Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Winds I: Cordarrelle Patterson

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Draft Winds I: Cordarrelle Patterson

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/d...,3125123.story

A popular feature on my blog in recent years has been the Draft Winds feature that came out of the Dolphins trip to London in 2007. There, I met Simon Clancy, who mentioned his work as a draftnik. I thought it would be interesting to show how flat the world is now that a draftnik in London can show off his expertise. He brought in compatriots at Universal Draft, Chris Kouffman and Richard Lines. Together, they wrote an in-depth, weekly blog on the draft. This year, real life (and the, ahem, pay scale) means Chris is doing the heavy lifting. As you see from his work on Cordarrelle Patterson, this is as thorough a look as you'll find on a draft prospect, complete with painstaking background, story and video research. Without further introduction, let's get to it ...

--Dave Hyde
    Enjoy.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aviano, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice write up Chris. You somewhat answered the question I have about his intelligence. He may not be able to explain his route options to Joe in 15 minutes but does he have the ability to pick up a complicated offense over the course of a season or will he struggle the way Egnew has?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    Nice write up Chris. You somewhat answered the question I have about his intelligence. He may not be able to explain his route options to Joe in 15 minutes but does he have the ability to pick up a complicated offense over the course of a season or will he struggle the way Egnew has?
    You could argue that Michael Egnew struggled because he played almost an entirely different position at Missouri than he's playing in the NFL.

Cordarrelle Patterson played the same position at Tennessee he'll play in the NFL. Well, not precisely the same but you get the point. And he didn't just run a bunch of straight line-ish verticals like you see in some of these spreads. He learned that playbook in less time than any other newcomer on that offense, to where he was given a wide range of plays to execute...between end-arounds, jet sweeps, decoy sweeps and end-arounds, option passes, screen sweeps, fade patterns, back shoulder, fade stops, slant routes, drags, dig routes, corner routes, post routes, bang-8's, shake routes, out routes, out-and-ups, seam routes, curls...a nice range, overall.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You clearly haven't done any research and are wrong about everything.
    I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm going to read this later when I can really sit down and digest it, whether I agree or disagree I'm happy to see you guys doing these articles again.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xXwarXx View Post
    I'm going to read this later when I can really sit down and digest it, whether I agree or disagree I'm happy to see you guys doing these articles again.
    There's a section of it that I already know you're going to disagree with.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1st Team All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well done again CK. Makes this time of year easier to handle.
    Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't think as a prospect pattersons on the same level as dez bryant when he came out especially in the red zone as a win option but that was a good read...and i think the reason given for why miami won't touch him with that top pick makes perfect sense...the whiteboard with philbin and explaining and executing option routes...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i don't think as a prospect pattersons on the same level as dez bryant when he came out especially in the red zone as a win option but that was a good read...and i think the reason given for why miami won't touch him with that top pick makes perfect sense...the whiteboard with philbin and explaining and executing option routes...
    As far as the comparison with Dez Bryant goes, it's a give and take. He's not the red zone option Bryant was. That's very true. But Dez Bryant isn't the pure vertical threat that Patterson is, either. Patterson truly does have Mike Wallace's pure long speed. And at 6'2" and 216 lbs. as well muscled and strong as Patterson is, he'll scare the bajesus out of defenses deep in a way that Bryant's 4.50 to 4.55 speed won't.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    As far as the comparison with Dez Bryant goes, it's a give and take. He's not the red zone option Bryant was. That's very true. But Dez Bryant isn't the pure vertical threat that Patterson is, either. Patterson truly does have Mike Wallace's pure long speed. And at 6'2" and 216 lbs. as well muscled and strong as Patterson is, he'll scare the bajesus out of defenses deep in a way that Bryant's 4.50 to 4.55 speed won't.
    bryants physicality scares the bajesus out of nfl dbs...and he;s as exlposive as any wr in football...he plucks the football clean for such a physical force...any issue that kid has ever had has been with himself...we're talking hall of famer if he would just dedicate himself to the game...he's murderin the red zone and he whoops about any db physically down the field...treats em like step children on any 50/50 ball...

one things for sure though i can't talk about upside and what a guy will be in a couple years like a mingo or a lane johnson and leave out patterson...the talent is undeniable...the route running imo is not on the keenan allen level...but what it always comes down to for me with miami is does this kid fit an option route system and does he play as smart as he needs to in this o...and to that i say no
    Quote Quote