View Poll Results: Movin' on Up (public)?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 33.33%
  • Nay

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With our GM in Mind (a touching story)

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks

With our GM in Mind (a touching story)

Not really, but I was thinking about how Ireland misses a lot more than he hits in the 2nd and 3rd, and while I hope/wish/pray that he'll buck this trend, conventional wisdom would tell us that we've seen his spots, and they aren't changing.

Also, we've added a fair number of pieces during this FA period, but we're in a position where he (Ireland) and we (people with Miami's best interest in mind) need him to draft some starters. Again, understanding what we have at GM, we should HOPE that he packages the 42nd and 54th picks to move up in the 19-22 range (our two 2nd's have a chart value total of 840 - 10 less than the 20th pick, 40 more than the 21st) and then packages the 77th and 82nd pick to move into the 50-53 range (two 3rd's would come in at 285 - 5 less than the 51, 5 more than the 52nd).

In a perfect world, we'd have an GM in the mold of Ozzie Newsome, but we don't. If we're honest with ourselves, Ireland might hit on one of the two 2nd's, and he might hit on one of the two 3rd's. And when I say hit, I mean get solid value. I don't mean hit a HR. We might as well hope he increases his chances of success by moving up. Also, based on the history of success by draft position, moving into the Top 40 is a good bet in general - regardless of whether or not your GM sucks in the 2nd.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know if rule prohibits Miami from trading away the 2nd rounder they acquired from the Colts, but he may only be able to trade Miami's original 2nd rounder.

Even if he's able to, the first thing that would enter my head would be asking who in the hell he's trading up for..... he has a bad habit of trading up for RB's who aren't even the best available at their position while the better backs are left to contribute elsewhere.

If I were going to trade up in this draft, it would be up to around #5 or #6 to take Dee Milliner. I wouldn't want to trade up into the mid 20's or later because you're essentially choosing from the same talent pool at #42.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trade up for Milliner or stay put at #12 and make the selection would be how I would go about it. There's going to be a pro-bowl caliber player there at #12.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks

Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: With our GM in Mind (a touching story)

Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I don't know if rule prohibits Miami from trading away the 2nd rounder they acquired from the Colts, but he may only be able to trade Miami's original 2nd rounder.

Even if he's able to, the first thing that would enter my head would be asking who in the hell he's trading up for..... he has a bad habit of trading up for RB's who aren't even the best available at their position while the better backs are left to contribute elsewhere.

If I were going to trade up in this draft, it would be up to around #5 or #6 to take Dee Milliner. I wouldn't want to trade up into the mid 20's or later because you're essentially choosing from the same talent pool at #42.
    Do you think Milliner would be worth trading up for? He is good but it would be very costly. Is he dramatically better than Rhodes or marginally?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Do you think Milliner would be worth trading up for? He is good but it would be very costly. Is he dramatically better than Rhodes or marginally?

Absolutely, especially for Miami. Right now their biggest need is CB, and Milliner is head of the class by a substantial margin in my estimation. If Miami could trade up to #5 or so, it would likely only cost #12 + #42.... and might even get a 4th rounder back to balance out the trade.

You've solidified one of your CB spots with an elite player, and still have three more picks in the top 96. Not to mention the potential 4th rounder you may get back in return, also potentially another 4th round compensatory pick that's going to be announced in the next couple of days as to whether or not Miami gets it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another route may be to trade a 2014 1st rounder coupled with #42. You have two picks in the top 12 this year, and lose a 1st rounder next year. Which shouldn't mean much if you feel like that pick is going to be #25 or later anyway. This is the route I'd try to make happen even if I had to throw in an extra 4th rounder or so this year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks

Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: With our GM in Mind (a touching story)

Absolutely, especially for Miami. Right now their biggest need is CB, and Milliner is head of the class by a substantial margin in my estimation. If Miami could trade up to #5 or so, it would likely only cost #12 + #42.... and might even get a 4th rounder back to balance out the trade.

You've solidified one of your CB spots with an elite player, and still have three more picks in the top 96. Not to mention the potential 4th rounder you may get back in return, also potentially another 4th round compensatory pick that's going to be announced in the next couple of days as to whether or not Miami gets it.
    I thought you might say that, I always liked him but never thought he was elite but then in the championship game against Eifert... he was great.

The nice thing about adding two recievers is that it gives us a bit of flexibilty in round two and three. I would certainly trade up but my worry is that you may need to be above both the Eagles and Lions and that is very high.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

That can't be right? Is that all it would cost? Either-way they likely would have to move up to #4 just ahead of Detroit @#5
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember in 2000 when the Ravens selected Jamal Lewis with the #5 overall pick, and traded back up to #10 from #15 to select Travis Taylor. It only cost them the #15 pick + #45 pick.

This would be a case very similar in value/cost.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    I thought you might say that, I always liked him but never thought he was elite but then in the championship game against Eifert... he was great.

The nice thing about adding two recievers is that it gives us a flexibilty in round two and three. I would certainly trade up but my worry is that you may need to be above both the Eagles and Lions and that is very high.

He was elite long before Eifert ever had to deal with him. You just need to have your package ready in case he makes it to #5 or so. If he comes off the board in the top 3 or 4, then just sit tight and make your selection at #12.
    Quote Quote