Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Hartline and Dolphins near deal....

1. -301
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
    Well in the end you're right, Hartline hasnt been offered more than 7 per.
    If we pay $6.5 or even $6 then Ireland must believe he'll do better than that on the open market, my guess is Rosenhaus is pulling a fast one over Ireland though.
    Quote Quote  

2. -302
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Maybe, but I didn't think Hartline had a hope in hell of getting offered more than $7 mill either (and I was one of of the few who thought Hartline would do better than most people expected in FA) so who knows what the wonderful wacky world of free agency will bring.
    I honestly wouldn't mind Hartline at 4 million though it's still overpaying him but what ever. The guy is not a 1 or 2, he's still a 3 at best for any playoff team in the NFL. And he should be paid like a third option.
    Quote Quote  

3. -303
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlared View Post
    6 million for a guy who can easily be replaced through the draft is a mistake. and signing wallace and hartline would pretty much eliminate us from going WR early in the draft. knowing jeff ireland, he probably thinks wallace and hartline is a great combination and doesn't think there is need to go WR in the first 2 rounds. IMO signing hartline, especially for 6 mil, is a big mistake.
    IMO the $6M isn't just about ability and replace-ability. It's about trying to keep continuity during your young Franchise QB's biggest growth years. It's about keeping his favorite target. It's about locker room chemistry. It's about managing egos. It's about intangibles. And it's about his overall growth in his craft. While TDs are always brought to attention, Hartline's yardage and catches have grown just as an improving WR should during critical growth years. For all that he's not, Hartline does bring a lot to the table. And Ireland is rewarding one of his own guys.

His skill is worth $4M~$4.5M, his intangibles earn him the $1.5M - $2M premium.

Also, every time you let a player walk, you lose a draft pick. This was a move to make sure we don't create more holes when we obviously need to fill many.

Peyton Manning played very well last year considering his health and situation. But IMO, he was over paid. For me, in today's game, $20M/year means you are playing an elite level and should have a Super Bowl during that time. Peyton had an elite statistical year, but watching the games you could see he is not the player he once was. The $20M he was payed last year was about who he was as a Franchise icon and all of his intangibles. $20M bought the Peyton product, not the Peyton who won the Super Bowl.

I'm really curious to see Aaron Rodger's new contract. It's reported it will set the bar for many years to come. That's a very bold statement, but one he is deserving.

And yes, I don't think Flacco's stats are deserving of his contract. But you have to admit he is the new face of the Franchise with Ray taking a bow. And Flacco has done on the field what very few have done at this stage in their careers. It may not be pretty, but Flacco IS that important to the Ravens and he IS a perfect fit for them. Factor in his career performance in the playoffs and that shiny new Lombardi Trophy he delivered and you can see where his intangibles earned him $20M.
    Quote Quote  

4. -304
    Sur XIII

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orange County CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think there were many comments about Hartline as there were about Welker when he was here. Welker isn't a true #1 or true #2 etc. etc. He then hooks up with Brady and plays lights out. Was it Welker or the Quarterbacks/System he was in at that time? I think the same is true of Hartline. Put Hartline in the right situation and he will play lights out!
    Quote Quote  

5. -305
    Who pissed in your kool aide?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Why would we wait and pay market value when we can extend him now at a pretty nice discount? Thats the scenario that played out with Hartline, we could have extended him this time last year for $3.5-4 mill, probably at fewer years and much less guaranteed money, by waiting we just cost ourselves a bunch of money. Resigning, restructuring and extending the right guys in my mind is just as important as who you draft and which free agents you sign and Ireland has done pretty much nothing in this regard.

Just pay him now and get it over with or I guarantee we're going to see similar threads like this popping up this time next year about Jones: "He's good but is he really $11 mill a year good?"
    Your argument is non existent. The kid came into the season grossly under weight and straight off an excruciating appendectomy, Ireland and the coaches had no idea how well he was going to perform. He wasn't the clear cut guy to gain the most targets going into week 1, I for one thought Davone Bess would be the clear cut guy. Hartline proved them wrong and there was no telling he'd pull off 1,000 yards after the crap he went through. You can't blame Ireland for not being Nostradamus and extending him mid-season son.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see."
    Quote Quote  

6. -306
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think Hartline is worth 6+. Maybe 4. We will over pay because we need help at WR so bad
    Quote Quote  

7. -307
    Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O Town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really think that Ireland is scared he wont get Wallace, and that if he doesn't want Jennings then would be forced to trust 2 rookies to be GREAT to keep his job, at least this way he keeps hartline and if the rookies do't produce immediately he has a shot of keeping his job, Im still not a fan of the price tag though
    Follow me on Twitter.. @DSEmpire_BA

For My work http://dynastysportsempire.com/author/brent-antonio/
    Quote Quote  

8. -308
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brian Hartline - WR - Dolphins

The Dolphins' contract with free agent Brian Hartline is expected to pay him "just under" $7 million a year.

It's a pricey sum for an average, No. 2-caliber receiver, but Miami is loaded with salary cap space and Hartline otherwise would've hit the market as a top-five or six wideout. An announcement of the deal appears to be imminent.

Source: NFL.com
    Mar 6 - 1:46 PM
    Quote Quote  

9. -309
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well...get the pitchforks ready
    Quote Quote  

10. -310
    Rookie