Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Why the Miami Dolphins Absolutely Must Draft Desmond Trufant

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why the Miami Dolphins Absolutely Must Draft Desmond Trufant

I know this is a Bleacher report article, but makes a good argument. I have apprehensions about the election of Xavier Rhodes. He always seemed to be not that big of a factor when UF would play FSU.

The biggest remaining holes for the Miami Dolphins to fill out in the draft are cornerback and the offensive line. This we know to be true.

Despite the signing of former Atlanta Falcon Brent Grimes, Miami needs to continue to build up its secondary, and the best man for this job available to Miami in the draft is Washington's Desmond Trufant, and not Xavier Rhodes from Florida State.
    Dee Milliner might fit the bill, but there's no guarantee that he will be available for Miami with the 12th pick in the draft. It would have to trade up for him, but that would take sacrificing an extra draft pick or two.
    The man for the job is Trufant, and it's easy to see why.
    Let's start with Miami's defensive system, the zone coverage scheme. What is the zone coverage scheme?
    Read more:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...esmond-trufant
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is a rather simplistic view of zone coverage. Also, you're not going to play zone in 3rd down situations very often, you'll get picked apart by the better quarterbacks that you face. You've got to man up and play press or bump-and-run on 3rd downs in order to get the offense off the field.

We play zone mainly only on 1st and 2nd down in Saban's defense. Man up and press on 3rd down. This is why Milliner is viewed as the top CB prospect in the draft, and a rare prospect. It's difficult to find kids who excel playing both styles.

For example, Saban installs all versions of three-deep zone (buzz, sky, cloud, etc) all at the same time. Basically, all he's doing here is changing the variations of who the force (flat) defender is. It could be the corner (cloud), the safety (sky), or the linebacker (buzz).

Where Saban's scheme gets extremely advanced and complex is the pattern-match concepts that he teaches in zone. DB's learn how to re-route receivers without even touching 'em. It typically takes about 3 years for a kid to fully learn this concept. The NFL is in constant contact with Saban regarding how he teaches this.

You don't just stand there in zone "covering grass" with your eyes on the quarterback. You learn how to run with a receiver that enters your zone and pass him off to the next guy. Essentially, it's zone coverage that converts to man when a receiver enters your zone. However, the technique required to play this style to perfection without making mistakes takes time, reps, coaching.... and more time, reps, coaching. A DB has to remain in phase with receivers short to intermediate, and also any vertical threats. Once you've read the depth of the QB's drop, you know what pattern to expect.

I do agree that Trufant is an excellent fit, although he excels in a little different style.... zone/off-man because of his outstanding feet.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I keep coming back to Trufant and Rhodes. I'd love to get one of them with our 1st and trade back for Reid. That would solve the secondary issue in a big way. Also, I think you need three quality safeties to compete with players like Gronk and Hernandez.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    This is a rather simplistic view of zone coverage. Also, you're not going to play zone in 3rd down situations very often, you'll get picked apart by the better quarterbacks that you face. You've got to man up and play press or bump-and-run on 3rd downs in order to get the offense off the field.

We play zone mainly only on 1st and 2nd down in Saban's defense. Man up and press on 3rd down. This is why Milliner is viewed as the top CB prospect in the draft, and a rare prospect. It's difficult to find kids who excel playing both styles.

For example, Saban installs all versions of three-deep zone (buzz, sky, cloud, etc) all at the same time. Basically, all he's doing here is changing the variations of who the force (flat) defender is. It could be the corner (cloud), the safety (sky), or the linebacker (buzz).

Where Saban's scheme gets extremely advanced and complex is the pattern-match concepts that he teaches in zone. DB's learn how to re-route receivers without even touching 'em. It typically takes about 3 years for a kid to fully learn this concept. The NFL is in constant contact with Saban regarding how he teaches this.

You don't just stand there in zone "covering grass" with your eyes on the quarterback. You learn how to run with a receiver that enters your zone and pass him off to the next guy. Essentially, it's zone coverage that converts to man when a receiver enters your zone. However, the technique required to play this style to perfection without making mistakes takes time, reps, coaching.... and more time, reps, coaching. A DB has to remain in phase with receivers short to intermediate, and also any vertical threats. Once you've read the depth of the QB's drop, you know what pattern to expect.

I do agree that Trufant is an excellent fit, although he excels in a little different style.... zone/off-man because of his outstanding feet.
    What are your thoughts on Rhodes? Can he make the transition to zone? I do love his physical style of play.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I like Trufant more than Rhodes. If you are going to draft Trufant at 12, Hayden must be in the mix as well. Jamar Taylor looks like a great fit in the scheme. HOWEVER, if you want a DB at 12, Kenny Vaccaro is the best value. His versatile skill set of deep coverage, covering the slot and TE's alike, run support and over all athletic ability make him the best value of any DB in this draft. Vaccaro will make us happy when matching up vs. the Pats next year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I like Trufant more than Rhodes. If you are going to draft Trufant at 12, Hayden must be in the mix as well. Jamar Taylor looks like a great fit in the scheme. HOWEVER, if you want a DB at 12, Kenny Vaccaro is the best value. His versatile skill set of deep coverage, covering the slot and TE's alike, run support and over all athletic ability make him the best value of any DB in this draft. Vaccaro will make us happy when matching up vs. the Pats next year.
    I don't see how Vaccaro is a good value at 12. In fact, he's my worst-case scenario for the guys being talked about at 12. He's a solid player, but I don't think he's the best S in the draft, and with the depth of this Safety class, he makes no sense to me at 12. He's not a top-tier athlete, and he wasn't a big-time play maker. He's solid. But how does that warrant a top-15 pick?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    I don't see how Vaccaro is a good value at 12. In fact, he's my worst-case scenario for the guys being talked about at 12. He's a solid player, but I don't think he's the best S in the draft, and with the depth of this Safety class, he makes no sense to me at 12. He's not a top-tier athlete, and he wasn't a big-time play maker. He's solid. But how does that warrant a top-15 pick?

Absolutely. Safeties who clock on the wrong side of 4.6 and come with an arrest don't provide good value in the 1st round, much less in the top 15.

I grade him as a 2nd rounder and the #3 safety (#2 F/S) on my board.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Speaking of safetys, How would you guys feel about a Rambo or Swearinger in rounds 3-4?

Any insight into how these to 2 compare?
    Quote Quote