Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interest in Eric Winston makes sense for Dolphins

1. -1
    1st Team All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

FA Interest in Eric Winston makes sense for Dolphins

Armando, but.....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...-dolphins.html

Excerpt:

When Eric Winston was released by the Houston Texans last year he visited the Dolphins and that made sense because the club was looking for a good right tackle to replace Turnstile Colombo. Ultimately Winston didn't sign with the Dolphins because, in my opinion, his price was too high for the team and the Chiefs paid him closer to what he was looking for.
    But that flirtation is important because he we are, one year later, and once again Eric Winston is looking for a team and once again the Dolphins are seemingly in the market for a starting right tackle.
    Remember that I presented several scenarios by which the Dolphins could address their right tackle need in the coming days and weeks in a previous post. I say right tackle, because if one assumes Jonathan Martin moves to left tackle then that creates a need at RT.
    Well, we can now add Winston as a possible solution.
    And all this is good for Miami.
    Understand that Winston was cut by the Chiefs because of money and that team's grand opportunity to upgrade the offensive line while paying less for the opportunity. The Chiefs signed Branden Albert to their franchise tag this year and can draft an outstanding tackle prospect with their first overall pick. So cutting Winston saved $3.5 million in cap space and over $5.5 million in actual cash for the franchise that can turn around and use its first pick on a very, very good, younger, cheaper player.
    But it's not as if Winston, 29, played poorly last year. He yielded three sacks the entire season and was rated the No. 9 right tackle in the NFL by profootballfocus.com.
    That makes him a top 10 NFL right tackle.
    Considering that there is a glut of right tackles about to hit the market -- including New England's Sebastian Vollmer and Minnesota's Phil Loadholt -- I'm not certain Winston is going to break the bank. Yes, he will have suitors. There is a report that the Eagles have interest in him.
    But break the bank?
    Don't see it.
    Add to that the fact the Dolphins are in a much better salary cap situation now than last year, and it can be assumed they can get closer to signing Winston this year than last year if they wish.
    I see that as the two sides being able to move closer to each other if they like. Financially, the addition of the former University of Miami standout to the Dolphins roster can make sense. It obviously makes sense from a mutual need standpoint.
    The remaining question is if it makes sense from a scheme standpoint.
    I think it does. Remember the Dolphins use primarily a zone blocking scheme up front. That's exactly the type of approach the Houston Texans use and used while Winston was there and the first six years of his career.
    It makes sense for the Dolphins to at least show interest in Winston -- again.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And having his brother as a dolphins scout also helps some. Im sure they are thinking about bringing him in again for a look/see....Hopefully he is brought in at the right price,and if he has a clean bill of health.
    ANGELOfinsFAN
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It helps the Dolphins in 2 ways. 1, The possiility of adding Winston and 2) Even if they don't the negotiations with the other glut of RT's out there should be a bit smoother to negotiate with now with another 1 added to the mix
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    all information i've read on this notes that he's best suited for the RT position in the ZBS. Perfect fit in my opinion. Says when he played that role for Hou in '11 he was the best rated T in the game, and last season was the 9th rated T while playing for Chiefs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...t-eric-winston

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3648/eric-winston

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ackles/page/33
    Brent Grimes: I have never been a free agent. I picked Miami because they are building something great here and I want to be a part of it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Go sign this guy for something around $4-5M and plug and play at RT. BOOM! Draft Cooper.

Martin, Incog, Pouncey, Cooper, Winston...Doesnt look too bad.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foozool13 View Post
    Go sign this guy for something around $4-5M and plug and play at RT. BOOM! Draft Cooper.

That would be ideal
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Broward, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

actually that line does look pretty good (if Winston checks out OK medically).
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't really care where pff rates a guy cause there's enough holes in that stuff but only 3 sacks over 16 games that's pretty solid...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Who pissed in your kool aide?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo

Incognito needs to have his contract restructured under that scenario than, too much of the cap would be invested in the offensive line. I am all for singing Winston, especially at $5m, but Incognito is a significantly inferior player to Winston, and would be making near equally as much as him, at a less important position.

Edit: Apologies, I thought Incognito was making somewhere in the $5m column and just looked it up, seeing he made $3.3m.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see."
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I hope we sign him. Good player, local ties, fits the scheme, fills a position of need.
    Quote Quote