Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

  1. -21
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    3,488
    vCash:
    11179
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    The move then should be to improve it, & not suck funds from it because you don't like the way it's currently run. That helps absolutely no one.



    You're one of the few.
    I have no intentions of sucking funds from education but also have no intentions of throwing money at it every time a problem arises. Now, I will say that I am very opposed to a lot of funds from the federal government going to public education at the local level. It is not their place. However, defense is their place.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    GoFins!'s Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    492
    vCash:
    1096
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    ... it's about accountability. If I do a poor job I get fired or asked to not come back.
    WHOSE ACCOUNTABILITY?

    If 29 students pass a class and 1 fails who was unaccountable?

    Here's a true story. A high school physics student is failing so her mom calls for a parent-teacher conference with the administrator. The teacher shows the parent the grade book. The line across from her child's name is blank except for test scores. Not one homework assignment has been turned in. Conference over, right? No! The parent and administrator talk to the teacher for an hour about making the assignments and expectations more clear. The teachers keeps referring to the grade book. Her very bright child is the only not not doing assignments. Every other student is getting the message.

    99% of failure in public schools is from lack of effort.
    Im somewhat disappointed that more African Americans dont think for themselves and just go with whatever theyre supposed to say and think."


    - Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    3,488
    vCash:
    11179
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    They also already have private education. Not everyone can afford it.
    Ahhh, then why do so many fight so hard against vouchers? Why do we have to pay federal and property taxes funding public education with no choice as to its utilization? Why aren't private school or homeschooling expenses tax deductible? Could it be that the government has no intentions of encouraging our children to get the best education in lieu of their conditioning, i mean education?
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    GoFins!'s Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    492
    vCash:
    1096
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Paying them better then the past doesn't mean they're well paid. What's the average base salary of a starting High-school teacher, 35, 40 grand? You're not attracting the best & the brightest with that kind of money. Standards for teaching should be higher & so should the pay accordingly.

    They also already have private education. Not everyone can afford it.
    Do you know who CHOOSES to afford private education?

    ALMOST HALF OF PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS!!!
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    Harry_Bagpipe's Avatar
    Archibald Meatpants

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    6108
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Ahhh, then why do so many fight so hard against vouchers? Why do we have to pay federal and property taxes funding public education with no choice as to its utilization? Why aren't private school or homeschooling expenses tax deductible? Could it be that the government has no intentions of encouraging our children to get the best education in lieu of their conditioning, i mean education?
    The governments intentions are to make you as dependent on them as possible.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    3,488
    vCash:
    11179
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    WHOSE ACCOUNTABILITY?

    If 29 students pass a class and 1 fails who was unaccountable?

    Here's a true story. A high school physics student is failing so her mom calls for a parent-teacher conference with the administrator. The teacher shows the parent the grade book. The line across from her child's name is blank except for test scores. Not one homework assignment has been turned in. Conference over, right? No! The parent and administrator talk to the teacher for an hour about making the assignments and expectations more clear. The teachers keeps referring to the grade book. Her very bright child is the only not not doing assignments. Every other student is getting the message.

    99% of failure in public schools is from lack of effort.
    The problem is that no one is really accountable right now in public education. Not the teachers and certainly not the students. Kids are not allowed to fail or be held accountable. Then we wonder why the schools produce kids who are fairly useless in the workforce because they have no work ethic and feel entitled. But wait, Super Government is there to save the day with social programs do that you never have to be accountable for your choices!
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    GoFins!'s Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2008
    Posts:
    492
    vCash:
    1096
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    In general, you are absolutely correct Rob. We should have higher paid teachers, spend our money wisely on education, and the like. However, the reality is that our schools have become a conditioning center of sorts. They are run by unions and tend to lean very left. Additionally, teachers cater to the slowest person in the class and seldom challenge the achievers.

    The reason that our test scores are lower than other countries is not that we are dumber, far from it, but that we test everyone and most other countries weed out the slow, unfocused, or trouble makers before that reach adolescence. It is their best versus our average. In out quest to give everyone a chance, we refuse to leave anyone behind. Sound familiar? However, dragging the stragglers slows everyone else to a crawl.

