Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland plans to draft expensive positions

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McMichael View Post
    OK, I agree that his first couple years here were shaky, but honestly his last 3 drafts in a row have been quite good...

Mike Pouncey, Jared Odrick were both good 1'st round picks.... Reshad Jones in the 5'th round... these three players are all up and coming stars in the NFL...

Lamar miller and olivier vernon both played well last year... then you have players like Daniel thomas, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Koa Misi, Charles Clay, Johnathan Martin, John Jerry..... These are all players just taken in the last 3 years!!! a lot of them are starters, competing for starting jobs, or they are key backups... I'm not even going to bring up Tannehill because I believe he was pressured into that one, but it's still up in the air whether or not that works out...

I mean I must admit the selections of Pat White, Jake Long over Matt Ryan, and Chad Henne were obviously fails.. but his last 3 drafts have been nothing short of elite. The names don't lie.
    You have to look at drafts free agency the who she bang. The list you brought up with is not that impressive.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The bottom line is this franchise really went down the ****ter after Marino/Shula retired and from 2000 to 2012, the Patriots pretty much have controlled this division with the exception of a couple seasons when the Phins and Jets stepped it up. But I think we are in position to reclaim the AFC East IF Ireland can make some smart decisions between now and September. Philbin had to deal with the players brought in by the Tuna and others...Ireland also has made some bad decisions, but I also think he has done a pretty decent job as of late.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    and just ignore his other seasons. He has to be judged on his total body of work.

Don't you know Ireland was only been in charge since yesterday or some such excuse for 4 straight losing seasons
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This means first 5 picks are in no particular order:

2 CBs, OT, DE, and WR

RB in 4th
    TE in 5th
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Münchweiler, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    and just ignore his other seasons. He has to be judged on his total body of work.
    If that's the case let's sign Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders. Based on their total body of work they must be better than everything what we have. In case you haven't realized it yet: this is the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately"-league. If we go to the Championship game this year nobody will care about the 2008 draft. I am not saying we should give Ireland a lifetime contract but why not wait until after the season and re-assess Ireland then? So far I like what the team has done this offseason. We will only know in February 2014 if it pans out.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I smell smokescreen bigtime. All it does is confirm everyone's confusion on who we will be drafting.

last week we heard Rhodes doesnt neccessarily fit. now Cb is big need. But we draft horizontally. okie dokie. it doesnt mean anything except that we will draft a position of need, which has been true.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafAngelboy23 View Post
    How long has GM Jeff Ireland been around? Nothing happened that was miraculous for us.
    and what kind of players were Sparano and Parcells looking for? I believe the coach has significant say into what type of players he wants to coach. The GM's job is to find the best talent that fits the coaches philosophy. If said philosophy is outdated, then the team will not succeed.
    You certainly can't have a coach and GM diametrically opposed in their approach to player procurement.
    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo

Draft Ireland to draft "Expensive Players" in 2013

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ositions-draft

Pretty good read here if you're interested in getting an idea of what we are actually going to do in the draft this year.

There is certainly a case that he might go for a WR, but with the signings we made, I believe it is more likely to see a corner or a pass rush. That's fine by me because I've had us taking Bailey in the 2nd round all year. If he can sure up the defense through the draft and help build for the future now, we are going to be competitive for a long time.

BTW, I was someone who was hoping they'd take the gamble on The Honeybadger, but by the looks of it, according to what Jeff said, that probably won't happen. I hope they trade the 12th and one of our 2nds to move up for Milliner.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This signals a lower tier receiver pick to me! 3rd or 4th round. Absolutely no way they pick a receiver with the first 2 picks!

"I like the receiver position as it is building up right now, and we still have the draft to go," Ireland said. "The position as a whole has experience, some explosive elements, some possession elements."....

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

But if you listen to Ireland on Wednesday you're certain the Dolphins will draft a receiver, tailback, quarterback, offensive tackle, pass rusher, cornerback. At least that's what Ireland said.
    I doubt they draft a QB! I'm positive they will draft all the other positions the question is just in which order
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Omar Kelly article...pass.
    Quote Quote