland situation as a relation to what apparently happened at this year's combine. The Ireland situation happened, it was unfortunate, but it will always be on the minds of people when something like this happens.

    However, I have seen some people already start trying to connect Ireland to this specific situation. No facts, sources or reports, they just take this story as an attempt to try and bash Ireland even more. These individuals apparently have a monthly quota to meet so they will go to the bottom of the barrel to do so. Now I am not saying this thread or the OP is doing that, not at all. I saw one member already make an off topic post in another thread trying to connect Ireland to it and there was one individual on Twitter that went on a big rant about Ireland and this latest story. Even started convincing others that Ireland was indeed the center of the story. Until I hear otherwise, this is a NFL issue and has nothing to do with Ireland or the Miami Dolphins.
    If I implied in my original post that Jeff Ireland was being accused of illegal activity I apologize. My only intent was to bring the fact that Ireland was tangentially mentioned in the article to the attention of the message board.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Nublar7's Avatar
    FinHeaven Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2003
    Posts:
    35,141
    vCash:
    129350
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    If I implied in my original post that Jeff Ireland was being accused of illegal activity I apologize. My only intent was to bring the fact that Ireland was tangentially mentioned in the article to the attention of the message board.
    No need to apologize, I even mentioned that you and this thread are not the type of people I am talking about.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    uk_dolfan's Avatar
    Super Donator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2012
    Posts:
    7,094
    vCash:
    16164
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    And? Got much of an Agenda?

    Amusingly his mother ended up causing problems in his career anyway, way to go Dez, show you deserve better than questions like that.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    MadDog 88's Avatar
    Teddy Westside

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    13,104
    vCash:
    28062
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I don't mind articles mentioning the 2010 Bryant/Ireland situation as a relation to what apparently happened at this year's combine. The Ireland situation happened, it was unfortunate, but it will always be on the minds of people when something like this happens.

    However, I have seen some people already start trying to connect Ireland to this specific situation. No facts, sources or reports, they just take this story as an attempt to try and bash Ireland even more. These individuals apparently have a monthly quota to meet so they will go to the bottom of the barrel to do so. Now I am not saying this thread or the OP is doing that, not at all. I saw one member already make an off topic post in another thread trying to connect Ireland to it and there was one individual on Twitter that went on a big rant about Ireland and this latest story. Even started convincing others that Ireland was indeed the center of the story. Until I hear otherwise, this is a NFL issue and has nothing to do with Ireland or the Miami Dolphins.
    I am confident in predicting there is more then a couple that will try and connect the Dolphins to this. It was unfortunate what happened in 2010 but I am sure the front office is very well versed in the laws regarding the questioning of someones sexuality. Still, some people will jump to the wrong conclusion.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
  3. UD's Mallett Piece mentioned in interview by Lombardi
    By Conuficus in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
  5. Daunte practices today
    By cpeppfan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •