Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PETA Euthanized 90% of Animals Taken to Shelter

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

PETA Euthanized 90% of Animals Taken to Shelter

Animal rights charity PETA killed almost 90 per cent of dogs and cats placed in the care of the shelter at its Virginia headquarters last year, it has been revealed today.

The charity, well-known for attention grabbing publicity campaigns such as the 'I'd rather go naked' anti-fur campaign, euthanized 1,647 cats and dogs last year and only placed 19 in new homes according to the data submitted to the Virginia Department for Agriculture and Consumer Services.

PETA told Mail Online that the animals they take in at the center are 'unadoptable', however 89.4 per cent of pets is much higher than their own approximation that half of animals taken to shelters end up being euthanized.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-shelter.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is what it is. There are just too many cats and dogs to place all of them into good homes. The real leason here is get them spayed or neutered.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    It is what it is. There are just too many cats and dogs to place all of them into good homes. The real leason here is get them spayed or neutered.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know the fact that it's PETA is the point of the article, but what are they supposed to do? Force people to adopt their animals? Hold onto them indefinitely?

PETA gets a bad rep because of the crazies on the fringe who do things like harass President Obama over killing a fly, but they're a good group of people for the most part. Sadly the crazy super-hippies seem to be taking over more and more of it, though. Sucks that organizations are always judged by their extreme members...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    I know someone(the wife to a celebrity) who is on the board of one of the biggest animal rights groups in the country. About 1% of money they get actually goes to the shelters. Most goes to paying themselves big salaries, flying in private jets and setting up elaborate shindigs so they can flaunt their self importance. She's not a very good person.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I know the fact that it's PETA is the point of the article, but what are they supposed to do? Force people to adopt their animals? Hold onto them indefinitely?

PETA gets a bad rep because of the crazies on the fringe who do things like harass President Obama over killing a fly, but they're a good group of people for the most part. Sadly the crazy super-hippies seem to be taking over more and more of it, though. Sucks that organizations are always judged by their extreme members...
    Sorry, but it is blatantly hypocritical to run campaigns against even wearing silk because of silkworm abuse, but turn around and actively kill animals themselves... No excuse, can't have it both ways.
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    I know someone(the wife to a celebrity) who is on the board of one of the biggest animal rights groups in the country. About 1% of money they get actually goes to the shelters. Most goes to paying themselves big salaries, flying in private jets and setting up elaborate shindigs so they can flaunt their self importance. She's not a very good person.
    You know Lindsay Funke from Arrested Development?

Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Sorry, but it is blatantly hypocritical to run campaigns against even wearing silk because of silkworm abuse, but turn around and actively kill animals themselves... No excuse, can't have it both ways.
    OK, so what's the solution? They should hold onto thousands of animals indefinitely until someone adopts them...?

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    You know Lindsay Funke from Arrested Development?
    Most heart-breaking lesbian ever...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    OK, so what's the solution? They should hold onto thousands of animals indefinitely until someone adopts them...?

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Most heart-breaking lesbian ever...
    As we come to learn the more we live, there is no perfect solution to anything. Any solution will create new problems. It's like plugging one hole in a dam, and watching as many more leaks form as a result.

The problem I have with PETA is that they take an extreme stance on anything related to animals. If you are going to take that stance, you should live by that stance. As even PETA has found, their stance is impractical in some cases.

So, their options are...

1. Buy more land to create an animal sanctuary for these unadoptable pets so that they can live out their golden years in peace without being euthanized.

2. Don't run a pet shelter.

3. Stop using extremist tactics and adopting a more reasonable approach to animal advocacy.

4. Form alliances with "no kill" shelter across the country to take care of the animals that are not adopted.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    As we come to learn the more we live, there is no perfect solution to anything. Any solution will create new problems. It's like plugging one hole in a dam, and watching as many more leaks form as a result.

The problem I have with PETA is that they take an extreme stance on anything related to animals. If you are going to take that stance, you should live by that stance. As even PETA has found, their stance is impractical in some cases.

So, their options are...

1. Buy more land to create an animal sanctuary for these unadoptable pets so that they can live out their golden years in peace without being euthanized.

2. Don't run a pet shelter.

3. Stop using extremist tactics and adopting a more reasonable approach to animal advocacy.

4. Form alliances with "no kill" shelter across the country to take care of the animals that are not adopted.
    This plays into the issue where the entire organization is judged by the actions of the extreme members. I also feel like the intentions behind their actions are often times twisted by people because they are viewed as a left-wing organization, which for some reason is considered a bad thing.

I agree with most of your solutions. Funding is always an issue. Animal sanctuaries are expensive, as is running a shelter at all. Seeing as I feel like people's heads would explode if PETA was receiving any taxpayer funding, I don't see that being resolved anytime soon. Pragmatically, they are doing what they can. That's my opinion at least...
    Quote Quote