Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contracts explode in 2014??

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Contracts explode in 2014??

I'm trying to understand the point of this. Doesn't this just mean we have to cut a bunch of people after next season? Or try and get everyone to restructure?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-low-in-2013/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    London
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I assume the point is for Ireland to maintain maximum flexibility for signing additional FAs. I think you can carry forward a certain amount of unused cap space as well but I'm not sure. Leaving unused cap space this year which you cannot carry forward next year when we start taking significant cap hits should obviously be avoided - I'm hoping Ireland and our cap strategist are being responsible, but the structure of these contracts does slightly worry me.
    Last edited by hilslo; 03-14-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The point is telling. Your GM needs to put together buzz. New stadium and such. Only way to get a bunch of Buzz players is to defer cap hits.

What does he care he succeeds or is fired and someone else's mess to clean up.

"When we play in Buffalo, our fans come to support us, and they get beat up". "When we play them in Miami, the Buffalo fans come down here and beat up our fans in our own stadium" - Bryan Cox
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Contracts explode in 2014??

Moore will probably be traded after this year. Some of the cap will be rolled over, and expect less FA signings next year. But the team should be fine in 2014, assuming the draftees are any good, because there will be a ton of low paid young players on their first contracts to compensate for the higher paid players
    FIRE FAILBIN

Joe Philbin, PowerPoint Guru (Not Head Coach Material)
    Philbin ... put it all together in a PowerPoint presentation. Everything about that presentation had to be perfect.

If any PowerPoint slide had a spelling or grammar mistake, any typo, any scheme error, that was my responsibility, just like a teacher, Philbin said.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well the article doesn't point out that they still have a bunch of cap space left. Floria should have waited until after the free agency period and the draft to make a comment about their future cap issues. He looks for any angle to bash this team. Kinda funny.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    League Dominator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Pete Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We got 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. Patterson, Marshall, Incognito will all be cap hits. Matt Moore will be traded. It does seem strange but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
    Jets suck, Bills suck, Patriots suck.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyh3034 View Post
    Well the article doesn't point out that they still have a bunch of cap space left. Floria should have waited until after the free agency period and the draft to make a comment about their future cap issues. He looks for any angle to bash this team. Kinda funny.
    Actually it's not funny at all. He doesn't do this with any other team. In his last three posts about the Dolphins, he mentions "in an effort to create buzz". Hate to break it to you Gloria, but virtually every team with a losing season has to create buzz to show their fan base/future season ticket holders that they're not the same team as the prior year. This guy is a pure clown.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    these guys have a plan right?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Relax. Contracts can be re-done. They are young players so money can be moved around. It DOES so that this draft is vital so we can get a lot of players that are cheap labor.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The truth is out there.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Dolphins had a ton of cap space before these signings and remember that we can carry unused cap space over. Now, it is possible that the team is going to keep spending to the point of a big problem, but the fact that we balked at what Keller wanted leads me to believe that this won't be the case. We can stay in very, very good cap shape if we restrict our remaining offseason spending to a tackle and bargain bin contracts. Remember that we can still cut Dimitri Patterson with no cap hit for a big chunk of coin, and axing Dan Carpenter frees up a bunch of money, too.

Don't panic about the cap yet, our only big splurge was Mike Wallace. The linebacker moves actually save us a little bit of money.

Now, if we go out there and hand out another 30 million in guaranteed money to FAs, that's when you want to panic.

This sig in memory of 'Crazylegs' Elroy Hirsch. Go. Packers.
    Quote Quote