Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

1. -11
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    If you want better teachers you have to pay them better. If you're going to pay teachers about the same salary as managers at Home Depot then that's the quality of worker you're going to get.

You want to home-school your kid? I'm all for that. However, there's only a small percentage of adults whom are actually qualified to home-school their kid without brain-washing them & completely failing them intellectually at preparing for higher institutions of learning. Public education is absolutely necessary & we should start allocating more resources to education & less on defense, & not the other way around. There's a natural hesitation to be willing to spend more on public education when you don't feel that money is going to your kid, so what the speaker in the video is trying to communicate is that people should be more concerned with the education of all kids in this country, & not just their own; rising tide lifts all boats, etc.

The United States is ranked 22 in literacy. Let that marinate while the Chinese pass us by.

In an international survey released just over two years ago, high school students from Shanghai scored at the top in math, science, and reading. Some Americans saw this as a Sputnik momenta wake-up call for the rest of the world to better educate its young or risk falling behind the Chinese. In March, Chinas leadership announced that education spending totaled 7.79 trillion yuan ($1.26 trillion) over the last five years, reaching a target of 4 percent of gross domestic product. The quality and level of education in China was comprehensively raised, said outgoing Premier Wen Jiabao on March 5.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the left is saturated with crazies like this one.

that's it, more spending on failed public education. how about more checks for single/teenage moms, that should get the kids on track.

besides individual responsibility is so over rated when someone else can pay your bills.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    The resistance to this blows my mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the alternative is to just let parents teach their kids Calculus?

You're not going to get better results with less resources........ **** it let's just keep building more bombs & tanks.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the alternative is to just let parents teach their kids Calculus?

You're not going to get better results with less resources........ **** it let's just keep building more bombs & tanks.
    In general, you are absolutely correct Rob. We should have higher paid teachers, spend our money wisely on education, and the like. However, the reality is that our schools have become a conditioning center of sorts. They are run by unions and tend to lean very left. Additionally, teachers cater to the slowest person in the class and seldom challenge the achievers.

The reason that our test scores are lower than other countries is not that we are dumber, far from it, but that we test everyone and most other countries weed out the slow, unfocused, or trouble makers before that reach adolescence. It is their best versus our average. In out quest to give everyone a chance, we refuse to leave anyone behind. Sound familiar? However, dragging the stragglers slows everyone else to a crawl.

I am fairly certain that we spend more per student than any other nation. The problem is not money, it is the mindset of our country that is killing us.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

BTW, I am pretty well qualified to teach my homeschooled granddaughter calculus and combined with my wife, she is very well taught. Not everyone had this opportunity, I admit, but she will be quite well prepared for college.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    The move then should be to improve it, & not suck funds from it because you don't like the way it's currently run. That helps absolutely no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    BTW, I am pretty well qualified to teach my homeschooled granddaughter calculus and combined with my wife, she is very well taught. Not everyone had this opportunity, I admit, but she will be quite well prepared for college.
    You're one of the few.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

If you want better teachers you have to pay them better. If you're going to pay teachers about the same salary as managers at Home Depot then that's the quality of worker you're going to get.

You want to home-school your kid? I'm all for that. However, there's only a small percentage of adults whom are actually qualified to home-school their kid without brain-washing them & completely failing them intellectually at preparing for higher institutions of learning. Public education is absolutely necessary & we should start allocating more resources to education & less on defense, & not the other way around. There's a natural hesitation to be willing to spend more on public education when you don't feel that money is going to your kid, so what the speaker in the video is trying to communicate is that people should be more concerned with the education of all kids in this country, & not just their own; rising tide lifts all boats, etc.

The United States is ranked 22 in literacy. Let that marinate while the Chinese pass us by.
    We have paid teachers better, for decades now. It has not helped in any provable way.

IMO it's not about money, it's about accountability. If I do a poor job I get fired or asked to not come back. Seems pretty fair to me. It makes me better at what I do, and it provides a better product to the consumer.

Lets make our educational system a private enterprise. I bet they can't do any worse. Then again, unions prob wouldn't be very welcome.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Paying them better then the past doesn't mean they're well paid. What's the average base salary of a starting High-school teacher, 35, 40 grand? You're not attracting the best & the brightest with that kind of money. Standards for teaching should be higher & so should the pay accordingly.

They also already have private education. Not everyone can afford it.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not all about money with teachers, especially young/idealistic teachers. As they get older they realize they're only half to a third of the equation and only have that much influence no matter how hard they work.

No amount of money makes it possible to turn **** into gold.

They work about 185 days a year.

Why do we never talk about the other half of the equation: "better parents" and "better students"?

Public schools are as much a dispensary of social programs as institutes of learning anymore.

You want to home-school your kid? I'm all for that. However, there's only a small percentage of adults whom are actually qualified to home-school their kid without brain-washing them & completely failing them intellectually at preparing for higher institutions of learning.
    Don't forget that many teachers aren't qualified either. An involved parent motivating a student is part of what makes home schooled students MORE successful than public school students.

Public education is absolutely necessary & we should start allocating more resources to education...
    The government throwing more money at a problem never helps. Doubling a teachers salary does not give him/her more hours in a day or motivate the students in anyway.

If you are advocating more money spent specifically on motivated kids who pay attention and do their homework then you'll get more argument from me. If you're advocating even more money spent on some underachieving group that has shown no improvement despite funds being thrown their way for decades then no thank you.

It's not just the Chinese and it's not a money issue. In terms of money spent per child from K-12 the USA ranks 2nd globally.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...llege-all-male
    Im somewhat disappointed that more African Americans dont think for themselves and just go with whatever theyre supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're not going to get better results with less resources......
    History has shown us that we're not going to get better results from government institutions with more resources so now what?
    Quote Quote