Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris harper K-St & Aron Dobson

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Draft Chris harper K-St & Aron Dobson

I really feel these guys are being over looked...especially Dobson he is big fast and has great hips and great hands.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the buzz around Dobson has been a little flat for two reasons - poor QB play at the Senior Bowl didn't really allow any of the receivers to shine, but Dobson didn't have a big contribution. Secondly, he didn't run at the Combine.

So when websites and draftniks have been salivating over other prospects, he's been somewhat on the periphery.

Then he had his Pro Day. I don't know if anyone expected a 4.4 flat, but that's what they got. He had a poor vertical jump, but when you watch this guy play you wouldn't be too concerned about his catching ability. 4.4 at 6'3" would put him faster than any other tall receiver in the draft, including Justin Hunter & Patterson. I know it was a pro-day time but he ran a series of 40s all around the same mark (4.4-4.44)

A 205-lb, 6'3" guy, who was a 3-year starter and relatively injury-free, who runs a 4.4 and has great hands.... he isn't going to last long in the draft. I see him going bottom of the second or top of the third.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Chris Harper, I think there's potential to get a productive guy in the mid-late rounds with him. Nice solid build at 6'1 230ish, squares up the ball pretty well, snatches it with strength, and boxes guys out. I think he's going to benefit hugely by having a QB who can actually zip it out to the boundary (rather than Colin Klein kind of floating it to the edge).

Ran a 4.50 at the combine which seemed about right (maybe a tad faster than I would've guessed); but then at his pro day some scouts timed him around 4.46 which did surprise me. I have two issues with that timing and the speed on the field: 1) he doesn't have great initial explosion off the LOS (which is why him getting his time down to 4.46 is a surprise). 2) he doesn't seem to change gears and use acceleration very well - this is largely because he seems to lack explosion, lack the opportunity to burst off the line and/or get to top speed quickly; he doesn't shift up or down to get open, just kind of stays at one pace.

Here are his games against Baylor and WVU. You see that difficulty he has in getting consistent separation even against bad defenses, but you also see him using his frame and strength (two particular plays in a row starting at :35) to make plays. He also does a nice job moving the sticks by getting to the spot and making himself a target (runs routes that Gibson seems to excel at).
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

I like how physical he plays and how big and strong he is. I like his attitude and he's a really good run-blocker, fwiw, just says 'football player' to me. If he can tap into that alleged 4.4 speed more dynamically, I think he'll be a solid pro. I've seen most people peg him in the 4th.
    Last edited by Twitches Brew; 03-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To me, Aaron Dobson is soft.

Chris Harper interests me more.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i'm the exact opposite...dobson is on my target list pick #77...harper is not in my top 4 rounds
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hoops, surprised you like Dobson. Usually you're pretty hard on guys who can't separate. I'm a fan of Harper in the 4-5th range.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St George, UT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Love Dobson, I think he would be the red-zone threat we are lacking on the team right now. I really hope we take him or Escobar to be that threat with our 2b or 3a picks.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    FWIW I have some connections with the K-State coaching staff and I can tell you they're pretty pissed at themselves for not finding more ways to feature Chris Harper in that passing offense. But understandably their hands were tied with Collin Klein as their quarterback.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    Hoops, surprised you like Dobson. Usually you're pretty hard on guys who can't separate. I'm a fan of Harper in the 4-5th range.
    well i was gonna save this for my targets thread but i'll give it here now i guess...dobson gets off the los against press well for a big bodied wr...i think he's one of the few big bodied wrs in this class that can do that...i disagree with the ability to separate down the field on vertical routes personally and he's a guy that is gonna need to lean on dbs before getting into his cuts cause he lacks burst out of them...that's one of the knocks i see...not great burst out of his cuts...route running for a big body is solid...hips are better than average for his size imo...i do agree though that he's not the most physical wr for his size could use his body more but he has plus hands and he'll go up and get the ball despite not being a great leaper...needs to use his hands more to get separation...but he's got tools

he's got the speed also to threaten dbs deep and get them to open their hips up which is pretty key...and i think he's a red zone option...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The truth lies with the OP. They're both better prospects than what the draft community is led to believe.

However, I do agree that Dobson is a little soft, particularly at this point. Additionally, he has long strider speed for his length much like Johnathan Baldwin did, and it's going to be difficult for him to create consistent separation against upper echelon NFL DB's. They share similar lack of explosiveness in and out of breaks, and feature minimum RAC ability. I think Dobson profiles more as a strong #3/mediocre #2 option if he learns to block. I think he can play on Sundays with a little refinement.

Harper is stronger and more physical which helps him defeat press and win earlier in his route, which he showed at the Senior Bowl. He's been better coached to this point.
    Quote Quote