Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland plans to draft expensive positions

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Interesting that he said pass rusher first.... considering he hasn't drafted one the entire time he has been a GM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Basically what that means is that Ireland doesn't believe in drafting BPA.

He believes in drafting BPA according to their definition of need.

Big glaring view into why Ireland chose not to fill holes with excellent talent and value this FA.

Because he's gonna draft "need" this year. According to their "tier" definition of BPA at "need positions."

Not the best draft philosophy. At. All.

LD
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marino420TD View Post
    Interesting that he said pass rusher first.... considering he hasn't drafted one the entire time he has been a GM.
    So Vernon isn't a pass rusher? Or odrick?
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DolphinDolphinDolphin
    To be fair Philbin did completely change our offense and defensive system to WCO and 4/3 D.
    He needs a completely different style player than Jeff was use to under Parcells and when Tony was here.

It took a while to adust I think but this draft should show what Jeff has learned and if he is truly committed to this style of play.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    and just ignore his other seasons. He has to be judged on his total body of work.
    That is true, but we already know we are stuck with him for at the very least this season. I'm tired of giving him grief, but before FA, I was a hater for sure

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis34 View Post
    That is true, but we already know we are stuck with him for at the very least this season. I'm tired of giving him grief, but before FA, I was a hater for sure
    Still not sure what he proved. I mean he did go out and get the top free agent but beyond that there are more questions than answers.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy42jack0 View Post
    So Vernon isn't a pass rusher? Or odrick?
    Odrick certainly isnt a pass rusher. We found that out last season. Nor was he drafted to be one.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Still not sure what he proved. I mean he did go out and get the top free agent but beyond that there are more questions than answers.

OK, I agree that his first couple years here were shaky, but honestly his last 3 drafts in a row have been quite good...

Mike Pouncey, Jared Odrick were both good 1'st round picks.... Reshad Jones in the 5'th round... these three players are all up and coming stars in the NFL...

Lamar miller and olivier vernon both played well last year... then you have players like Daniel thomas, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Koa Misi, Charles Clay, Johnathan Martin, John Jerry, Olivier Vernon..... These are all players just taken in the last 3 years!!! a lot of them are starters, competing for starting jobs, or they are key backups... I'm not even going to bring up Tannehill because I believe he was pressured into that one, but it's still up in the air whether or not that works out...

I mean I must admit the selections of Pat White, Jake Long over john beck, and Chad Henne were obviously fails.. but his last 3 drafts have been nothing short of elite. The names don't lie.
    Last edited by McMichael; 03-28-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McMichael View Post
    OK, I agree that his first couple years here were shaky, but honestly his last 3 drafts in a row have been quite good...

Mike Pouncey, Jared Odrick were both good 1'st round picks.... Reshad Jones in the 5'th round... these three players are all up and coming stars in the NFL...

Lamar miller and olivier vernon both played well last year... then you have players like Daniel thomas, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Koa Misi, Charles Clay, Johnathan Martin, John Jerry..... These are all players just taken in the last 3 years!!! a lot of them are starters, competing for starting jobs, or they are key backups... I'm not even going to bring up Tannehill because I believe he was pressured into that one, but it's still up in the air whether or not that works out...

I mean I must admit the selections of Pat White, Jake Long over john beck, and Chad Henne were obviously fails.. but his last 3 drafts have been nothing short of elite. The names don't lie.

Other than Martin, that list is horrifying. Second and third round picks shouldnt be "key" backups and on the verge of eating their way off the team.

And where did all of this Odrick love come from? Did i miss the Hall of Fame sending him a yellow jacket?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    The Man - Formerly Grush

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by McMichael View Post

Lamar miller and olivier vernon both played well last year... then you have players like Daniel thomas, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Koa Misi, Charles Clay, Johnathan Martin, John Jerry..... These are all players just taken in the last 3 years!!! a lot of them are starters, competing for starting jobs, or they are key backups... I'm not even going to bring up Tannehill because I believe he was pressured into that one, but it's still up in the air whether or not that works out...

I agree with you. But Odrick is not a budding star by any stretch...gotta see that the GM's learning and I (maybe naive) believe he's making some positive adjustments. This draft will be very telling.

Sign: Daryn Colledge
    Draft: 1. LB Ryan Shazier 2. OL Joel Bitonio 3. WR Donte Moncrief 4. OL Brandon Thomas 5. OT Laurent Duvernay Tardif 6. RB Bo Oliver 7. TBD

LT Albert LG Smith C Pouncey RG Colledge RT Bitonio
    Quote Quote