    I am fairly certain that we spend more per student than any other nation. The problem is not money, it is the mindset of our country that is killing us.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    You're one of the few.
    Based on his above statement he is absolutely one of the few that understands.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,840
    vCash:
    6267
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

    MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Paying them better then the past doesn't mean they're well paid. What's the average base salary of a starting High-school teacher, 35, 40 grand? You're not attracting the best & the brightest with that kind of money. Standards for teaching should be higher & so should the pay accordingly.

    They also already have private education. Not everyone can afford it.
    Lol so they should get paid a lot more even though as whole they are doing a poor job?


    Ok...

    ---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    The governments intentions are to make you as dependent on them as possible.
    Damn right!!!!
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,197
    vCash:
    6704
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins
    It's not all about money with teachers, especially young/idealistic teachers. As they get older they realize they're only half to a third of the equation and only have that much influence no matter how hard they work.
    I had a history teacher that won a Jeopardy show once. He had a law degree & teaches by choice. Theres far too few of him, & many many more whom in an ideal situation shouldnt be molding the minds of our youth.

    Raise the standards for teaching, & pay them more accordingly. Youll attract better talent, & get better results.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins
    No amount of money makes it possible to turn **** into gold.

    Why do we never talk about the other half of the equation: "better parents" and "better students"?
    Sloganeering is cute, but realistically speaking you cant make unintelligent, & uneducated parents be better at educating their kid; you cant turn **** into gold. Not everyone is capable of giving their child the proper education, & every citizen should be afforded a chance at a proper education.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins
    The government throwing more money at a problem never helps. Doubling a teachers salary does not give him/her more hours in a day or motivate the students in anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    Lol so they should get paid a lot more even though as whole they are doing a poor job?
    Ok...
    Im not saying to just throw raises at all the existing teachers. The standards for what it takes to teach should be raised, & with that so should the pay. Its capitalism. If you want talent youre going to have to pay for it. Its like complaining about the incompetency of the TSA even though theyre all being paid like 10$ an hour. You get what you pay for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy
    Ahhh, then why do so many fight so hard against vouchers? Why do we have to pay federal and property taxes funding public education with no choice as to its utilization? Why aren't private school or homeschooling expenses tax deductible? Could it be that the government has no intentions of encouraging our children to get the best education in lieu of their conditioning, i mean education?
    You also pay taxes on drones without any choice as to its utilization, & they also dont give out tax deductibles to pacifists.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    ohall's Avatar
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2002
    Posts:
    26,840
    vCash:
    6267
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks

    MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I had a history teacher that won a Jeopardy show once. He had a law degree & teaches by choice. Theres far too few of him, & many many more whom in an ideal situation shouldnt be molding the minds of our youth.

    Raise the standards for teaching, & pay them more accordingly. Youll attract better talent, & get better results.



    Sloganeering is cute, but realistically speaking you cant make unintelligent, & uneducated parents be better at educating their kid; you cant turn **** into gold. Not everyone is capable of giving their child the proper education, & every citizen should be afforded a chance at a proper education.





    Im not saying to just throw raises at all the existing teachers. The standards for what it takes to teach should be raised, & with that so should the pay. Its capitalism. If you want talent youre going to have to pay for it. Its like complaining about the incompetency of the TSA even though theyre all being paid like 10$ an hour. You get what you pay for.



    You also pay taxes on drones without any choice as to its utilization, & they also dont give out tax deductibles to pacifists.
    It will never happen. Teachers unions won't ever allow it. The real issue is many of the ppl who run these unions don't really appear to have students best interest at heart. More often than not it appears their concern is to simply get the teachers they represent more money so in turn they have more power and money.

    If they really cared they'd wouldn't ask for more $ when it's obvious to most our current system is a joke and is without a doubt failing.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. I guess TCU does not belong in the BCS
    By DKphin in forum College Sports Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 11:44 PM
  2. Kids' show host fired over 'Virgin' video
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 11:58 AM
  3. this belong here? (nikki)
    By Slappy8800 in forum The Ladies Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 01:15 AM
  4. Replies: 212
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •