Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland plans to draft expensive positions

1. -41
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    I said it before and I will say it again, Ireland is an idiot and only got to where he is at because of nepotism. I am just waiting for him to screw up this draft.
    who should we take then?
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Coral Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

Other than Martin, that list is horrifying. Second and third round picks shouldnt be "key" backups and on the verge of eating their way off the team.

And where did all of this Odrick love come from? Did i miss the Hall of Fame sending him a yellow jacket?
    Odrick has 57 tackles, 46 solo, 11 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 4 PD, and 8 STF in the last 2 years.... that is pretty good production. Plus he is still young and improving..

Also I forgot vernon on the list... he had a promising year last year
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McMichael View Post
    Odrick has 57 tackles, 46 solo, 11 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 4 PD, and 8 STF in the last 2 years.... that is pretty good production. Plus he is still young and improving..

Also I forgot vernon on the list... he had a promising year last year
    Odrick got 6 of those sacks as an interior lineman in a 3-4. Good job on his part, but not the role he was drafted for or his responsibility. And even if he was drafted to rush the passer, averaging 5.5 sacks per season is bad.

Lets put Odricks pass rushing season into perspective:
    JJ Watt(and interior 3-4 lineman) had more sacks then Odricks entire season by his 4th game.
    Von Miller had more sacks by his 6th game.
    Aldon Smith had more sacks by his 7th game.
    Bruce Irvin, during his rookie year, had more sacks by his 10th game.
    Chandler Jones, rookie, had more sacks by his 8th game.
    And Quinton Coples attained more sacks then Odrick, though it took him until his 15th game.

Every single one of those players are less experienced then Jared Odrick. All were first round picks like Odrick.

Believe it or not i like Odrick. This thread puzzled me at first, because Odrick is usually the scapegoat on this forum. Apparently people have decided to heap praise on everything our front office has ever done because we had a strong free agency period. Odrick is a good player, but he is not a good pass rusher. He wasnt drafted to be one. He is currently playing out of position due to necessity. We need to draft an actual pass rusher and kick Odrick inside.

And Vernon wasnt impressive by any means of the imagination. I liked that he got to the quarterback(and lord knows ive been one of the top people on here screaming for production), but he showed very little as a pass rusher. Would you trust Vernon to consistently beat NFL left tackles? I dont. Hes a player with a ton of potential that we got for a very fair price. But im not even remotely counting on him. Neither should Ireland.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Grab the best pass rusher available with the first pick (since that seems to be how you beat NE), Eddie Lacy with the 1st second rounder to shore up the running game, and then grab 2 CBs in your second 2nd round and one of your 3rd round picks. Through in an OL or TE or LB with that second 3rd rounder and you're good to go.

I love Lamar Miller more than most, but I would want to go into the city with the ability pound the ball as well as a speed guy. You put Lacy back there with Wallace opening up over the top and and you can control the ball on offense. Plus, everyone has two rb's now, and daniel thomas is terrible. If something happens to Miller, being left with D Thomas would suck
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i believe jason taylors first year he got 6 sacks. he was a third round pick.

olivier vernon also was excellent on special teams. i think the pass rusher thing is a little rich although with all these picks, we certainlyshould load up.

but one thing on kffl i read is that we are looking to move misi inside, thereby unleashing wheeler and ellerbe to blitz and cover receivers. kaddu should enter the picture as well. in coyles system, the pass rush comes from everywhere. i believe we were ranked 7th in sacks.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    i believe jason taylors first year he got 6 sacks. he was a third round pick.

olivier vernon also was excellent on special teams. i think the pass rusher thing is a little rich although with all these picks, we certainlyshould load up.

but one thing on kffl i read is that we are looking to move misi inside, thereby unleashing wheeler and ellerbe to blitz and cover receivers. kaddu should enter the picture as well. in coyles system, the pass rush comes from everywhere. i believe we were ranked 7th in sacks.
    Highly amused that one minute you point to a singular exception as proof that getting 6 sacks leads to greater things(or whatever you were trying to say) and the next bring up a player we spent a second round pick on to get sacks and busted in his chosen role.

Why should we count on Kaddu at all? He's a special teams player.

And yes, i forgot: SOVIET MIAMI NEEDS ONLY SCHEME.
    Last edited by Spesh; 03-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just hope that Ireland adds more play makers on both sides of the ball. I also hope he understands that we still need more explosive players on offense even after the signing of Wallace. One more thing I hope he's not still thinking that Odrick is the answer for our pass rush opposite wake.
    Quote Quote