Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp

1. -1
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp

Hidden in a bunch of crap in an Armando article was this interesting tidbit:

The club is also pleasantly surprised and excited about what Josh Kaddu might be able to do as a pass-rusher. Although Kaddu was a rookie linebacker last season and played in only four games, almost exclusively on special teams, he was apparently very active as a pass-rusher in practice.

Very active in practice can be defined as Miami’s tackles had trouble with the kid.

So the Dolphins have asked the 242-pounder to gain 10 pounds of muscle this offseason and count on getting the opportunity to earn snaps as a pass-rusher in the fall.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/1...ee-agents.html

Kaddu is a full 6'3, has 33 and 3/8th inch arms and posted bests of 34 inches in the vertical and 10'03" in the broad jump but was limited through the whole lead up to the draft with hamstring injuries. I'll leave others who looked at his tape to chime more in on this (my impression of him from the preseason was that he was sort of stiff and staightlineish, but with some explosiveness), but here's a scouting report from last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Football Weekly
    Last name is pronounced “kah-DOO.” Also played basketball and ran track as a California prep. Redshirt was pulled midway through 2008 and was credited with five tackles without any for loss or sacks. Managed 21-4-1 with one forced fumble in seven games (one start at “Sam”) before suffering a season-ending broken right foot against Washington. After sitting out ’10 spring practice, was cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol in early March 2010. In the fall, started all 13 games at the “Sam” LB spot and produced 32-6 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 with two pass breakups. Notched 50-9 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 with two pass breakups in 14 starts at the “Sam” linebacker in ’11. One of 16 OU “squad leaders.” Medically excluded from the Combine workout with a left hamstring injury.

Positives: Excellent size and length (long arms) with an athletic build. Fluid movement skills. Good range, pursuit effort and closing speed. Aggressive tackler. Flash striker. Has pass-rush potential. Has special-teams experience and mentality. Football smart. Solid personal and football character. Good work ethic. Has some upside.
    Negatives: Relatively slender, high-hipped and leggy — needs to continue filling out his narrow frame. Is not stout at the point of attack — lacks take-on strength, plays too tall and can be run at. Does not play strong-handed to disengage. Average read-and-react skills — still developing his instincts. Can be exploited in the pass game — limited zone awareness (untrained eyes) and too often loses positioning in man coverage.
    Summary: Longer than he is strong, Kaddu is a lean, athletic, still-developing strong-side linebacker who feasts on clear-path and pursuit production. Needs to hone his instincts and mature physically in order to reach his potential but should help on special teams. Views himself as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New
    Thanks / No Thanks

SHEESH

242 isn't enough? Well, hope he can get on the field more next year.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you can never have enough pass rushers.... go for it
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
    242 isn't enough? Well, hope he can get on the field more next year.
    Cameron Wake goes about 250 pounds, maybe a bit more (after coming out of the draft at 235 pounds or so). You can't be a complete target against the run, even as a nickel rush guy. Bruce Irvin came in to the league at 245 or so pounds and will continue to fill out. It's not like Kaddu is particularly rocked up or anything:

Also, I forgot to mention Kaddu had 6.5 sacks as a senior. Having not really watched any of his tape I can't speak to his pass rushing and whether that number is good, bad or mediocre considering his role. Good cut ups aren't particularly available of him on youtube, but if anyone finds any please post them.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good info Walrus...
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Cameron Wake goes about 250 pounds, maybe a bit more (after coming out of the draft at 235 pounds or so). You can't be a complete target against the run, even as a nickel rush guy. Bruce Irvin came in to the league at 245 or so pounds and will continue to fill out. It's not like Kaddu is particularly rocked up or anything:

Also, I forgot to mention Kaddu had 6.5 sacks as a senior. Having not really watched any of his tape I can't speak to his pass rushing and whether that number is good, bad or mediocre considering his role. Good cut ups aren't particularly available of him on youtube, but if anyone finds any please post them.
    They list Cam Wake at 258 and I believe it. I'm 235 at 6'3 and I had first row seats for Buffalo game last year.. he looks easily 20lbs heavier than me. I think Irvin's technique against the run is pretty bad aside from his size. He doesn't get inside hand position and could afford to lower his pads...especially at 245lbs...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    I hope he doesn't do the John Jerry weight gain plan!
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    good work tho Walrus, had no idea that he had 6.5 sacks his senior year.... That is more than Mingo and Ansah had last year................
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    tell him to drink a gallon of milk a day for about a month. He will gain solid weight (7-20 lbs) and will burn the fat he gained from it by the end of Mini Camp
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Meh. Somebody to keep an eye on, I guess.

Good find.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote