Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Linebackers in this year's draft

1. -1
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks

Linebackers in this year's draft

I know most of us have been concentrating on getting playmakers (WR, TE, DE, CB) or olineman early in the draft but we also need to have an eye to the future. Take a look at our linebacker situation heading into 2014.

SLB Koa Misi will be an UFA.
    MLB Karlos Dansby will be 32 towards the end of this season. 2014 is the final year of his deal & he has a cap number of $13.45M; if he's cut before his workout bonus is due we save $4.85M.
    WLB Kevin Burnett will be 31 at the end of this season. 2014 is the final year of his deal & he has a cap number of $8.1M; if he's cut before his workout bonus is due we save $3.3M.

So it's very possible, almost probable, that we will have three new starting LBs in the 2014 & we don't have any talent outside of our starters. I would not be surprised if one of our top 5 selections (3rd round or higher) is used on a LB & that we come out of this draft with two linebackers.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Combine superstar who I would like at the right spot - 3b/4 - to eventually replace Burnett. Like him a lot at WOLB.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm right there with you. LB is a position no one wants to look at.
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Andre Williams - RB- Boston College
    6. Calvin Barnett - DT- Oklahoma State
    7. Seantrel Henderson - OT- Miami

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Combine superstar who I would like at the right spot - 3b/4 - to eventually replace Burnett. Like him a lot at WOLB.

Gooden looks pretty good. I like Reddick as well.

Btw, i'm thinking Kiko won't be there in the 7th after looking at your mock again
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great OP SMadison29. I've done the same analysis and come to the same conclusion, we will rebuild our LB corps next year. I do think we being some back,. Dansby and Burnett will surely be interested in restructuring.

Also Misi's off the field issue isn't helping his cause any. But he will likely return.

I think we will grab a developmental LB in the mid to late rounds. I like Michael Mauti in the 5th. Kid can play but will need to be healthy, so I can see him being stashed on IR for a year and soaking up tape. Lots of other developmental guys out there too, including guys like Chase Thomas who tested poorly but have good tape against good competition.

But, next year we will be looking for LB's, so its crucial we get the front 4 settled this year and don't dig too deep of a hole in the secondary. This team is currently built around a strong defensive front 7. Ireland will not let that change.

So 2014 will be the year of the LB.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We are in a similar spot at defensive tackle with Starks and Solai signed through 2013. It would not surprised me, depending on how free agency goes, to see a linebacker or defensive tackle picked higher than fans might expect.

What would the team do if Jarvis Jones fell to #12? He's a linebacker who can rush the passer and Miami needs at least one more pass rusher. More likely, I could see maybe Khaseem Greene from Boston College in R2. He could be an ideal weakside linebacker and I love the way he closes on the ball. He's also good at stripping the ball. Chase Thomas's stock seems to be falling after the combine, but he's a really versatile player with quick reactions. I'd love to see him with the Dolphins in R3.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gerald Hodges and Michael Mauti from Penn State aka "Linebacker U" in the 3rd-5th.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well exactly what I said was gonna happen happened, just a year sooner than I expected. We should still be in the market for a SLB to replace Misi next year, or the way things are going this year.
    Quote Quote