Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

1. -41
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Without our national defense our roads wouldn't be our roads dude.
    What hogwash. We could defend our borders with a quarter of our current defense budget.

Most of our bloated defense budget isn't even being put to use defending our borders, it's being spent fruitlessly trying to extinguish roaches in a distant land, but only managing to create new roaches in the process. Not really the best use of "defense" money.
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Hey I'm with you man; people who don't drive shouldn't have to pay taxes for the roads, either.
    Outside of interstates, I don't want the federal government involved in transportation either. On a local/state level, if you don't drive why should you pay for roads? However, the caveat is that public transportation goes away as well. So, you would indirectly pay for roads or rail maintenance and construction through your purchase of bus/train/subway fare which would become commensurately more expensive but your tax rate would go down.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    What hogwash. We could defend our borders with a quarter of our current defense budget.

Most of our bloated defense budget isn't even being put to use defending our borders, it's being spent fruitlessly trying to extinguish roaches in a distant land, but only managing to create new roaches in the process. Not really the best use of "defense" money.
    I never mentioned anything about the size or how much it should or shouldn't cost.

What I typed in my previous post was 100% accurate.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    WTF are you talking about...that was a bit of a non-sequitur? I am as capitalist as they come and am diametrically opposed to the collectivist, ultra-liberal agenda of MSNBC. If they had their way, no one would make any money, we would all work for the government.
    The only agenda I see coming from MSNBC is to make money.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'll argue that is in fact the problem. For what the last 50-years the way we educate our children has said nothing but it is the communities problem. We have spent billions on education, and it seems as each year passes the system appears to get worse and worse.

More and more parents appear to be attempting to home school their children. IMO the closer we get back to placing the burden of how children learn back on the parents the more our society will benefit. If you are a caring parent these days that has a child in the public school system the less you can ask to keep the teacher accountable. Most teachers today are wrapped in a cocoon of protection.
    I beg your pardon?
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

6. -46

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    We have paid teachers better, for decades now. It has not helped in any provable way.

IMO it's not about money, it's about accountability. If I do a poor job I get fired or asked to not come back. Seems pretty fair to me. It makes me better at what I do, and it provides a better product to the consumer.

Lets make our educational system a private enterprise. I bet they can't do any worse. Then again, unions prob wouldn't be very welcome.
    *cough* bull**** *cough*

I watch quality teachers leave my profession every year due to frustration. We get paid **** wages compared to others of our education level (I DID know that going in, but it's insulting when people that don't know what they're talking about start spewing bs) ... We are required to return to school in the summers at our own expense to take "refresher courses" in whatever ruling political party's ideological flavor of the month is ... We donate our extra time constantly for the betterment of our students ... We spend money out of our own pockets to provide for our students on a daily basis ... We help the kids whenever they need it ... Hell, every year I'm a better parent to some of my students than their biological ones. (feel free to shudder at that one)

In short, you have no clue about what you speak of.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Ahhh, then why do so many fight so hard against vouchers? Why do we have to pay federal and property taxes funding public education with no choice as to its utilization? Why aren't private school or homeschooling expenses tax deductible? Could it be that the government has no intentions of encouraging our children to get the best education in lieu of their conditioning, i mean education?
    Private school education is no better than public school education. It's not as if I tell my students, "Sorry, little Billy. I'd love to tell you all about that, but your parents didn't send you to private school - so you'll just have to remain stupid."

The difference lies in the effort of the student. When kids don't care and won't try, it's usually (in my experience) because the parents don't care. At least until they want to find something to bitch about.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Do you know who CHOOSES to afford private education?

ALMOST HALF OF PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS!!!
    Certainly not the case in my area.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    The problem is that no one is really accountable right now in public education. Not the teachers and certainly not the students. Kids are not allowed to fail or be held accountable. Then we wonder why the schools produce kids who are fairly useless in the workforce because they have no work ethic and feel entitled. But wait, Super Government is there to save the day with social programs do that you never have to be accountable for your choices!
    Now, THIS, I can get behind.

I teach 8th graders. They all know that even if they fail - they still get promoted to high school next year (Unless the parent asks to have the kid held back ... has happened only once in my career - it worked. Kid was so embarrassed that he finally started buckling down. He graduated high school with honors.) Here, it's not until high school where they can flunk and be left back a grade. Many just say, "F it" and drop out at 16.

They aren't held accountable for their lack of effort. They tend to just skate by without really caring at all. Then, when (if) they enter the work force, they're surprised by the "unrealistic" demands of employers.

This is where we are headed.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

MSNBC Host Melissa Harris-Perry All Your Kids Belong To Us

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Private school education is no better than public school education. It's not as if I tell my students, "Sorry, little Billy. I'd love to tell you all about that, but your parents didn't send you to private school - so you'll just have to remain stupid."

The difference lies in the effort of the student. When kids don't care and won't try, it's usually (in my experience) because the parents don't care. At least until they want to find something to bitch about.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Certainly not the case in my area.
    I think it depends on the area. I went to Private School after the 2nd grade, however most of my friends went to public school. Freshman year of high school I shadowed one of my close friends at Fort Lauderdale High in hopes of maybe transferring there to be with my friends. It was a dramatic difference in quality. The teachers had no control of the situation. The classes weren't structured well and I didn't feel like I was learning anything at all. Granted, it was only one day, but the difference was jarring. Additionally, the school seemed like a prison with their barbed wire fences.

Public School, at least in South Florida, sucks. I wouldn't send my kid to one if I had the means.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    dump the teachers union. problems get solved, life leans forward.

it's not that hard.
    Quote Quote