Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry » All Your Kids Belong To Us

1. -31
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry » All Your Kids Belong To Us

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    You also pay taxes on drones without any choice as to it’s utilization, & they also don’t give out tax deductibles to pacifists.
    The difference is that it is the federal government's responsibility to provide for national defense. They interjected themselves into education.

Now I whole heartedly agree that drones should never be used on US soil or on US citizens without presidential approval so that he/she is directly responsible. With that being said, there are really no viable alternatives to national defense but there are several alternatives to public education that are being frankly discouraged by the federal government.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    Well msnbc caters to their audience. It's a small audience but they cater to them. It's all liberal propaganda, all day all night. The difference is that even though fox undeniably leans right, they pull in independents and moderates as viewers. One reason is that many of their shows are debate oriented. There was a study done by I believe Stanford in terms of which news network had the closest to equal amount of announcers, pundits, guests etc in terms of political leaning and fox won easily. So while you have a guy like oreiley leading a show or even more of a fringe guy like hannity, their shows usually consist of them debating with someone on the other side of the spectrum. It makes good television and the people at fox know it. It's like that show on espn where Bayless and Stephen a smith yell at each other all show. A bunch of people with the same opinions discussing thing is boring so the only people who would watch those type of programming are usually the hardcore proponents to that ideology. You think moderates wanna watch Ed Shultz or Rachel Maddow go on tirades? They will watch oreiley and al sharpton go at each other though

That's why msnbc watchers abhor fox so much. Their viewers are hardcore leftys and even if something leans ever so slightly to the right, they consider it fringe right wing extremism. There is very little grey area to many of them. They watch msnbc or go to the huff post and the only thing they are exposed to is the extremism of their side. If that's all you hear than that's all you know and believe.
    Except the majority of people they have on Fox ("liberal" or "conservative") never know what they're talking about.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    kids are stupid because of fox news and corporations, duh
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I had a history teacher that won a Jeopardy show once. He had a law degree & teaches by choice. There’s far too few of him, & many many more whom in an ideal situation shouldn’t be molding the minds of our youth.
    Raise the standards for teaching, & pay them more accordingly. You’ll attract better talent, & get better results.

Sloganeering is cute, but realistically speaking you can’t make unintelligent, & uneducated parents be better at educating their kid; ‘you can’t turn **** into gold’. Not everyone is capable of giving their child the proper education, & every citizen should be afforded a chance at a proper education.
    I think you misunderstood my point. Increasing teacher standards will be a total waste of time and money and until there are some standards/expectations on students and parents.

Get students and parents to meet standards equivalent to those already on teachers. If the results aren't acceptable then discuss raising standards on teachers.

If you want to free up more money for teachers then separate the social services component from education and allow schools to focus on teaching.

In a secondary class of 30 kids you'll usually have 3-5 who see no value in education. They won't listen, participate, engage or put forth any effort. This is the "****" that no teacher, no matter how how gifted or how well compensated, can turn into gold. 55 minute class divided by 30 students. Do the math. The disruptive kids steal time from the willing and able students. However, it is often these kids on which the teacher and school is judged. We force teachers to "beat dead horses" while ignoring the academic thoroughbreds. Most states have standardized tests. A student getting a perfect score means nothing to the school. A student missing the required score by a single point causes backlash - so now we're teaching to that minimum standard. We don't care how many students have a mastery of the subject, we only care that they all can meet that standard. If not enough students meet the standard then we lower it.
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...white-students

Public schools will not be successful as long as there are such low standards of behavior and effort placed on students.

Private schools get around this by financially motivating/engaging the parents. Public schools don't have that resource.

Some radical ideas I've heard:
    No public assistance, ever, without a diploma or GED.
    A families current assistance is related to their students effort and behavior in school.
    Make all parents pay tuition, and have that refundable based on attendance, behavior and effort.

The standards for what it takes to teach should be raised...
    The National Education Association (or No Excellence Allowed) won't allow any competency tests so how do you know which teachers meet the standards. All teachers earn their "teaching certificate". Many continue their education throughout their career as that increases their salary. All the education and training in the world doesn't mean you can transfer your knowledge of a subject to an unwilling pupil.
    Last edited by GoFins!; 04-07-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    “I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

5. -35

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    [youtube]N3qtpdSQox0[/youtube]

How does this not scare the hell out of you???
    Well, I'm not sure why it should scare me. I agree completely that society should have a shared interest in educating its youth.

I will say that I think her reasoning for the current state of education is bull**** though.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure why it should scare me. I agree completely that society should have a shared interest in educating its youth.

I will say that I think her reasoning for the current state of education is bull**** though.
    What she says in this specific clip is not all that scary unless you overlay it with the loads of other crap that she has spewed. She is a journalist with a distinct agenda "reporting" for a network with a distinct agenda. That agenda also happens to be diametrically opposed to my core beliefs.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    What she says in this specific clip is not all that scary unless you overlay it with the loads of other crap that she has spewed. She is a journalist with a distinct agenda "reporting" for a network with a distinct agenda. That agenda also happens to be diametrically opposed to my core beliefs.
    You're diametrically opposed to making money?
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    You're diametrically opposed to making money?
    WTF are you talking about...that was a bit of a non-sequitur? I am as capitalist as they come and am diametrically opposed to the collectivist, ultra-liberal agenda of MSNBC. If they had their way, no one would make any money, we would all work for the government.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The difference is that it is the federal government's responsibility to provide for national defense. They interjected themselves into education.
    Hey I'm with you man; people who don't drive shouldn't have to pay taxes for the roads, either.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey I'm with you man; people who don't drive shouldn't have to pay taxes for the roads, either.
    Without our national defense our roads wouldn't be our roads dude.
    Quote Quote