Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: TIA 4 Your Computer Expertise (por favor)

1. -1
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks

Question TIA 4 Your Computer Expertise (por favor)

I've got several relatively new computers running different monitors for daily graphic-intensive work. I also have an old pentium 4 single core with 3 gig RAM hooked up to a 21 inch Acer for stuff like this and web surfing..... and that's the setup I'm suddenly having problems with.

When I first boot up this machine, the Acer and boot graphics are perfectly legible on the monitor, but when windows starts up, all the fonts and graphics open up and stay wavy. However after I shut it down and reboot it's all fine. I'm assuming it's not the power supply (surge protector) since the Acer greeting and boot info is as usual - so that it's probably the integrated graphics processor that's at issue

So my question to anyone who knows more about this stuff (which would be just about everyone except my GF), does it sound like the integrated ATI Ratheon Express 200 processor, and if so, is it worth putting in a dedicated graphics card (if yes, what should I be looking for that's compatible with the processor based on the integrated card?) vs just going out and grabbing a new desktop?

TIA for any help (and any MM vote for Vaark would be appreciated).

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Stop jerking it on your keyboard?
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Chase for Lord Stanley Begins ...

LETS GO PENS!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 12 13 14 15 16
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks
    so you think the 12cc shorted something out?

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    I've got several relatively new computers running different monitors for daily graphic-intensive work. I also have an old pentium 4 single core with 3 gig RAM hooked up to a 21 inch Acer for stuff like this and web surfing..... and that's the setup I'm suddenly having problems with.

When I first boot up this machine, the Acer and boot graphics are perfectly legible on the monitor, but when windows starts up, all the fonts and graphics open up and stay wavy. However after I shut it down and reboot it's all fine. I'm assuming it's not the power supply (surge protector) since the Acer greeting and boot info is as usual - so that it's probably the integrated graphics processor that's at issue

So my question to anyone who knows more about this stuff (which would be just about everyone except my GF), does it sound like the integrated ATI Ratheon Express 200 processor, and if so, is it worth putting in a dedicated graphics card (if yes, what should I be looking for that's compatible with the processor based on the integrated card?) vs just going out and grabbing a new desktop?

TIA for any help (and any MM vote for Vaark would be appreciated).

You have a card that still says ATI? It may be time to upgrade in general. My experience with this is fairly limited to recently building a gaming PC, but if you're looking to put in a new graphics card, I prefer NVIDIA products personally. Here's a list of stuff per a Google search I just did, if you're interested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=amdd8y9j7u9z

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    One of 16 Vestal Virgins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    leaving for the coast
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    You have a card that still says ATI? It may be time to upgrade in general. My experience with this is fairly limited to recently building a gaming PC, but if you're looking to put in a new graphics card, I prefer NVIDIA products personally. Here's a list of stuff per a Google search I just did, if you're interested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=amdd8y9j7u9z
    thanks.. does this mean all these are compatible with that old integrated graphics processor and will seamlessly replace it? And of course, does it sound like the card is going, or can it be something else based on my description (if integr card is failing, is it likely that the other parts will fail also?) Right now I'm leaning towards just replacing it but this has not been a bad machine for limited purposes.. I'd never run one of my panels of 12 colorful, robust, busy charts on it though LOL.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    thanks.. does this mean all these are compatible with that old integrated graphics processor and will seamlessly replace it? And of course, does it sound like the card is going, or can it be something else based on my description (if integr card is failing, is it likely that the other parts will fail also?) Right now I'm leaning towards just replacing it but this has not been a bad machine for limited purposes.. I'd never run one of my panels of 12 colorful, robust, busy charts on it though LOL.
    Honestly, I just searched for cards compatible with your processor. If you were to put in a new card and set it as your primary graphics card, I don't see why you would have any issues. You could go for a comparable AMD/ATI card as well if you were worried about that if you decided to go that route. I'm not really a whiz with the mechanical aspects of a lot of it, but I guess it could be your issue. It may be your monitor as well.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hokies class of 2016

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox Logo
    yeah youre graphics card is seeing its last days. ATI blows to begin with lol. definitely look into NVIDIA or intel too. They both produce great products. (i work at a computer repair shop)

1. Cj Mosley- ILB Alabama
    2. Joel Bitino- OT Nevada
    3. Troy Niklas- TE Notre Dame
    4. Trai Turner-OG LSU
    5. Aaron Murray- QB Georgia
    6. Marqueston Huff- S Wyoming
    7. Brandon Coleman-WR Rutgers
    Quote Quote