Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: TIA 4 Your Computer Expertise (por favor)

  1. -1
    Vaark's Avatar
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    19,246
    vCash:
    12741
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Question TIA 4 Your Computer Expertise (por favor)

    I've got several relatively new computers running different monitors for daily graphic-intensive work. I also have an old pentium 4 single core with 3 gig RAM hooked up to a 21 inch Acer for stuff like this and web surfing..... and that's the setup I'm suddenly having problems with.

    When I first boot up this machine, the Acer and boot graphics are perfectly legible on the monitor, but when windows starts up, all the fonts and graphics open up and stay wavy. However after I shut it down and reboot it's all fine. I'm assuming it's not the power supply (surge protector) since the Acer greeting and boot info is as usual - so that it's probably the integrated graphics processor that's at issue

    So my question to anyone who knows more about this stuff (which would be just about everyone except my GF), does it sound like the integrated ATI Ratheon Express 200 processor, and if so, is it worth putting in a dedicated graphics card (if yes, what should I be looking for that's compatible with the processor based on the integrated card?) vs just going out and grabbing a new desktop?

    TIA for any help (and any MM vote for Vaark would be appreciated).


    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    19,418
    vCash:
    11107
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Stop jerking it on your keyboard?
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1





    "The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

    The Chase for Lord Stanley Begins ...



    LETS GO PENS!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 12 13 14 15 16
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Vaark's Avatar
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    19,246
    vCash:
    12741
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks
    so you think the 12cc shorted something out?


    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Valandui's Avatar
    The Fluke

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    9,083
    vCash:
    8524
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    I've got several relatively new computers running different monitors for daily graphic-intensive work. I also have an old pentium 4 single core with 3 gig RAM hooked up to a 21 inch Acer for stuff like this and web surfing..... and that's the setup I'm suddenly having problems with.

    When I first boot up this machine, the Acer and boot graphics are perfectly legible on the monitor, but when windows starts up, all the fonts and graphics open up and stay wavy. However after I shut it down and reboot it's all fine. I'm assuming it's not the power supply (surge protector) since the Acer greeting and boot info is as usual - so that it's probably the integrated graphics processor that's at issue

    So my question to anyone who knows more about this stuff (which would be just about everyone except my GF), does it sound like the integrated ATI Ratheon Express 200 processor, and if so, is it worth putting in a dedicated graphics card (if yes, what should I be looking for that's compatible with the processor based on the integrated card?) vs just going out and grabbing a new desktop?

    TIA for any help (and any MM vote for Vaark would be appreciated).


    You have a card that still says ATI? It may be time to upgrade in general. My experience with this is fairly limited to recently building a gaming PC, but if you're looking to put in a new graphics card, I prefer NVIDIA products personally. Here's a list of stuff per a Google search I just did, if you're interested.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=amdd8y9j7u9z

    Valandui's Weekly Music Video

    Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Vaark's Avatar
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    19,246
    vCash:
    12741
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    You have a card that still says ATI? It may be time to upgrade in general. My experience with this is fairly limited to recently building a gaming PC, but if you're looking to put in a new graphics card, I prefer NVIDIA products personally. Here's a list of stuff per a Google search I just did, if you're interested.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=amdd8y9j7u9z
    thanks.. does this mean all these are compatible with that old integrated graphics processor and will seamlessly replace it? And of course, does it sound like the card is going, or can it be something else based on my description (if integr card is failing, is it likely that the other parts will fail also?) Right now I'm leaning towards just replacing it but this has not been a bad machine for limited purposes.. I'd never run one of my panels of 12 colorful, robust, busy charts on it though LOL.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Valandui's Avatar
    The Fluke

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    9,083
    vCash:
    8524
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    thanks.. does this mean all these are compatible with that old integrated graphics processor and will seamlessly replace it? And of course, does it sound like the card is going, or can it be something else based on my description (if integr card is failing, is it likely that the other parts will fail also?) Right now I'm leaning towards just replacing it but this has not been a bad machine for limited purposes.. I'd never run one of my panels of 12 colorful, robust, busy charts on it though LOL.
    Honestly, I just searched for cards compatible with your processor. If you were to put in a new card and set it as your primary graphics card, I don't see why you would have any issues. You could go for a comparable AMD/ATI card as well if you were worried about that if you decided to go that route. I'm not really a whiz with the mechanical aspects of a lot of it, but I guess it could be your issue. It may be your monitor as well.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    D0lphan72's Avatar
    Hokies class of 2016

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2009
    Posts:
    1,555
    vCash:
    2167
    Loc:
    Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox Logo
    yeah youre graphics card is seeing its last days. ATI blows to begin with lol. definitely look into NVIDIA or intel too. They both produce great products. (i work at a computer repair shop)



    1. Cj Mosley- ILB Alabama
    2. Joel Bitino- OT Nevada
    3. Troy Niklas- TE Notre Dame
    4. Trai Turner-OG LSU
    5. Aaron Murray- QB Georgia
    6. Marqueston Huff- S Wyoming
    7. Brandon Coleman-WR Rutgers
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. CK, your fantasy football expertise is needed.
    By thejetssuck in forum Fantasy Sports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
  3. I got a favor to ask.
    By Mike13 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 07:21 PM
  4. I need your expertise...
    By sec15 in forum Fantasy Sports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2002, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •