Normally I don't like doing mock drafts, whether entire first round or just Dolphins related. Mock drafts are like opinions which are like...well everyone has one. However, I was looking through some of the media reports of guys the Dolphins were interested in and wanted to see if I could slot a hybrid draft combining what I want and what I think the Dolphins will do. Here's where I ended up;
12) John Cyprien - S
42) Menelik Watson - OT
54) Travis Kelce - TE
77) Jon Bostic - LB
82) Will Davis - CB
110) Mike Gillislee - RB
146) Terry Hawthorne - CB
166) Quanterus Smith - DE
217) Jasper Collins - WR
224) Philip Lutzenkirchen - TE
250) Peter Lalich - QB
- Some of the media are taking about Vaccaro as the top safety in the draft. I don't agree, I'm liking John Cyprien out of FIU. Exciting to watch, I think he could be a late riser up to the 12th pick and the Dolphins have had reported interest in him. Will people see it as a reach? Yeah. But sometimes you just have to stay put and take the guy you like. Draft day will tell if I'm right about this or just crazy.
- There's no Tavon Austin, Ryan Swope, or any wide receivers before the 7th round with Jasper Collins. I just don't see a high pick on a WR. I'd love it, I'd give my left arm for them to draft Quinton Patton, but I don't see it as likely.
- There's been reported interested in both Will Davis and Jon Bostic and I think they fit those slots well.
- Mike Gillislee is a selfish pick, I'm a big fan and I have appreciation for his ability to run at Florida against strong defenses that knew UF couldn't pass the ball if they tried.
- Don't know about my slotting of Quanterus Smith, I have him as the compensatory pick in the 5th, don't know if he'll be there.
- I mailed in the 7th round, I went with CK's guy, Lalich because I don't really know about the back end of this QB class. I'm a fan of Lutzenkirchen who has some great hands.