Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wondering why so many think Lamar Miller is a lock to start?

1. -1
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks

NOT SO FAST Wondering why so many think Lamar Miller is a lock to start?

I'm not saying that he didn't look impressive at times this past season. He did. I'm not even saying that he shouldn't start this year. What I'm saying is that Daniel Thomas had more carries, more yards, and more Touchdowns last year than Miller did. Lets compare. Daniel Thomas had 91 carries for 325 yards and 4 Touchdowns. Lamar Miller had 51 carries for 250 yards and 1 Touchdown. Granted Miller had less fumbles and more yards per carry. I'm just not sure why people think Miller is a lock to start. I don't think he is a lock at all. If I was a bettin man I would think that they would pretty much be splitting carries next year ( assuming we don't sign or draft someone better ). So tell me. Why is Miller such a lock? Just wondering
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Daniel Thomas is a big man who tries to run like he's a 175 lbs, guy is so scared of contact is ridiculous. Besides, miller has the skill set, patience and explosion you want in this offense.

My feeling was that Thomas was getting carries last year because they were trying to force him into being the rb Ireland was hoping he drafted. He clearly isnt. I won't be surprised if Jonas gray takes over daniels carries in all honesty.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wheatland, WY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gears of War tagPlaystation LogoCam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo
    I want to see what Gray can bring to the running game. Thomas is a big let down IMO for a rb we traded up for.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ummm...Because Bush will probably not be back and Daniels can't stay on the field (and has a slight case of the "sucks")
    "May the acorns rest in peace..."
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "the sucks " haha. I honestly like Miller more but I think Thomas is overly hated on FinHeaven. He has not been that bad. He's battled some injuries and I think that has slowed his progress . I have not given up on him yet. I hopes he shows us something this year.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thomas can't hold onto the football, he gets 1.5 less yards per carry and he can't stay healthy.

Lamar Miller is the future of this team at running back. Thomas will likely get cut.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Just trust me

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Centreville Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    Thomas can't hold onto the football, he gets 1.5 less yards per carry and he can't stay healthy.

Lamar Miller is the future of this team at running back. Thomas will likely get cut.
    I doubt Thomas gets cut, especially if we don't hold on to Bush. It's also way to early to start claiming Miller as " the future " ......but I hope you're right none the less.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I should add that I'm expecting them to do what Ireland does and grab someone who he can ride for 2 years. Mike Goodson, Chris Ivory, that type of guy. Then you cut D Thomas, bring in Jonas Gray as your #3. Miller and Goodson split carried 60/40, then youve got Jonas Gray spelling any tired/injured guy.

I wouldn't hate that running back group to be honest.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Miller has a handful of really nice skills and they fool people into believing he'll suddenly put it all together. I remember plenty of daft comparisons a couple of years ago, when Miller was entering his first season as full time starter for the Canes. Posters on Miami message boards wanted to believe he was a combination of O.J. Anderson, Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis. By the end of the season many of those same posters wanted Miller to leave early, replaced by a markedly superior player in Duke Johnson.

I suspect the same trend will attach to Dolphin fans this year. They'll want to believe Miller will get small and dart through openings north and south but with none of the hesitation of Reggie Bush. And that will unfold on occasion. But then the weaknesses show up, the ones that caused him to be redshirted as a freshman, drop to the 4th round, and then rarely play as a rookie. It always amuses me when trends like that are ignored. O.J. Anderson was a phenom as a rookie, likewise James and Portis. I don't think any of them gained fewer than 1500 yards rushing. Meanwhile, Miller rarely was trusted with the ball last year other than friendly situations. But we can make the happy 40% subjective adjustment and compare him to those guys. No problem.

Dumb players will let you down. I remember standing on the sideline at USC practices, hearing Marv Goux mutter that phrase time and again, varying it slightly blended with profanity. But the theme was always the same, and it works.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You see this constantly in the NFL. Teams move on from veterans in hopes and expectations that the next guy in line will step up. That's one of the great things about the NFL. Lamar is being given this opportunity to showcase what he's got, and Miami is willing to give him that chance. He obviously showed something in year one that the staff liked, and that skill made Bush expendable (since it looks like he won't be back).

I think the biggest positive about Miller was his ability to move north and south while still making people miss. He didn't dance around. He got the ball and ran the damn thing.

I also think we can expect a lot from Jonas Gray. The team was so confident in Gray as a player that they signed him to a two-year deal in order to give him the entire 2012 season to rehab his knee and get his health back. I can't think of another time where a player was given that opportunity. He's not a guy a lot of people are counting on or talking about, but I really do think he has the potential to be a surprise when training camp opens.

With the dozen or so picks Miami has in the draft, one of those will probably be used on a running back. There's no reason not to select a running back in the later rounds.

I wouldn't call Miller a "lock to start," though given the attitude of the team towards Bush, all signs point to Miller being the guy in 2013.
    Quote Quote