Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thread: Current gay NFL player may come out in next few months

1. -121
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finintheburgh View Post
    like i said before im not religious.
    someone please tell why we cant give them all the benefits with a different ceremony?
    Because even naming something different is creating a distinction and can lead to continued discrimination. Much like it already has, with "civil unions"(which dont get the same benefits because they arent "marriage") and "seperate but equal" for racial equality. Its. All. Failed. Why repeat the same mistakes over and over again?

People should have the right to have a ceremony in anyway they wish. Thats called freedom.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

2. -122
    teammates

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Thats the flimsiest argument Ive ever heard. Black people were getting sprayed with fire hoses because they wanted to use the same bathrooms as white people 40-50 years ago. Half the population today was alive when that was going on.
    difference is people started to recognize the fact that they were wrong in the way they treated blacks, this is much more a religious issue for many. and that is much harder to get past. now i will say this, religion is becoming less important to more people with each passing generation
    Quote Quote  

3. -123
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    difference is people started to recognize the fact that they were wrong in the way they treated blacks, this is much more a religious issue for many. and that is much harder to get past. now i will say this, religion is becoming less important to more people with each passing generation
    The United States government is not based on any religion.

Whatever religious issues people have with it they can continue to have it. The government cant.

And for the record, freeing slaves was a religious issue for many. Hell, treating the Irish as human beings was a religious issue for many. It being "a religious issue" is no excuse for the government to discriminate. Id even say its no excuse for people to discriminate, but people are allowed to be bigots. I'll just treat them with the same level of respect they treat those who they view as "lessers".
    Quote Quote  

4. -124
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Ummm. Among other reasons this country went into civil war based on the treatment of blacks. I would say history will show them getting equal rights to be the far tougher road. Many religious people believe in the right to gay marriages including yours truly. Bill oreilly said that he's ok with. In a short time it will only be the fringe minority who will have issues with it. And I'm sure the transition will result in a lot less bloodshed
    Quote Quote  

5. -125
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    well the fed gov doesn't recognize gay marriage, so there marriages are irrelevant

gay marriage didnt exist anywhere before 1989, so if it was a true right how come it took so long to happen
    And i know im rehashing this post, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...e-sex_marriage
    Quote Quote  

6. -126
    teammates

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    The United States government is not based on any religion.

Whatever religious issues people have with it they can continue to have it. The government cant.

And for the record, freeing slaves was a religious issue for many. Hell, treating the Irish as human beings was a religious issue for many. It being "a religious issue" is no excuse for the government to discriminate. Id even say its no excuse for people to discriminate, but people are allowed to be bigots. I'll just treat them with the same level of respect they treat those who they view as "lessers".
    i just in how you view it. i agree the government cant and shouldnt discriminate against any of its people.
    where the problem comes in, is marriage has never been defined as a union between 2 people it almost always says a man and a woman.
    thats why its illegal for men to have 2 wives now, should they now be allowed to have as many wives as they see want or do we stop it at gay marriage. there does need to be a true definition but where do you draw the line. i got close friend who lives with 2 women , that's the lifestyle they choose, their committed to each other but they cant get married.
    Quote Quote  

7. -127
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i just in how you view it. i agree the government cant and shouldnt discriminate against any of its people.
    where the problem comes in, is marriage has never been defined as a union between 2 people it almost always says a man and a woman.
    thats why its illegal for men to have 2 wives now, should they now be allowed to have as many wives as they see want or do we stop it at gay marriage. there does need to be a true definition but where do you draw the line. i got close friend who lives with 2 women , that's the lifestyle they choose, their committed to each other but they cant get married.
    Yet your agreeing that "the gay" shouldnt get the same benefits as everyone else.

Yeah, and slavery was always defined as "lesser people" servitude. Again: time isnt an excuse for discrimination. Its our responsibility as civilized people to overturn the mistakes of the past.

Its illegal for a man to have 2 wives because of taxes and other reasons(the one that gets the media attention is the potential for abuse). If everyone could get married to any number of people and avoid their legal requirements, they would. The entire nation would be married to one another to get the benefits. And like you suggested, people can engage in relationships in a variety of ways. A married man can have a wife and girlfriend. Theres an entire philosophy(for lack of a better term) built around multiple partiners. The US government doesnt prevent any of those relationships from occuring. For things like hospital visitation rights and legal council benefits, people in those types of relationships are challenging their lack of rights in court.
    Quote Quote  

8. -128
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We should just let the gays marry and the people who aren't gay and don't like it should just mind their own business and live their own life.

I wish these religious nut bags who so strongly oppose what everyone else does would spend half of that time worrying about money management and raising their kids not to be ****ing ********s like they are.

Be a much better world without the overly religious telling everyone what to do.

Two dudes want to live each other. Who effing cares.

Quote Quote  

9. -129
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Current gay NFL player may come out in next few months

It still baffles me that people don't understand the distinction between the legal definition of marriage and the religious ceremony of marriage. They are two entirely separate things.

No one is calling for religious institutions to perform marriages for gay couples.

What people are calling for is that gay couples have their marriages recognized in the eyes of the State the same way straight marriages are. That includes all the tax incentives, visitation rights, etc.

Don't worry, your religious ceremonies will not be impacted in any way.

I just never understand why people want to get in the way of other people's happiness, especially when they will never have any interaction with them.

"Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense." - Robert Heinlein
    Quote Quote